RF5 Vs RF82 II, Which Would YOU Keep?

MEH Synergy

As the title hints, RF5 Vs RF82 II, Which Would YOU Keep? I have both and I'm going to keep one set for outdoor and sell the other (got them on a trade and don't need both sets).  They will be powered by a QSC PLX1602 amp.   The RF5 has nicer veneer and they are in great shape.   Rf82 iis are in mint condition (not super important for outside).   Just curious as to your thoughts. Did a quick search and didn't come up with a previous thread comparing the two. If there is one, feel free to point me in the right direction, thanks.  I know what many will say, keep the pair that sounds better.... Rf5s have cleaner mids and highs and tighter bass. Rc82ii has more bass output and softer highs.  Mids are similar.... 

2 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Swap all drivers, horn and crossover and have an rf7 in a smaller cabinet or.....? Hadn't thought of that.... 

My RF-5's have the RF-7 / RC-7 horn driver (they're the same) and the top end of the RC-7 crossover and they sound great, little softer more midrangy / bigger sound than the stock drivers well worth the switch IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

My RF-5's have the RF-7 / RC-7 horn driver (they're the same) and the top end of the RC-7 crossover and they sound great, little softer more midrangy / bigger sound than the stock drivers well worth the switch IMO. 

I think I remember seeing your write up on thay somewhere .... Sounds familiar. Good idea, thanks for sharing 

11 minutes ago, oldenough said:

A while back someone suggested a crossover upgrade for the RF5, I can't seem to find it in search. I'm thinking that at nearly 20 years old the speakers might now benefit from a refresh.

Remember your having the 5's from awhile back...See the 82's more often up for sale...As long the 5's sound good cool. Refresh could be the way to go sometime.

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Remember your having the 5's from awhile back...See the 82's more often up for sale...As long the 5's sound good cool. Refresh could be the way to go sometime.

Yeah. I have been toying with selling them but don't know what I can replace them with for similar money that sounds anywhere near as good outside.  I made up my miejz I'm keeping the Rf5s.  

• Thanks 1