BMS 4592ND Mid vs 4592-16HE Mid Shorting ring question

I intend to upgrade to BMS 4592ND-Mid drivers for a 3 way horn system, tube amps, passive crossovers.  I have heard conflicting opinions from 2 parties whom I respect- one says that the 4592HE is the way to go because for minimal additional cost it adds a shorting ring that lowers distortion and flattens out impedance.  The other says that HE is for high power, and for my home stereo it adds nothing.  I see some threads about shorting rings and some unanswered questions about these specific drivers, but do any of you have any experience directly comparing these or similar drivers with and without shorting rings?

I cannot comment on the HE but I have the 4592ND doing mid work in a three way system and they perform very well. Never had an issue it an of the problems the the HE are intended to protect you from. I drive mine with an 80 watt NAD integrated which never gets pushed to the limit (even if I am rocking out). I would think your tube amps would work very well together. 

• Like 1

In your research, did you find the expressed reasons for shorting rings in general?  In the case of those drivers specifically?  Do you anticipate their functionality being necessary or worthwhile in your scenario?

I realize you're asking here in part to make that determination.

In my understanding the rings as much as anything address issues relating to excursion of the coil through the gap.  How much excursion are you anticipating?

Without knowing more about all the specifics I have to say my gut goes with the "not needed by you" advice.

The HE adds a shorting ring, and what else?  Surely that's not the only difference between them.

• Like 1

Glens,

Thanks for the input.  Shorting rings are added to lower distortion and (I believe) flatten impedance, but I can't say if these are helpful at my listening room levels.  That is the information that I am seeking.  I think that I am fine to buy standard model, that is for sure, but it is worth my while to seek some insight from anyone who has compared them... if such a person exists and is on this forum.  I used my current EV1824M for over 30 years, I would like to repeat that success of selecting, buying, and then stop thinking about it.  While I'm at it though, I should show diligence.

27 minutes ago, tubesandhorns said:

Shorting rings are added to lower distortion and (I believe) flatten impedance

Yes, but their mere presence alone isn't what brings that about.  It's relative to aspects of driver operation where they have effect.  You're only going to achieve a mm or two of excursion, right?  If you don't get things moving far enough the ring will stay pretty much right out of the loop even if it's there.  And there may be associated other differences between the drivers which could, as Dean alluded to, necessitate established passive crossover recipe changes.

If you're following a project recipe and want expected results, stick with the ingredients it was made for/with.

That's what I'm thinking, at any rate.  Since I actually lack the specific requirement you asked for, I'll bow out at this point.

• Like 1