Need a recommendation for an amp.

16 hours ago, johknow4@gmail.com said:

I recently purchased a vintage k-horn. I am currently using a low-end Nobsound mono amp to power the speaker. Actually it sounds surprisingly good. However, I would like to upgrade. Can anyone recommend an amp for my k-horn? One that won't break the bank.

Thanks,

Johnie

What don’t you like about your current sound don’t you like? I’d start with a measurement mic and learning REW so you know what is your current response. Adding a parametric eq (or even better a DSP) will allow you to tailor your sound to your own tastes without jumping on the endless amp upgrade path. Khorns take very little power, so I doubt you are driving that little amp to clipping distortion. Plenty of people here will tell you an expensive tube amp is the way to go with khorns. I say save your money until you understand what you have and exactly what you’re wanting to sound different.

16 hours ago, johknow4@gmail.com said:

Can anyone recommend an amp for my k-horn? One that won't break the bank

Suggest you look at some vintage amps ... haha; many of those will not break the bank :D 

Am using a Yamaha CR-620 (35wpc) on my rear Cornwall's ... very nice sound. You can find these for about $100 (or go for the better CR-820/1020).

Have also used a Marantz 1060 on various Klipsch speakers ... excellent sound, but prob around $400.  OK; how about a Marantz 2252B ... prob in the $700 range.

OK; one more. Got a Kenwood Basic M2 amp (220wpc) with a C2 preamp. Using it on CF-3's and it blows everything away - except for my Pro amps/speakers. Think I paid $400 for them.

Good luck with the search :D 

• 6 months later...

Look for a Heathkit EA-3.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Heathkit-EA-3-tube-amplifier-el84-push-pull/264242499515?hash=item3d86148fbb:g:1voAAOSwPsRcjZ0f

14 watts, full controls.  The right look. 

I had a pair I was going to turn into one nice one, for my MIL, but circumstances overtook the build. 

HEATH_EA-3 - Copy.pdf

On 8/20/2019 at 11:34 PM, johknow4@gmail.com said:

I recently purchased a vintage k-horn. I am currently using a low-end Nobsound mono amp to power the speaker. Actually it sounds surprisingly good. However, I would like to upgrade. Can anyone recommend an amp for my k-horn? One that won't break the bank.

Thanks,

Johnie

Take a look at this  https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/pa-1  a lot of good things written about these lil monoblock's. At 130wrms @8ohms they a nice match for a K-horn.

I've been thinking on getting a pair for my LSII's as my XPA-2 @300wrms in 8ohms/chnl is just way to much power for my LSII's.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, johknow4@gmail.com said:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I would also like something with tonal control.

Johnie

I don't know if you are leaning toward tubes or not but this below looks like it would fit the bill in the solid state department.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marpm5005/marantz-pm5005-2-ch-x-55-watts-integrated-amplifier/1.html

A4Less is located in Apopka.

Bill