New Guy with Khorns

JSX2

Hello I just picked up my first set of Klipschorns  the serial number is missing on the stickers as well as the finish type I did find these numbers is it possible to determine the finish from these?

These are a little rough they need a bit of veneer repair and alot of clean up but I got them for a decent price . Ive always wanted a set since my high school days.. Thanks for any help in advance.

Jeff

IMG_4990 (2).JPG

IMG_4985.JPG

Edited by JSX2
  • Like 4

Those are nice speakers. Still pretty good looking after 40 years. 

If the underlying surfaces are okay, some edge banding from Joe Woodworker (or whoever), will get them back in great shape. Getting a decent match on the color and tone will take some experimentation. 

Good Luck and I know you will enjoy them,

-Tom

17 hours ago, JSX2 said:

These are a little rough they need a bit of veneer repair and alot of clean up but I got them for a decent price .

They look decent in the pics ... just need some touch-ups.  Mind sharing what you paid for these? @wvu80 keeps track on pricing for us :D 

28 minutes ago, Emile said:

They look decent in the pics ... just need some touch-ups.  Mind sharing what you paid for these? @wvu80 keeps track on pricing for us :D 

No problem I paid 900.00 found them on ebay they were 1300.00 buy it now or make offer I offered 900 they were 15 mins from my house so it was an easy decision.

They look all orig to me and sounded decent although the seller demoed with a pretty beat up Kenwood reciever.

I opened them up and they have the Original woofers. I plan on cleaning them up new veneer on the edges and new grill fabric seller had a cat and the sides are wasted.

They look like no one ever cared for them full of spider webs and dust they need some Love

Might put a light stain on them and some new crossovers.

Thank you for the warm welcomes.😃

Edited by JSX2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/24/2019 at 6:43 PM, JSX2 said:
On 8/24/2019 at 6:16 PM, Emile said:

No problem I paid 900.00 found them on ebay they were 1300.00 buy it now or make offer I offered 900 they were 15 mins from my house so it was an easy decision.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums.  Wow, you did good, twice!

Khorns in Good condition average $2177.  In Average/poor condition it's $1433.

+++

I track Heritage prices and I'd like to add your purchase to the spreadsheet.  May I ask where you got these?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums.  Wow, you did good, twice!

Khorns in Good condition average $2177.  In Average/poor condition it's $1433.

+++

I track Heritage prices and I'd like to add your purchase to the spreadsheet.  May I ask where you got these?

Thank you,  I picked them up in Mill Valley California.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats and Welcome!!!!!  I first heard Klipschorns in about 1976 in Audio Systems in Nashville.  A revelation!  *I* wanted La Scalas because I thought I could afford them (took 20 years).  Yours have the correct Klipsch sound, to me. 

This discussion will/may be of interest to you.

In addition, I will add that you might want to consider this crossover mod if or when you decide to replace the almost 45 year old capacitors in your crossovers.  The additional inductor will reduce the 9k Hz resonse bounce from the squawker a few dB and help balance system phase shift. 

Type AA JGA Mod.jpg

On 8/24/2019 at 4:00 PM, JSX2 said:

I have an awesome wife who puts up with all my Hi jinks.

Congrats. On both speakers and wife. Both keepers. Welcome to the forum. In your picture is the tophat not sitting correctly? On mine the collar sits over and in front of the bass bin front panel. And yes it looks to be walnut and if 1976 probably oiled finish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, babadono said:

Congrats. On both speakers and wife. Both keepers. Welcome to the forum. In your picture is the tophat not sitting correctly? On mine the collar sits over and in front of the bass bin front panel. And yes it looks to be walnut and if 1976 probably oiled finish.

Yes sir she is still my best friend going on 30 years..The hats were unbolted in that picture so they may have been out of the bolt holes the guy I bought them from was a super nice guy

but not super tidy or detail orientated  I think you are right on the walnut finish some of it is sun faded there are spots where someone spilled water or maybe beer 🍺 on it and it ran down the side.  I think I am going to put new veneer on the edges and then refinish them both and install new grill fabric.

Edited by JSX2
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 4:00 PM, JSX2 said:

Like I said I always wanted a pair thankfully I have an awesome wife who puts up with all my Hi jinks.

34 minutes ago, JSX2 said:

Yes sir she is still my best friend going on 30 years.

I, too, have an awesome wife, who is my best friend, who loves the looks and sound of our Klipschorns.  We built our Music Room and Home Theater together, and she built us a bunch of diffusors.   We had our 44th wedding anniversary 3 days ago.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:43 PM, JSX2 said:

full of spider webs and dust

What kind of music do the spiders like?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, garyrc said:

We had our 44th wedding anniversary 3 days ago.

Congratulations, Gary!

And to the OP, they look very nice. Some in the know will probably recommend how to take care of the finish...