Kp-201 restoration, the little green monsters

DTO

$228 bought on eBay, round trip to Indiana to pick up, duratex paint awaiting delivery. They appear to have been painted white first then green on top. Drivers are perfection as is the motor board, The grills even have the metal protective screen.  Question, should I chemically revoke the existing paint before sanding and duratexing or just sand it down and let the duratex cover it? TIA, any tips and suggestions are appreciated. This is a little different than I’m used to.

David

99C6434A-426F-47AF-9CBE-FAADC5212C01.jpeg

843F0705-0C97-455B-ADC2-92B6E461AAE5.jpeg

6318BA62-36E7-498B-92BA-05EE9A6ACA19.jpeg

BB0AB419-6DD1-48D1-A400-BC0FE98E4D63.jpeg

• Like 2

If using their sponge roller (recommended) you can add water to the duratex to reduce the texture. The thinner you make it the smoother it will go on. Test it out first, doesn't take much water to alter. You can increase the texture on subsequent applications by dialing back on the water added.Don't panic if the first coat isn't pretty. 

22 minutes ago, DTO said:

I’ll panic for sure! I’m a first time duratex user

Don't worry :D  Had never used it myself, but applied it to boxes I made for my K-510 horns.  2 coats ... came out flawless :)  ... 10 times easier than "painting"

• Like 1

The main reason to consider much prep in that case would be to ensure the green paint is stuck on good enough to "stick on" the Duratex tight enough.

I'd at least pull the input terminal box, clean the green off of it,  and reinstall it after the Duratex is cured.  Even if it's a wash time-wise to remove such things to paint or even semi-carefully paint around them, well, I can't imagine being in so much of a hurry to just "paint around" like was done.  Maybe too much OCD on my part...

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

I know Jason is a perfectionist, but I'm not so sure I'd worry so much about prep if you are doing Duratex.  That stuff is thick, durable and terrific.  have fun, I'm sure they will turn out great.

Thank's Jim, not always a good trait in a time crunch but if the OP chooses the textured roller it does hide ugliness pretty well.

• 4 weeks later...