Cornscala with Fatial Horns

Something new, something blue.

Dave cut me 4 3/4" baffles. 2 of them were less than perfect so we doubled them up. 

The grills with be held with neo magnets I got from parts express.  

The back panels have 12 1/4"-20 for the edges. and 4 1/4"-20 for the center braces. 

This is the 1st time Ive used the Faital LTH142 and Faital STH100.

Drivers will be Eminence Kappa 15C, Faital HF140, and the 1" HF driver is up in the air. 

Crossover is a CSW450 

Im posting my project, because I miss the days more on this forum built and modified... 

IMG_2642.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see you're talking about Faital gear.  When I saw the thread listed I saw "Fatial" and thought it was spelled with a "c"  :^)

Everything looks real good so far from here.  What was the nature of the imperfection?  Did some ply delaminate in the flange counters in that top box or is it just (smooth) color changes?  

Got a timeframe in mind to get these done?

There was some splintering. With finishing no one would have ever been the wiser. Dave decided to use as the double instead. I’ve been working on stiffening the baffle.  Sometime when I feel like going next level I’ll dado the side panels to hold the baffle in place and not use cleats.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use a crossover designed by ALK. Its 2nd order on the woofer. Given the 2nd order design, ALK makes use of/accounts for the inductance of a K33/Eminence 15C. I would throw off the crossovers proper operation by subbing in another woofer. If I went ALK Cornscalawal I could without issue. 

I had a similar problem for my 2way Heresy style speakers. The Crossover is a AP12-800 that's specific to the woofer. ALK had measured to for me to make the value changes to make it compatible. 

Id love to try other woofers, but for what its worth the 15C works really well, esp in smaller cabs. 

I've read with interest about the Eminence neo woofers in some of the nice DIY Sound Group designs. Unfortunately Eminence is very expensive in Aus.

About that crossover - its a generic design right? Given how much you are investing here I'd be very interested in the measured response once all built up.

Good luck! :emotion-22:

Wow, that is one slick website you have there!  Impressive.

A few design questions...

When you say ALK designed these specifically for you, May I assume then by this you mean that he has the same speaker enclosure/drivers/horns on hand and he has measured like this:

For a three-way, measure the following (keeping the microphone position, the baffle position, and the levels the same for all measurements -- WITH phase response included):

1. Tweeter response
  2. Tweeter + Midrange response (both together, no crossover)
  3. Midrange response
  4. Midrange + Woofer response (both together)
  5. Woofer response

Would it be possible for you to post the crossover schematic so others might also build this system too please?

Again, super keen to see final response measurements!

Cheers.

You might search ALK he is widely known on this forum. His testing procedures are extensive. Additionally, yes he and I and other have tested the heck out of the drivers horns and enclosure size and porting I’m using. I’ve built a tad and 20+ different cornscala style speakers. It’s something I’m very familiar with. I can’t post the schematic, it’s ALKs property  I’ve only licensed it. 

Horns will be Faital. 

HF is the b&c de250

mids are the Hf140

LF is the Kappa 15c. 

Crossover is 450 with 2nd order and 5600. 

I wont be doing much measurement beyond what’s needed for setup.  I’m pretty familiar with that it can do and I’m not setup for measurement the way others are... have the equipment and software but time and space arnt on my side. 

For me the more more interesting question will be if the de250 is worth the $70 premium per driver. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 2:13 PM, justinsweber said:

Would you Dynamat the Mid horn. 

If you dynamat, I assume you get more coherence but maybe lose some efficiency?

Doesn't look necessary for that horn.  If you did do it, I'd expect an increase in efficiency.  More so with a horn that could more use it.  A conducting wall will transfer more energy if it's not using some of it trying to get out of its way or to sing along.

I have also had a similar setup just in the mock-up stage for quite some time.  Working through driver selection currently.  Have not yet settled on exactly which driver to use for the midrange.  Pretty sure I have the tweeter nailed down.

Bob Crites

IMG_1494.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/24/2019 at 2:13 PM, justinsweber said:

We have progress. 

Question for the crowd... Would you Dynamat the Mid horn. 

If you dynamat, I assume you get more coherence but maybe lose some efficiency?

Crowd here.

Those are very nice as always!

As long as the mids can be adjusted + or - a db or three on the xover (& why wouldn't they be on an ALK design?) think leaving that off would give the buyer greatest control. Unless of course you ears tell you differently. Back panel screws on right?