LaScala LSI, finally a pair of my own

TFR1

On 8/18/2019 at 4:45 PM, TFR1 said:

As luck would have it, the were only about an hours drive. The trim is intact, but will need refinished. The cabinets are very nice and hopefully, with a lot of cleaning and polishing, I can make them beautiful. (SN 1294, 1295)

So now that you've had some time to work on them, I am interested to see how beautiful they now are!!  Knowing you as I do, I'm sure they are gorgeous.

Looks like you scored a pretty nice pair of Industrials!  Congrats!

I’ve read this in other threads about LSIs, but didn’t see it here, so I thought I’d mention it.  The aluminum trim on the speakers is very lightly anodized, meaning the treatment doesn’t go very deep, so it’s not hard to scrape or buff right off.  I’d suggest treating the strips as if they’re just naked aluminum, if you want to preserve the finish on them.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, jimjimbo said:

I disagree with the above

I agree with your disagreement. The screw thing doesn't make a "dime's worth of difference," to quote PWK, yes, it's measureable with precision instruments, but when you consider that it's completely buried in a field of 10% tolerance on the part of the drivers and capacitors, that fractional percent difference from a stinkin' screw doesn't mean diddly squat, sonically speaking, which is further buried by 10 times more variation in the Listening Room.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Jery and Mooky,

Mooky, I would love to see complete pictures of your LSIs, are they spits?

Jerry, I bought split LSIs for my daughter. Mine have trim that is in better shape, but yours are fiberglass and mine are not. I would love to buy those to go with my dauighters if you ever decide to sell, so please put this in a file and contact me if you ever do decide to sell as they would be a perfect match.

Thanks...  Roger

• 3 weeks later...

I just refinished my LSI splits.  They were an absolute mess.  I even had to chisel some junk off the cabinets that had melted and dripped on them.  No idea what it was.  I used Duratex on the panels and 0000 steel wool with McGuires automotive cleaner wax on the trim.  There was paint and decades worth of grime on them.  They also had some deep scratches that I elected not to address at this time.

2019-12-21 08.22.15.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/5/2019 at 6:23 PM, twistedcrankcammer said:

Dear Jery and Mooky,

Mooky, I would love to see complete pictures of your LSIs, are they spits?

Jerry, I bought split LSIs for my daughter. Mine have trim that is in better shape, but yours are fiberglass and mine are not. I would love to buy those to go with my dauighters if you ever decide to sell, so please put this in a file and contact me if you ever do decide to sell as they would be a perfect match.

Thanks...  Roger

sorry Roger, did see this until just now. I will send you a few pic. Yes they are splits and have the fiberglass skim coat on the exterior. Very good shape, obviously had some use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I just refinished my LSI splits.  They were an absolute mess.  I even had to chisel some junk off the cabinets that had melted and dripped on them.  No idea what it was.  I used Duratex on the panels and 0000 steel wool with McGuires automotive cleaner wax on the trim.  There was paint and decades worth of grime on them.  They also had some deep scratches that I elected not to address at this time.

2019-12-21 08.22.15.jpg

Looks good Carl.

Crank em up and let's see what they can do! Luv mine!

• Like 3