Banana plug sizes and Klipsch speaker terminals

Dee Jay

Hello all.

My 1st post on the Forums.  This subject may very well have been discussed before.  If so, please post a link that I might follow....

Are the 5-way binding posts universal, size wise, across most of the Klipsch line?

I'm trying to terminate my 12 gauge speaker cable, and have been looking at high quality banana plugs as an option. (any suggestions as to decent plugs would be appreciated).  There seems to be a few different options, diameter-wise, for the plug end themselves, and so I want to get the size right before I buy.  Older Monster mini bananas work, but wont accept the 12G speaker wire.  Makes me wonder if there is a "standard" size for bananas, and if so, would they be too large for my speakers.

I can either pop the cap off of the end of the post, and use that, or use the opening at the base of the post.  Kind of depends on how I'm going to position the speakers in my home.

I have a modest HT system I'm setting up (14M, 25C, 12SWi, 14S), with an older Denon receiver with spring clips (don't laugh) that I'm using temporarily, as my older receiver gave up the ghost. (I'd also take recommendations on straight pin connectors/terminals that will work with 12G cable for the spring clips.  Many don't.  I have a tight space for cable management behind the receiver)

Basically, I have the time and desire to try out different cable terminals and see which one works best for my purposes.

Any help, suggestions or recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.

I believe... trying to remember, that they moved them closer together  so standard dual banana plugs no longer fit. That's so European power cables won't also fit. Seemed weird to me since you wouldn't plug a male power device into to it.

I like Parts Express angled banana plugs part #091-3608.

Good quality

Good price

Locking screw tab that tightens pin into binding post

Stackable - think of the possibilities!

Large receptacle for cables and dual screws

Poly carbonate casing

No affiliation, I really do like them.

The Pomona company is the standard for banana plugs........They are the only one you can count on for proper fit and finish..........Most of the ones available are mis fitting Chinese junk...........They have to have the correct "tension"...........Make sure they are only "Pomona"        Will V

54 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Spade terminals are superior to banana plugs, if you didn't know that. 

I beg to differ but in my opinion, spade terminals are not superior to banana plugs!

I have known to trip over the my speaker wires with such force that the spade terminals either ripped right off the wires or damaged the terminal block on my speakers.

With banana plugs, my speaker wires just pop right off the speakers and I just plug them right back.  I have always use banana plugs forever and no wires have ever been damage from their usage.

Any wires attach semi-permanent to speakers are prone to damage when being tripped over.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Spade terminals are superior to banana plugs, if you didn't know that. 

The pecking order might be this, worst to best :

Push to fit spring connectors

Banana Plugs

Spade lugs

Soldered connections

The above is off the top of my head.  Have fun, enjoy the system.

Jeff Medwin

Jeff fancies himself to be a voice of authority in all things audio. As such, he feels the need to infect every thread with his statements of absolutes. Notice how he states his preference as fact and then proceeds to "rank" the methods without giving any context around the decisions whatsoever.

This guy is a tool, but not the kind you use regularly. He's that niche OEM tool you bought for a brake job on a car that you no longer own and no longer need, but can't seem to remember to ban from your toolbox because it's still metal and performs a function and doesn't actually violate the terms of service for living in your toolbox. So it just sits there and grates on you every time you open up the drawer, and you shove it to the back but it still slides to the front and reminding you of its uselessness. It screams "I'm a specialized OEM tool, so I know everything and have spent time around other super impressive OEM tools and so you should listen to me when I say that you need me for whatever job you're about to do!!".. but you don't. Drop that tool into the trash, like so many other tool owners have done with this OEM tool and their toolboxes.

As for banana plugs, I have these currently in play and while they secure nicely to the wire, they absolutely slip in and out of all binding posts that I own (Denon receiver and ATI amplifier). I'd strongly avoid them and I am considering the premium monoprice ones as a replacement.

1-pair-of-high-quality-gold-plated-banan

53 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

As for banana plugs, I have these currently in play and while they secure nicely to the wire, they absolutely slip in and out of all binding posts that I own (Denon receiver and ATI amplifier). I'd strongly avoid them and I am considering the premium monoprice ones as a replacement.

If those are the Monoprice ones, the end seems to magically loosen on them also.  See the Nakamichi ones I referenced above.  You'll be a fan once you use them.

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If those are the Monoprice ones, the end seems to magically loosen on them also.  See the Nakamichi ones I referenced above.  You'll be a fan once you use them.

Thanks Carl. The tips do indeed come unscrewed magically on their own, in the version pictured above. I'll look into the Nakamichi models. Here's the other monoprice plugs I'm considering:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21918&gclid=CjwKCAjwkenqBRBgEiwA-bZVtscY1WN7J32phhxqJ1E5KS0HyBWVVGCqbF1dcaPFkQTSBCdTo2RkvBoCXVkQAvD_BwE

41a9owA0gxL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg