Banana plug sizes and Klipsch speaker terminals

Dee Jay

I think I opened up the Speaker Wire Connector Terminals Can O' Worms.

Not entirely unexpected, though.

A big thank you to all your opinions and comments.  I find them to be very helpful, which is really what I'm after.

Feel free to keep them coming, if you do not find them a waste of time.

I especially like the copper bar idea.  Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?  I do have some generic Scotch Tape as well.  I heard it has minimal signal loss.  And it's archival as well.  I'm certain that helps, too.

Yes banana plugs are a standard size + or - manufacturing tolerances of course. And you know those four flaps of metal contact that look like a peel of a banana(hence the name) can be gently pried out to give a tighter connection if necessary.

5 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I am afraid many / most in audio, don't use good electronics, and its usually the amplifiers that are in dire need of improvement.  Banana plugs fit part-and-parcel with mediocre hi fi implementations, mediocre amplifiers, in all of my experience and, in my own opinion.  Its really simple - to me banana plugs are mid-fi.  Audio quality spade lugs and Cardas CCGR speaker posts are high-fidelity.

It’s really simple to put the money where your mouth is.

5 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

It’s really simple to put the money where your mouth is.

How can you not believe someone who refers to his soldering with this quote?

Just always remember this fellas: " The bigger the glob, the better the job ."    

That's money right there.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

I think I opened up the Speaker Wire Connector Terminals Can O' Worms.

Not entirely unexpected, though.

A big thank you to all your opinions and comments.  I find them to be very helpful, which is really what I'm after.

Feel free to keep them coming, if you do not find them a waste of time.

I especially like the copper bar idea.  Do you connect them to your amp and speakers with Super Glue, or will Elmer's work ok?  I do have some generic Scotch Tape as well.  I heard it has minimal signal loss.  And it's archival as well.  I'm certain that helps, too.

Sorry this went south on your first post here. We usually treat people better (at first). But I can tell by your reply that you get what is going on here.

Hopefully between the BS and the snark, you found some useful information.

Most of this is a carry over from other threads. Gone on WAY too long.

• Like 2

I like and use the Sewell Direct Silverback plugs. My son uses the Deadbolts. Both are reasonably priced and good quality.

https://sewelldirect.com/collections/banana-plugs

GLS Audio are also very good.

https://www.glsaudio.com/Banana-Plugs-Spades_c_769.html

My system sounds great but I am wondering now if I can squeeze out the last .0001% by switching to spades. :)

The only “must” I’ll offer the OP, is to ensure the “barrel” and set screw combo will accommodate 8awg or better as he is certain to go down the rabbit hole of bigger better speaker cables (avec pixie dust, lunar orbital electron flux etc.). I don’t like plugs with a cap that screws onto the barrel, I’ve had too many large cables that would fit in the barrel but the set screws would not screw in all the way, hence cap would not fit over the barrel. When I’m done playing around I’ll likely go to bananas on amp end and bare wire on speaker end.  I make my own cables (braided Cat6) and tend to end up with 8 awg or bigger ( with all the accoutrements, electrons and otherwise).