Primaluna or Line Magnetic ?

Kidd

What would you choose , which one ?   To power Forte 3  or  Heresy 3

Maybe throw in a Carver 275  into the  equation .

The PL is about $2400 I believe 

The LM 518IA is about $4K 

I have narrowed it down to these 3 amps , unless someone  adds  one to the list , reading the forums makes me like these the best

Thanks

I have a bit of a hybrid setup that I use for both home theater and 2 channel listening that consists of a Marantz SR7012, a Primaluna Prologue Premium power amp

(w/KT88's), Forte III's, R120SW sub, and an Academy center channel ... I setup an Intel NUC running Audirvana as my network streamer and I love the sound I get out of this system.

Edited by Dustyzz

thanks y'all  , I am thinking if  I only hear one tube amp  then I'll have nothing to compare , making no difference with what I end up with .

I have read Huff's review  , fun to read  and makes me lean toward the LM 219 and the 518 , if there was one for sale locally  i'd buy it , pre owned . but there's not .

20 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Is future maintenance an issue ?  PL USA made, Line Mag China Based. Do they have tech support in the US ?

=== Prima is made in China -. Possibly designed/engineered in Germany or the Netherlands ? But China for sure - 

• Like 1

Prima Luna is designed/engineered in the Netherlands and built in China.  Right now I'm running their integrated w/my LS and love what I hear.  Love my PL and won't do anything but go up w/the Amp and Pre selection they have.  It's dead quiet and sounds great to me but then again everyone hears things differently.  Purchased it w/o actually hearing anything and couldn't be happier.  It's everything they say it is.  Just my thoughts.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kidd said:

thanks y'all  , I am thinking if  I only hear one tube amp  then I'll have nothing to compare , making no difference with what I end up with .

I have read Huff's review  , fun to read  and makes me lean toward the LM 219 and the 518 , if there was one for sale locally  i'd buy it , pre owned . but there's not .

The line magnetic amp is a single end triode amp and the Primaluna is a push pull amp,so they will sound different.

The Line Magnetic amp will have a magical midrange with a more open airy sound,The Primaluna will be dynamic and dead quiet,I have used a Line Magnetic LM -219ia with my Klipschorns and that amp was one of the best sounding amps I have even had in my system.Mine had upgraded Psvane western electric copy 300b’s and 845’s and upgraded Telefunken 12ax7’s.The only reason I sold it was the weight and the heat of the tubes,plus the fear of one day having to replace the tubes.I now listen to 3 different amp,preamp setups and each one has its strong points

Dennis Had sep tube amp with matching lp3a preamp

great combo that is great with my Klipschorns sweet sounding pair,very detailed with alive like  isound that  is easy to listen to..I just wished the preamp had a remote control.

line Magnetic lm-126ia Limited Edition amp based of western electric design very close to the LM-219 and I have it for sale due to weight and size.

I am using a Primaluna Prologue Premium amp and preamp and I am using it now,a little closed in compared to the Inspire pieces or the line magnetic amp,but dead quiet and very dynamic on my Klipschorns .If I was going to buy a amp now Primaluna has just released new models and you should be able to get a deal on the older models.I don’t think you can go wrong on either of the amps you have on your list.

• Like 1

The LM 219ia   is being renamed  and is now in two pieces  because of weight  , Bill at  Arizona Hifi tells me  , the price is $500 more,   it's at $8K  now  .

I'd buy  a used one in a heart beat  , well , if it were priced right , like $5K .

If the link works , they also have  a LM219 for $5400 new ,   why so cheap , do not know 

https://www.google.com/search?q=line+magnetic+219ia+for+sale&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiM3uHdhZPkAhXEl54KHTxbDfcQ1TUIugE&biw=1408&bih=667#spd=2638507930553130493

bkwa1959 , I live   1.5 hours away  , I am gonna drive down , maybe take my Heresy with me  , Bill says we can hook 'em to anything they have .

They even let you take home stuff for a week or so .

At any rate  ,  I hope to be patient enough , or ,might just buy a PL

On 8/20/2019 at 9:19 PM, Kidd said:

bkwa1959 , I live   1.5 hours away  , I am gonna drive down , maybe take my Heresy with me  , Bill says we can hook 'em to anything they have .

They even let you take home stuff for a week or so .

At any rate  ,  I hope to be patient enough , or ,might just buy a PL

I also live in Arizona, (Green Valley).  I went to Upscale Audio and auditioned PL with the Forte III's like I own.  I was sold after an hour.  I've had my Dialogue Premium HP for about two months and couldn't be happier.  If you're up for a trip this far south of Sedona, you would be welcome to come and hear this combination.  I'm very happy with the combo.

Good luck.  Lots of good options out there.

Del

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll toss out another manufacturer to consider, I've put this in another thread but here is again. Triode Labs - Finale Audio out of Toronto all made in North America with some really great gear IMO better then the two the OP's thread, I've listened to both a SET LIne integrated and a prima amp and ended up with the Finale audio F 3008 FX. It just had better parts and sounded wonderful ,much better extension in the extremes then either of the other two and that's from a 300b based amp compared to a Push pull and a SET 811 amp. 

Glen 

• 3 weeks later...