College Football 2019

jimjimbo

Yes, boys and girls, it's that time again!  First game of the season is this weekend, Florida at Miami.  Actually might be a pretty good game.

Expectations are running high for The Maize and Blue as several of the big games are in the Big House this season.  I'll be attending the Army vs. Michigan game the second weekend, and was offered tickets to the Notre Dame game, but they were stupid expensive.  I think I'll enjoy that one from the comfort of my living room.....

• Like 3

Just signed up for YouTube tv because the excellent fubo did not cover NCAA around here. ACC network will be live tomorrow and Tigers vs GA next week. Made kielbasa, grn bell peppers and onions for lunch and have the championship game vs Bama on again now. Love this time of the year!!

WVU has a new coach this year.  Last year's stud QB is now NFL and all the top safeties transferred out.  The Big 12 coaches voted them to finish 8th in the conference this year out of ten teams.

It is not going to be a fun football season for my Mountaineers.

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

If Ohio St is ranked ahead of Michigan, why is Michigan picked to win the B1G East?

My guess is because Ohio has a new coach, transfer QB, and Michigan has most of their big games at home.  Plus as we all know, preseason rankings mean next to nothing, except for Clemson and Alabama.....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

My guess is because Ohio has a new coach, transfer QB, and Michigan has most of their big games at home.  Plus as we all know, preseason rankings mean next to nothing, except for Clemson and Alabama.....

Since Michigan plays OSU at home, I will pick Michigan to win the B1G.

• Haha 1

Gonna be a "New Day" in Cbus this year with Ryan Day replacing Urban Meyer.  Even picked up a couple U of M Coaches who "jumped ship" in the off season.   They are workin well in the scheme and respected by all.  U of M picked up a "cast-off" from OSU so we'll have to sit back and see how that pans out for them.  Good man but just didn't fit Day's program so we'll see.  He definitely didn't fit in Coach Day's plans.  Justin Fields named as the starting QB, receivers are on point as well as the O and D Lines.  The supposed "weak spot" is in the LB's but I think that will repair itself as the season progresses.  It's a game at a time here and I really can't believe Blue is shooting off their mouths already.  The "revenge" tour was an epic fail last year.  It's game by game but there are MANY good teams on the OSU schedule this year and you can't count on a win every week yet you "expect" it.  "On ANY given day" is always there haunting you.  Pre-season picks are out the window it's the END of season stats that mean the most.  Yup, haters gonna hate and I love it!  We're bringin it that I do know!  Peace, Love, Dove!  GO BUCKS!       

Some statistical food for thought as a new college football season approaches: Overall records the past 10 seasons … Remember that seven of those 19 Ohio State losses happened in one season (2011, between Jim Tressel's departure and Urban Meyer's arrival) when interim coach Luke Fickell stepped in at the last minute ….

1 Alabama 127-13
2 Ohio State 115-19
3 Boise St 109-24
4 Clemson 112-27
5 Oklahoma 105-28
6 Stanford 102-32
7 Wisconsin 102-33
8 LSU 97-32
9 Oregon 99-33
10 Florida St 97-36

• Like 1

A local high school has done really well in football lately. It's a small school of about 1000 students, it's about 20 miles outside of Indianapolis. The coach has been there 5 years, and has a record of 74-4, they have a running back that had 68 touchdowns last year, and is 400 yards away from breaking the Indiana his school rushing record. They won the state title 3 or 4 times. They were an average football school before the coach showed up. It's amazing how much difference a good coach can make.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Was it that, or did the talent level of the student body change? I'm betting the latter.

I tend to think the new coach made more of a difference. They went from a 9-7 team to a 16-0 team overnight. Unless they hit some kind of overnight talent explosion.

20 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

@Ceptorman which one?  I know of one near Indy but can't remember the name.  Was told he had the kids believing in themselves and they were tough.  Used to be one on the North side of Indy that started w/a C but can't even remember who that was.  lol

You're probably thinking of Carmel HS, on the far north side. They are one of the powerhouse schools every year. They probably have 5000 students. They seem to excel in quite a few sports. Their girls swimming team has one the state final 33 times in a row.

The small school I referred to earlier was New Palestine High School.

Sorry Jim to clutter your college thread with all this high school talk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1