The Cola Wars

BigStewMan

Which do you prefer?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Pepsi (Regular or Diet)
    • Coke (Regular or Diet)

When I quit the partying and didn't need coke for the Bacardi anymore my tastebuds changed.

Pepsi - too sweet, Coke - to sweet, Loved 7-up before it changed to 8-up & too sweet.

4 bags of Luzianne, a gallon of water, half cup of sugar!

Can not find the big bald guy with the low voice doing the first "not too sweet" commercial, they've hidden it!!

• Like 1

We have had the luxury of sugar.  The Mexican made soda doesn't use  [so much] HFCS. And not so sweet. American Coke and Pepsi are too syrupy.

fwiw

Mexican pastries aren't near as sweet as American made, either.

That being said... I like Squirt.  And I prefer CanadaDry ginger ale over Schwepp's. Schwepp's is too sweet for my taste.

I used to drink 8-10 cans of regular Coke every day, then I switched to  Caffeine Free Diet Coke, then one day I thought this stuff can't be good for me (and my dentist said the same thing) so I quit cold turkey. That was 16 years ago. I'll take a small sip now and it taste absolutely horrendous. I'll drink a can of Sprite, 7Up, or Dr Pepper once a week.

• Like 1

Like that guy @wuzzzer wasn't he the dude 007 defiled his virgin voodoo priestess in "Live And Let Die" after leaving Mardi Gras?

It might be him! But not 7-up.

That is a primo clip above!! Saw the Ron Hextall version and lots of others! 

Thinking Michael Clarke Duncan but it was before his time.

Big bald photogenic black fella with a friendly face that had a LOW blues voice. Raspy, gravelly "Not Too Sweet X 3 then Canada Dry Ginger Ale" 

I used the "Proper" terminology for the race of folks born darker on the outside. Not one spec of anything wrong with that!

It got bleeped out???

forum software here stinks!

Edited by JohnJ
forum software here stinks!
  • Like 1

Just now, Emile said:

Used to be a 12-pack per day Coke guy.  But ... per my Doctor (and the Nat'l Institute of Health), there is a definite link between cola drinks and kidney stones :( 

Yessiree, it is the caffeine in that there extraordinary cola bean.

Passing some of those bas^#rds again the past month.... PTL that they are coming out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

it is the caffeine in that there extraordinary cola bean

Don't think it's the cola bean :)  Here is an excerpt form a St Joe's Hospital flyer on kidney stones ( https://www.stjoes.ca/patients-visitors/patient-education/k-o/PD 3084 Kidney Stones and Diet.pdf )

Avoid pop with phosphoric acid such as Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper and Root Beer. Drink pop with citric acid such as Gingerale, 7-Up, Mountain Dew, Creme Soda, Orange Crush, Grape Crush, and Tonic water. Avoid Pepsi as it contains both phosphoric and citric acid. Limit the amount of pop you drink. Pop is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup which is high in fructose. Fructose can increase the risk of forming kidney stones.

Unquote

12 minutes ago, Emile said:

Used to be a 12-pack per day Coke guy.

Damn, you guys used, to drink an insane amount of coke.  One can a day for me was when I decided enough was enough. 2 pounds of sugar a day keeps the doctor at close bay? I like coke myself, but have since switched to bubly flavored sparkling water.  I will occasionally have a coke with an adult beverage(I try not to).  Glad you both were able to curb the appetite (it can be tough, I know IT'S ADDICTIVE) 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Emile said:

Don't think it's the cola bean :)  Here is an excerpt form a St Joe's flyer on kidney stones ( https://www.stjoes.ca/patients-visitors/patient-education/k-o/PD 3084 Kidney Stones and Diet.pdf )

Avoid pop with phosphoric acid such as Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper and Root Beer. Drink pop with citric acid such as Gingerale, 7-Up, Mountain Dew, Creme Soda, Orange Crush, Grape Crush, and Tonic water. Avoid Pepsi as it contains both phosphoric and citric acid. Limit the amount of pop you drink. Pop is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup which is high in fructose. Fructose can increase the risk of forming kidney stones.

Unquote

I see that info is from at least a decade later than my onset of KStones.

I was told I lived in the kidney stone belt that is only one place on earth that had a diet high in calcium, caffeine and legumes. Also stay away from red meat🤣.

& that was from a doc in Central FL west of Orlando!

Riight!!!! Like that is going to happen, me not eat beef or chocolate, drink milk, coffee or eat cheese and I like broccoli. Turnip greens are the only ones I like.... and only with ham, cornbread and beans!

I choose to force water three times a day at least!!

**sorry for the OT

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, use ginger ale or 7-up sparingly for mixing drinks. Hansen Natural products used only cane sugar. Monster energy a spin-off used sugar. Maybe now some are using beet sugar for their products. Anything is better than using HFCS...imo...Think it is Canada Dry recent ale with lemonade.

Anyway, drinking lemonade on a daily basis and I like it. Citric acid.

• Like 2

once upon a time, i was a huge diet coke drinker. Before that it was Dr. Pepper.  About 25 years ago, i drastically cut sugar intake. Then about six years ago, i gave the heave ho to caffeine.  These days it’s Diet 7-Up or the occasional Ginger Ale (which i love). 

Coke has had such a stranglehold on the market that it has survived some serious gaffes. I think it’s like sports fans ... you love one team unconditionally and hate the other. 

Taste tests are interesting; but, personally i don’t care about your tastes ... i care about mine. The taste of the public is highly revolting ... i mean Budweiser, Taco Bell, Miley Cyrus ... i’m often glad that i’m a bit different. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Times I drink  a Coke is with bourbon. Usually get just one and the rest 7-Up... there is or was a Coke with pure cane sugar recently. Guess it is still around.

HFCS is ubiquitous, in more than just "soft drinks"....

Refined cane sugar is bad enough.

Use raw sugar here for my coffee.

Easy to cook with and at least a better glycemic Index number. Of course, refined sugar in products once again ubiquitous.

BTW, only buy cans here for a mixer only as, between water and coffee and the 🍺... mostly satisfied...drink what you like however...was drinking back to back Dews when a teenager.

And drinking lemonade and tomato juice almost daily now.

Baching it...

• Like 2

I mostly gave up on soda about 10 years ago. I say mostly as I will have a soda about 1 - 2 times a month, if the mood strikes me. 

I now just drink coffee, tons of water and a nice IPA or 5, every now and then. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

... i’m often glad that i’m a bit different.

Have no fear dude, you have it well covered. :D

Don't need soft drinks, water mostly and sometimes mixed with those little packs you add to water with different flavors. I don't really skip other drinks because of health reasons, that would be the least of my problems, just don't like them enough. 

• Like 2