my Belles are loaded with all Crites components

Stevenarrow

Over the past few months I have been slowly swapping out the stock components in my Belles with Crites'. I first added the  the XO, then the cast woofer, then the A-55G squawker, then CT120 tweeter. Some completely non scientific and random observations below.

The woofer was the most difficult to install for obvious reasons. Also because someone decided to add glue to the mounting hardware. The originals were square magnets.

The woofer was very mechanical sounding at first. It took a couple weeks before sounding like music again. However, the added efficiency of modern driver through the entire balance out of whack. I did not like the sound very much with just this component swapped in.

The squawker was obviously a very easy installation: 4mins total.

These again increased the efficiency of the Belles. They are louder. They are also more analytical; a hair bit of smoothness is gone. Vocals are very crisp. I feel the crossover point between the woofer and squawker is more filled in. There appears to be no dip at all in frequency response (not measured, just listening).

Using the modern compression driver with the modern woofer is a great match for my Belles; I funded the added low end smooths out the more forward midrange on the music I am most interested in.

The tweeter on the Belles is pretty easy to get at, as the entire upper half can slide out once you back off 4x screws. Cant imaging the LaScalas are that easy to access.

The new tweeter is amazing. It is much better than the CT125. It really keeps up with the entire new component compliment. Everything this sharper and more defined. The stereo image is crazy tall and wider than with the stock (K-77 alnico) tweeter. 

Overall, I am very happy with the upgrades. These Belles are kinda beat up on the outside, but with 100% new components they sound modern and fresh. They are insanely snappy and dynamic. They are loud; the only drawback being that I may have to consider getting a lower powered amp as a result... I think the most important piece to remember is, in my option, none of these can happen on their own. I feel they must be done all or nothing. Putting back any of the older components, resulted in a serious lack of keeping up with the newer drivers. 

I use the same A-55 mids and CT120 tweeters but went with a new pair of K-33 woofers so I have no comparison to the difference in the Crites woofer.  Which crossovers was it you went with, again?  I guess I forgot that part.  I built a set of Type AA's using the Audyn Plus and do enjoy the way they sound for the most part.  I go back and forth with other speakers as the missing bass gets to me and I haven't had  time to mess with building a subwoofer yet.  But for certain music, and recordings, they do sound great. 

I had initially run them on the 35 wpc VTA ST-70 amp after we moved in but changed over to a 120 wpc Carver M-200t S/S amp as I didn't need a room heater right now.  lol  Honestly, the Carver sounds darn good and obviously hardly uses any power at all.  I had even hooked them up to a 460 wpc highly modified and upgraded Carver M-1.0t amp and they sounded even better...definitely coasting along.  

I am using Crites AA crossover, stock.

I am very impressed with the Belles and the new components. They are very modern sounding but with more punch and dynamics and anything else Ive heard. Low bass will come later. i am thinking a pair of 12" servo subs. However, being in an older apartment building, the subs may wait...

Currently using a current model Luxman 507uXII 110wpc into 8ohms. I'd love to demo their 30 wpb Class A amp...

5 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

If you get a chance, and feel like experimenting a bit, try the Eminence Kappa 15C woofer from Parts Express.  Major upgrade in fast, clear bass and tonality.  I use them in all of my La Scalas and previously in a pair of Belles.

I tried them a couple years back. Good sound you are right. But require a little modification to ensure they don’t top out on the motor board. And they can’t handle the same level. 

The idea of this project was to use ‘off the shelf’ Klipsch upgrade parts. 

My conclusion is... go for it. 

I write the above not to be dismissive or flippant to other experiences. But, I do read a lot of gentlemen stating the measurable variations on replacement components. 

Replacing all the replaceables has brought a great music listening experience into my living room.  

• Like 1