LaScala LSI, finally a pair of my own

TFR1

After 18 months of overly cautious searching, I have a pair LSIs' of my own. 

First set I listened to belonged to @jimjimbo. Like everything I have heard at Jim's, they were impressive. I let 3 or 4 pairs get away for a variety of reasons, but decided that the next I found would come home with me.

As luck would have it, the were only about an hours drive. The trim is intact, but will need refinished. The cabinets are very nice and hopefully, with a lot of cleaning and polishing, I can make them beautiful. (SN 1294, 1295)

Now, a couple of questions.....Is there a record of serial numbers and production dates?......Are the square magnet K77 tweeters correct?.......are the K55 push connect drivers correct? .....My horn section has "Klipsch" silkscreened  in white between the tweeter and squawker but it was covered with a Klipsch badge. Is this correct?

I have tested all the components and plan to power them up tonight. AA crossovers look original. I am sure capacitors need upgraded. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Jerry

LSI.jpg

LSI Klipsch badge.jpg

LSI serial Number.jpg

AA crossover.jpg

K43.jpg

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, TFR1 said:

Is there a record of serial numbers and production dates?.

First of all, congrats Jerry, I know how long you've been looking after seeing and hearing mine....

As to your question above, lots of other folks would love to see the answer to that as well....

I would highly doubt that covering the original logo with a tacked on badge is correct.

Pretty certain that the K77 square is correct, but not so sure as to the K55 push.  I had thought that K55M were the standard for these.

As far as updating the crossovers, well, as you know, that's a matter of some debate around here.

If you need anything at all Jerry, feel free to PM me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those look awesome.....Make sure you take out that screw in the round inductor and put in new caps. If going to be home use I would just make them into type A crossovers but thats up to you.  I would also change the woofer inductor to this https://www.parts-express.com/erse-super-q-25mh-16-awg-500w-inductor-crossover-coil--266-908 

• Thanks 1

If the screw is magnetic it'll be able to interact with the magnetic field generated by the coil.  Normally with an "air core" coil you'd not want that interaction because it'll alter the design value/function of the coil.  I'd be inclined to think that it was engineered to be that way and not merely some assembly worker's idea of expediency.  Removing the screw and replacing it with something non-magnetic may alter the sound of the speaker to some noticeable extent, and it then may even be considered an improvement by the tinkerer.  It may do nothing noteworthy.  I must suppose the final production "voicing" of the speaker was developed with that coil with that screw through it.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, glens said:

If the screw is magnetic it'll be able to interact with the magnetic field generated by the coil.  Normally with an "air core" coil you'd not want that interaction because it'll alter the design value/function of the coil.  I'd be inclined to think that it was engineered to be that way and not merely some assembly worker's idea of expediency.  Removing the screw and replacing it with something non-magnetic may alter the sound of the speaker to some noticeable extent, and it then may even be considered an improvement by the tinkerer.  It may do nothing noteworthy.  I must suppose the final production "voicing" of the speaker was developed with that coil with that screw through it.

I disagree with the above

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I must suppose the final production "voicing" of the speaker was developed with that coil with that screw through it.

When I said I disagreed, I disagree that the coil was meant to have a magnetic screw, and that the "voicing"of the speaker was engineered to include that steel screw.  98% of all the other AA crossovers I've seen and worked on had non-inductive screws in that coil.  

• Like 1

Personally, I prefer the configuration and sound of the AA crossover, over the A.  If you are going to replace the tweeters with Crites CT120s, then you can simply snip the zener diode out of the circuit, as you will not need the zener protection for the tweeter.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2019 at 10:53 AM, jimjimbo said:

When I said I disagreed, I disagree that the coil was meant to have a magnetic screw, and that the "voicing"of the speaker was engineered to include that steel screw.  98% of all the other AA crossovers I've seen and worked on had non-inductive screws in that coil.  

It should be a non ferrous screw.  Brass or non magnetic stainless.

• Like 1