Klipsch Chorus vs Cornwall’s 1988

Kram Snave

I just purchased a pair of what I was told were Cornwall’s but the information on the back near the plugs say they are Chorus speakers. The plate has patent information saying 1988. I have no serial numbers but everything other than the plate reading Chorus leads me to believe they are Cornwall’s. They are 37 1/2” H x 25 1/4” W x 15 1/2” D. I bought them from a friend who had them in storage, they sound great and I love them but I am confused as to what they are. Any help is appreciated.

DEE847DF-D7B5-46AD-9EA9-DFAE1EB1FE3A.jpeg

Edited by Kram Snave
Add photo

Those are Cornwall 2’s

If the Chorus crossover is still attached to the terminal plate you have a little bit more extension in the woofer and midrange than originally intended by the engineers at Klipsch.

CW(1,2) crosses at 600/6000. CH1 crosses at 650/7000.

Whether that is good or bad is subjective.

The K-34 (K-33 dressed up) woofer can easily go higher, maybe less “harsh” midrange as a result, and you won’t have any overlap in the midrange and tweeter as the K-57 rolls off by 7kHz. Nice for when you put titanium diaphragms in the tweeters!

Now you’re going to have to pull the the terminal plate off, carefully, to have a look-see!

Thanks for everyone’s input.  Here’s what I have, Cornwall’s with updated Chorus midrange horns. I took them to a Klipsch dealer and he figured it out for me. I am very happy with them but want to clean up the cabinets since somebody painted them black. These are 1988 or 89 speakers, does anyone have experience with fixing the finish or letting me know what to expect? 

Mark

11 hours ago, Kram Snave said:

Thanks for everyone’s input.  Here’s what I have, Cornwall’s with updated Chorus midrange horns. I took them to a Klipsch dealer and he figured it out for me. I am very happy with them but want to clean up the cabinets since somebody painted them black. These are 1988 or 89 speakers, does anyone have experience with fixing the finish or letting me know what to expect? 

Mark

You never know what to expect because you never know why they were painted.  If you are lucky and the veneer was good, you can strip them without sanding much (veneer isn't too thick) and get a reasonable good wood finish back on them.  Of course depending on what paint and how porous the finish will be how much of the paint might still be left in the wood.  Might be worth a try.  You can always paint them black again.

I recently refinished a pair Heresy 1 raw birch that had been painted black. I stripped the paint off and carefully sanded them down.  I ended up putting 3 coats of Tung oil on them and they looked great when done.  I guess it all depends on what's under the black paint on yours.