Took the plunge...

Ziggurat

....and ordered Jubilee bass bins to sit my 402's on.... Now the four month wait begins....

All the research and looking at plans for DIY and in the end, I just couldn't shake the thought that other designs would have been a compromise. So, Jubilees it is. I have the Xilica working, will try and get ahold of the PEQ settings for the combo I have.

Selling my Prima Luna amp. The big Crowns are just rockin out, and so clear. My brother is taking the Altec 19's. Relieved that I will still be able to visit them.

Anyway, I feel pretty Zen about it all, despite the outlay.. and just maybe I will do a DIY sub if required, to scratch THAT itch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Dave A said:

You will really like that setup. If and when you do build in the future you can get most of your money back on those bass bins if you decide to sell so you can't lose here. How are things going with your Xilica?

Hi Dave. Thanks. The Xilica is working, but I am going to have to make up some decent interconnects - the first ones I made sound awful. The system on the whole gets noisy too, when I run two amplifiers, so I plan to make some infrastructural changes to get some dedicated power lines into my sound room. I'm sure I will work it all out. No troubles using the graphic equaliser, but I don't know where (and why) to start with the PEQ. Much to learn.

I doubt I will ever sell the Jubilee setup.  I have too great of a sense of loss all these years after selling Khorns.  Plus I am more settled nowadays, not moving house every 6 months.  

I have some parts gathered for either a Cornscala (ish) build, or alternatively Altec A7-500's, using the pair of 511b horns I have. So I have some woodwork projects if need be.

What horn subs are people running with the Jubes? I'm picking I won't need one, but you never know.

Dave I think you said once you measured Jubes with decent response at 25hz in some rooms - did I remember that correctly?

1 hour ago, Ziggurat said:

Hi Dave. Thanks. The Xilica is working, but I am going to have to make up some decent interconnects - the first ones I made sound awful. The system on the whole gets noisy too, when I run two amplifiers, so I plan to make some infrastructural changes to get some dedicated power lines into my sound room. I'm sure I will work it all out. No troubles using the graphic equaliser, but I don't know where (and why) to start with the PEQ. Much to learn.

I doubt I will ever sell the Jubilee setup.  I have too great of a sense of loss all these years after selling Khorns.  Plus I am more settled nowadays, not moving house every 6 months.  

I have some parts gathered for either a Cornscala (ish) build, or alternatively Altec A7-500's, using the pair of 511b horns I have. So I have some woodwork projects if need be.

What horn subs are people running with the Jubes? I'm picking I won't need one, but you never know.

Dave I think you said once you measured Jubes with decent response at 25hz in some rooms - did I remember that correctly?

I still don't understand all the PEQ stuff nor how to measure with REW or TrueRTA and incorporate those into the Xilica. I have fiddled with it enough to to get things sounding really good through try this and try that. I am using only 4 PEQ's for the 402 and three for the bass bin and fewer seems better than thinking you need to use them all.

You might be thinking of my comment that there is discernible sound from my S-MWM bins at 25hz. I have never measured any Jubilees and indeed I have only heard a set one time.

Why would you make interconnects when good ones for about any configuration are readily and economically available. Well they are here I don't know what is available over there.

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

Why would you make interconnects when good ones for about any configuration are readily and economically available. Well they are here I don't know what is available over there.

Simply because my Xilica has Euroblock style connectors. People look at me funny when i ask for RCA to Euroblock connectors. 

Hopefully someone will be able to supply me with Roy's PEQ settings.

I'm hoping for decent response at 40hz froma bit of room gain, and that should about satisfy me.

I remember a post I made in an earlier thread you started:

How's about a good old fashioned Jube bass bin?

:)

Very cool you took the plunge.

If you need help with your cables let me know. A regular RCA with the end chopped off(1 signal+1 shield) mated to a EuroBlok will not be optimal.

2 hours ago, babadono said:

If you need help with your cables let me know. A regular RCA with the end chopped off(1 signal+1 shield) mated to a EuroBlok will not be optimal.

I don't need any EuroBlok or Phoenix terminal block wires, but am interested to learn about optimal wires and connections. The only time I connected one is on the back of a in-wall mounted volume control. 

On 8/24/2019 at 5:45 AM, Ziggurat said:

...What horn subs are people running with the Jubes? I'm picking I won't need one, but you never know.

Congrats on the decision to take the plunge!

I'll be using my Bill Fitzmaurice designed DIY THTLP sub with my new (to me) Jubes same as I was using with my modded Khorns.  This living room system does double duty for music and video so the sub does little on most music, but, then I'm watching a movie or Netflix series such as "Another Life" and the sub bass suddenly pressurizes the room that's when I'm glad I built it!

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 3:12 PM, Ziggurat said:

Hopefully someone will be able to supply me with Roy's PEQ settings

I have the original data file at home I’m currently in Beaufort South Carolina so I’ll try and get it when I get back. Somebody will probably beat me to it and That’s ok

Ziggurat,

I've got Jubilee presets (.xdat) files for the K-69-A and K-691 drivers. In fact, several preset files for many different installations and drivers other than the K-691 and K-69-A.  This also includes Roy's original K-691 settings. 

Give me a PM if you need some help.

Chris

• Moderators
On 8/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, Ziggurat said:

....and ordered Jubilee bass bins to sit my 402's on.... Now the four month wait begins....

All the research and looking at plans for DIY and in the end, I just couldn't shake the thought that other designs would have been a compromise. So, Jubilees it is. I have the Xilica working, will try and get ahold of the PEQ settings for the combo I have.

Selling my Prima Luna amp. The big Crowns are just rockin out, and so clear. My brother is taking the Altec 19's. Relieved that I will still be able to visit them.

Anyway, I feel pretty Zen about it all, despite the outlay.. and just maybe I will do a DIY sub if required, to scratch THAT itch.

Great for you!  Where are you located?

Settings below in a PDF that @mikebse2a3 printed out in RACE formatfrom Roy's new settings for the 691 a couple uears ago, and Roy's Word document.  I think someone posted them in the Xilica @Chris A has some variations.

5925eae1c19a8_Jub-K402-K691v15_23_17.thumb.jpg.9c7f8a69ff5bdfe89808135ff65fdbf3.jpg

KPT-KHJ-KF AND K-402-hf with k-691.docx

I don't know what I was thinking the other day. I can send you my xdat file for the 402 and 1132. It might be Monday before I get to it but they are sounding pretty good right now so it should be a nice place to start. My bass bin data will however be useless. I am guessing the onln things of value will be the PEQ's for the 402-1132.