College Football 2019

jimjimbo

I'd like to see WVU put the bump on Oklahoma but don't think it will happen.  Happy Valley is the place to be today.  Great weather and should be a great game!  We Are!  Longest drive in and out of there!  Ugh!  ichigan's D is improving so we'll see what shakes out.  Last night OSU's D rotated 13 players in to give them ALL playing time.  O also rotated well.  It's nice to be able to do that so the kids all get some time.  Most do that though.  The thing I find funny is that IF OSU beats Wisconsin next week they MAY have to beat them a second time in the B1G Championship game.  Lotsa things to shake out though before that could happen.  The South Carolina program has been improving in the past couple years so they could put it on Florida today!  It's football season! 

• Like 1

Penn State!  

We will see if PSU's coaches have learned anything about play calling in the last week.  They've certainly sucked at it to date.  I can't wait to see the OSU Wisconsin game, it's going to answer a lot of questions for both teams.  

• Like 1

I thought Michigan played as well as they’ve played all season, despite the loss.  Next week Michigan plays Notre Dame, which always presents a dilemma for me, as one team has to win.

Naturally, I will root for my alma mater next week against PSU, but if Sparty fails to play much better than it has recently, it won’t be pretty.

• Like 2

Once again, in spite of the pitiful play calling and coaching for PSU, we get one more in the win column and will move up to 6th based on that Wisconsin melt down.  There's no way, without some big changes in the play calling, that they will be able to keep pace scoring with OSU.  Same crap over and over when they play any team that has a reasonable defense.  I must be watching a different game than the annalists and announcers who never make comments on any of this.  

Baylor, Minnesota, App State, Utah, SMU and others keeping things very interesting and LSU and Burrow look fantastic.  SC had a real shot at taking Florida down and my daughter was really disappointed, but she's a grad and a die hard fan, so she'll route for them every game.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Once again, in spite of the pitiful play calling and coaching for PSU, we get one more in the win column and will move up to 6th based on that Wisconsin melt down.  There's no way, without some big changes in the play calling, that they will be able to keep pace scoring with OSU.  Same crap over and over when they play any team that has a reasonable defense.  I must be watching a different game than the annalists and announcers who never make comments on any of this.

It's like watching the same movie every Saturday.

PSU jumps out in front with good play calling  and a big lead. Opposition make adjustments. PSU offense goes flat, Defense relied on to win the game.

Running play up middle for 2 yards. 2nd down incomplete pass. 3rd and long fail. Punt. Repeat

Rahne needs to go.

Michigan should have won last night

PSU should be terrified of Ohio State

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, EmilC said:

29 minutes ago, EmilC said:

PSU should be terrified of Ohio State

Didn't mean to look past Michigan State next week.

PSU hasn't figured out how to beat them. My guess Dantonio simply outcoaches Franklin  every time

• Like 1

Too bad y'all didn't get to see Travis Etienne ripping off the yardage like I saw in the one game I almost get to sit and watch all of each week. Young peach fuzz faced announcer talking about rushed calls by the Tigers.... puhleease! I saw not enough time (or as much as usual), bad throws and perfect balls dropped again! Sunshine might need glasses! Or maybe a steady state of mind.

Could still see we would win before the half but geeze think we'll be 7-0 dropping in the rankings again. Not griping, just observing the differences between the last couple of years and sunshine's sophomore year. D is pretty good, O line needs to tighten up to win it all again!

Wake Forest is sure hitting on all cylinders!

• Like 1

Wolverines favored by 1 1/2 over Notre Dame at home.  I’ll be rooting for B1G and Michigan to keep ND from worming their way into CFP again.  

Harbaugh can be annoying, remember when he was the Stanford coach and he implied that Michigan’s football players could not cut it academically at Stanford?  Annoying aside, he is a decent human being.  Brian Kelly, on the other hand, is a total jerk.  

• Like 1

ANYthing's possible on any given day.  Should be a good game.  Harb's knows football but I certainly can't see what they're doing up there.  I know they're not winning ball games and Harb's has them by the short hair contract wise.  All the pre-season hype?  I'm STILL waiting for the Revenge Tour version 2.0 to begin.  It's crazy nuts watching a storied program go down the tubes.  Actually sad.  They'll have it together Nov 30th I'm sure.  I honestly just don't get it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

ANYthing's possible on any given day.  Should be a good game.  Harb's knows football but I certainly can't see what they're doing up there.  I know they're not winning ball games and Harb's has them by the short hair contract wise.  All the pre-season hype?  I'm STILL waiting for the Revenge Tour version 2.0 to begin.  It's crazy nuts watching a storied program go down the tubes.  Actually sad.  They'll have it together Nov 30th I'm sure.  I honestly just don't get it.

And don't they lose Shea Patterson next year? His experience showed Saturday night compared to Sean Clifford.

Starting a new QB is never fun unless you happen to be tOSU and have Justin Fields.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmilC said:

And don't they lose Shea Patterson next year? His experience showed Saturday night compared to Sean Clifford.

Starting a new QB is never fun unless you happen to be tOSU and have Justin Fields.

Clifford has some talent, what his potential is if he had the right QB coach, I really can't say, because he obviously doesn't when it's the same mistakes over and over and as I stated before, they're not calling plays suited to where he's at now.  It's pitiful.  

21 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

The move to Josh Gattis as OC has been a disaster.  Play calling is awful.

I feel your pain Jim.  regardless of where our record is currently, it doesn't reflect on the coaching staff.  I hope they figure out a way to beat Notre Dame for sure.  At this point, without OSU having an off game and the opposing team playing flawless on both sides of the ball, I don't see them dropping a game.  I really wish Fields would have stuck to his original commitment to PSU.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete H said:

I really wish Fields would have stuck to his original commitment to PSU.

Yet he went to Georgia, hit the transfer portal and fits perfectly in OSU's offense.  I honestly don't think he would have fit @ PSU.  Maybe though.  Corney Green in the 70's w/Archie Griffin, Troy Smith, so many good QB's have come thru OSU but this kid is the real deal.  Hopefully he'll remain injury free and stick around for next year.  NFL has too many QB's already but he's going to get nothing but better if he stays.  Older and wiser.

Was thinking a bit today about the B1G race and wondered if there was EVER a first-year D1 Head Coach like Ryan Day who won a National Championship.  So I shot OSU Historian Jack Park a text msg posing the question.  His reply was:  "Dave, I'm aware of at least one. Bennie Oosterbann became head coach at Michigan in 1948 and led the Wolverines to the 1948 national title with a record of 9-0. Michigan had two outstanding players in quarterback Pete Elliott and halfback Chuck Ortmann. They outscored their opponents 252-44. Michigan defeated Ohio State in 1948, 13-3.  Michigan also won a split national title with Nebraska in 1997. Lloyd Carr was in his 3rd season as Head Coach at Michigan in 1997.  That was the year Woodson got the Heisman when Peyton Manning of Tennessee was expected to be the winner."

This weeks game?  The TV networks would have preferred two teams at 7-0.  I think it will still be just as tough for us, maybe even more so since the Badgers know that two losses put them out of contention for the CFP.  Wisconsin still controls its own destiny since they play at Minnesota the same day we play at Michigan. 

Musings.