Banana plug sizes and Klipsch speaker terminals

Dee Jay

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

To be fair, sometimes even with 5-way binding posts it can be a huge pain in the *** to properly secure 12ga bare wire on the back of an amp/avr, multiplied by 5+ channels of audio.

That is where banana plugs truly shine. A < 30 second mission with banana plugs and labeled wiring.

20 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

How can you not believe someone who refers to his soldering with this quote?

Just always remember this fellas: " The bigger the glob, the better the job ."    

That's money right there.

You've seen my welding?

18 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Unless you have to move stuff around all the time using bare wire is best.

Agree, if the wire is too thick to fit into your terminals you can always strip it down so it fits.

The last 3/4" of the wire is going to make zero difference.

Soldering the ends is a great idea as well.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, rican1965 said:

beleive or not cant find spades anywhere

You can get spades at O'Reilly Auto Parts or other auto parts stores. Ignition wore connectors can work as well. Hard to say what metal they are made out of, but I've used them for years.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:44 PM, Blackbird said:

I beg to differ but in my opinion, spade terminals are not superior to banana plugs!

I have known to trip over the my speaker wires with such force that the spade terminals either ripped right off the wires or damaged the terminal block on my speakers.

With banana plugs, my speaker wires just pop right off the speakers and I just plug them right back.  I have always use banana plugs forever and no wires have ever been damage from their usage.

Any wires attach semi-permanent to speakers are prone to damage when being tripped over.

It sounds like you need to re-route those speaker cables to eliminate that tripping hazard.  Tripping over them or stepping on them should not have happened once, and it really shouldn't happen repeatedly.

On 6/6/2021 at 9:56 AM, rican1965 said:

beleive or not cant find spades anywhere

BFA (British Federation of Audio) bananas work as well as spade connectors in terms of contact surface area, and they never come loose.  I use ones from AudioQuest.  They accept pretty large speaker cables, and are available from several audio supply sources.