College Football 2019

jimjimbo

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Hard to believe that Shea Patterson was actually in some top 10 Heisman lists a few weeks back.  

What was his point of rotating 2 QB's?  Army stuffed em and should have won the game.  They come in w/a battle plan every game and stick to it.  IF those field goals would have been good....  

8 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

4 SEC teams lost to their cupcakes last week

Were any of those teams ranked though??? Yeah, It will probably be Bama vs Clemson for champsionship again this year. Well, unless Jalen Hurts stays pissed, then Oklahoma has a chance. :)

• Like 2

Pre season rankings are 95% BS with the exception of the powerhouse programs ranked in the top 6 or so, the rest are a bunch of people guessing, but it all shakes out after about 6 weeks.  @jimjimbo Michigan hopefully has another quarterback in the system, because you're right about Patterson, I was sure he was going to come out this year and be much better than this.  I'm glad that PSU decided to show up in the second half and though I've already expressed that I think it will be a fair season at best, had we been beaten by Buffalo, they were shooting off the line in the entire first half.  

The LSU/Texas game was a fantastic game to watch and Bama has a couple teams that should give them a run, but still a pretty easy schedule until the end.  What the heck is up with Maryland?  I guess we'll see in 2 weeks and I'm sure they will be ranked in the teens after that blow out.  College football time, the world is right again!

• Like 2

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh, I just puked up a bit in my mouth.  Back to the coffee chaser!  Keep 'em coming though Jim I can take it!  😂

4 hours ago, Pete H said:

What the heck is up with Maryland?

Maryland wasn't too bad last year and showed up in a few games but just couldn't hang.  We'll see I guess.  Patterson?  Hopefully he starts to produce soon.  Popping off his mouth about how they were gonna kill OSU this year was just as dumb as the idiot last year and his "Revenge Tour."   I'm just waiting on the "2019 Revenge Tour version 2.0" on Nov 30th.  Hopefully it's a ball game this year.  Who's gonna win?  The team with the most points.  They're due but...

2 hours ago, rplace said:

I'm wondering the same thing. Can't wait to see them play PSU.

State will play hard.  They always do.

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

It seems that parity among college programs could be real.  Other than Alabama, college football teams appear to be equally good, or bad.

Bear Bryant built the SEC around Bama.  Saban's a great coach and recruits well.  Can't deny him that but every year he runs the score up on anyone he plays at the expense of his players.  Most coaches will pull the first team to give others a chance to play and gel in case they're needed.  Saban does that but not to the extent most coaches do.  It's allll about the program.  State will be tough this year.

Lotsa ball left and it's gonna be fun again.  Or is it?  

Just random musings.  One thing that always holds true though?  "On any given day"

The weekly AP poll was just released. 1. Clemson, 2. Alabama, 3. Georgia, 4. LSU (up from 6), 5. Oklahoma (down from 4), 6. Ohio State (down from 5), 7. Notre Dame (up from  8. Auburn (up from 10), 9 Florida (up from 11), 10 Michigan (down from 7). Other Big Ten teams in the top-25 are 13. Penn State, 14. Wisconsin, 18 Michigan State, 19, Iowa, 21. Maryland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few thoughts on that weekly AP poll...  Got a message for fans overreacting to each week’s college football polls: Don’t. With the CFB playoff, the polls are as relevant these days as bell bottoms and tube TVs. So why bother? The playoff committee doesn’t use them like the Bowl Championship Series once did when it was responsible for selecting two teams to play in the title game. It doesn’t matter a lick that three SEC teams are now in the Top-Five, because it’s impossible for more than one of them to finish unbeaten. Thunk on that one!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Got a message for fans overreacting to each week’s college football polls: Don’t

Totally agree and it's just something to look at each week, nothing more, nothing less.  Having teams go undefeated every year in college ball IMO, just means that there are too many fluff games scheduled instead of more conference games and better out of conference match ups.  The only thing I'm sure of is that there won't be 7 big 10 teams in the top 25 in a month, they just haven't played any real games at this point, but that starts to change in the next 4 games.  That list is going to look a lot different as things start to take shape.

• Like 1

I came here looking for some discussion on the ending of the Michigan State/Socal ASU game.  What a stunning shock to Sparty to make the game tie-ing 42 yard FG, then having it taken away by 12 men on the field, then missing wide left on the re-do from 47 yards for a 10-7 loss.

• Like 1

ASU's D nose jumped OVER the center to get the block.  BIG no no!  Automatic 15.  I saw it and wondered how he got into the backfield for the block so quickly.  I thought he was blocked and lifted over the center for the block til I saw the replay. The ref's were so be-fuddled over the stuff going on before they flat MISSED the call.  Chip shot then. Youngest told me they're turning things around @ ASU and after last year's hoop season and now this I'm starting to think she's onto something.  Aside from that Temple bumped Maryland. PSU bumped Pitt narrowly and the Buckeyes rolled.  ichigan's on a bye week while Harbaugh tries to figure out how they beat Army last week.  Monday they'll start working on next weeks game in Madison.  Plenty left for this evening! :)

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I came here looking for some discussion on the ending of the Michigan State/Socal game.  What a stunning shock to Sparty to make the game tie-ing 42 yard FG, then having it taken away by 12 men on the field, then missing wide left on the re-do from 47 yards for a 10-7 loss.

What a shame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I came here looking for some discussion on the ending of the Michigan State/Socal ASU game.  What a stunning shock to Sparty to make the game tie-ing 42 yard FG, then having it taken away by 12 men on the field, then missing wide left on the re-do from 47 yards for a 10-7 loss.

The coaches blew that.  There’s no excuse for having too many men on the field.  The play calling was unimaginative.  Apparently, shuffling the same assistant coaches to different assignments in a game of musical chairs is not working.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The coaches blew that.  There’s no excuse for having too many men on the field.

Who tried that last year and it worked?  Penn State maybe?  Can't remember but IF it's a called play then what?  Bottom line ASU caught it and asked for the replay.  ASU's pressbox guys caught it.  Someone up there is ALWAYS counting the players on EVERY play.  I don't think it's in the playbook though Mark wouldn't do that but.  Dantonio frustrated?  You betcha but they definitely got "reffed up" w/the "blocked" field goal.  Even if they made the field goal?  New ball game but???  Notice the coaches exchange afterwards on the field?  Read Mark's lips...  He said "Thanks then told him to "take your team and get outta here" and walked away from him.  NOT a good day.  lol

8 hours ago, rplace said:

Fun afternoon in Annapolis MD yesterday. Navy bulldozing ENC

I hope a good Navy team beats a good Army team this year.  If not, the First Class (seniors) wIll go through their entire USNA career without a victory in that classic rivalry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1