High WAF for 2.1 channel

MC39693

At half time of the incredibly boring Niners/Broncos tilt last night, I turned off the TV and fired up the 2.1 channel (unfortunately, my Heresy are in another province so Martin Logan to the rescue).

I was listening to a variety of music via music server ---> DAC -----> 2 channel amp ---> ML Clarity and Velodyne sub (the music server has a sub out).

Wife comes home and in the door where the gear is setup.  She sets some stuff down, and I turn on Randy Travis, Corb Lund, Dwight Yokum (for starters) and she comes into the room to listen.

Two hours later she says ... it's better than live.

Wife is trained in choir and classical signing and although she won't say so, has an amazing voice and way more understanding of pitch and music than I do!

Best complement for the gear I could achieve.  Long way to go in final setup, but if the WAF is high, I am very pleased.  I may have succeeded in justifying the hours and $$ spent on a separate 2.1 channel setup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

=== you must have a hell of an acoustically proper room for a rig to actually sound “live”. The room would have equal if not more value than speakers for a “like live” presentation. I’ve had a fairly accomplished piano player tell me my Jubes reproduced piano better than any home speaker he’s heard. OTOH a fellow that attends Many live orchestra performances said my Jubes, my room, were a far cry from the live performances he attends — 

• Moderators

Glad both of you are liking it, the listening part is most important, the only reason we all go through this anyway.

I think the WAF thing is way over rated, I get you want them to like it and be happy but they have to also be flexible, not everything has to look perfect or like whatever is decided to be normal for everyone else. A little flexibility is a good thing no matter what were talking about.

• Like 1

Oh the room and gear are far from "dialed in", I think the wife just enjoyed sitting in a completely controlled environment, quiet and cool and calm and listening to her favourite tracks one after the other jumping across genres.  No people making noise (although the cat was calling us to come and play with her), or for rowdier venues people stepping by carrying Margaritas and spilling frozen concoctions on us. I've been to St. Martin's in the Field, the Vienna Opera House, the Boston Symphony etc. and no our room is not "dialed in".  Just simple enjoyment of the music.  Happy she spent the 2 hours with me (and the crazy cat came and listened too).

I am on Mrs #3 and among her many attributes musical training and/or appreciation is ‘nil’. She immediately enjoyed my audio gear but seemed to accept the daily 8 hours of up-time ‘in stride’ more than relishing the performance. After our 1st Christmas together she pops up with the comment that this was the only time she could remember not getting weary of Christmas music, or any music for that matter. Her naive off hand comment was the objective testimony to the absence of listening fatigue. Now, 4 years later, she really can not tolerate other people’s music gear, it grates her nerves in very short order resulting in headaches. Stereo gear is not her forte but she knows better from bad now 👌.

5 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I am on Mrs #3 and among her many attributes musical training and/or appreciation is ‘nil’. She immediately enjoyed my audio gear but seemed to accept the daily 8 hours of up-time ‘in stride’ more than relishing the performance. After our 1st Christmas together she pops up with the comment that this was the only time she could remember not getting weary of Christmas music, or any music for that matter. Her naive off hand comment was the objective testimony to the absence of listening fatigue. Now, 4 years later, she really can not tolerate other people’s music gear, it grates her nerves in very short order resulting in headaches. Stereo gear is not her forte but she knows better from bad now 👌.

=== “stereo gear is not her “forte”. I see what you did there — 🥴

I love the name of Corb Lund’s band:  The Hurtin’ Albertans.  Alberta is kind of the Texas of Canada, so that name works on at least two levels.  Just hearing the name puts a smile on my face.  “(He’s) Hard on Equipment” is one of my favourite Corb Lund songs.  We all know a co-worker who damages more than he fixes, so that one’s both amusing and easy to relate to.

And congrats on achieving high WAF with your system!  It’s not done all that often.

• Like 1

I'll have to check out Corb Lund. I've been revisiting a lot of Ian Tyson's music. He's still performing at 85! He's written a lot of great material over the years. I guess I'm showing my age...