Best Heresy placement in garage?

I have a rectangular shop/garage/shed that has a lot of "stuff" in it, picture a rectangle with an exercise machine in the NE corner.  Currently, the Heresy's are on the side wall opposite the exercise machine, on a table (about 4' in the air).  What do you recommend for speaker placement in a room where it's damn near impossible to do the "standard" setup?

I have a rectangular shop/garage/shed that has a lot of "stuff" in it, picture a rectangle with an exercise machine in the NE corner.  Currently, the Heresy's are on the side wall opposite the exercise machine, on a table (about 4' in the air).  What do you recommend for speaker placement in a room where it's damn near impossible to do the "standard" setup?

Can you place them upside down in the corners at the ceiling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Either orientation would provide the woofer reenforcement.  It's really more about the overall balance of the sound throughout the room.  If the speakers aren't above ear height, as is typically the case, then the tweeter would be closer than the woofer to your ears.  Inverting them when above your head merely provides the same tonal balance as when upright but below ear height.   There are a couple of other reasons, one of which is that getting the tweeter the furthest possible distance from an early reflection point is a good thing.  On the floor upside down, at the ceiling right side up, or on their side by a side wall with the tweeter "out" are all the worst, in the same way, for creating tonal balance and focus issues.

IMO, inverting them, in addition to bass reinforecement described above,  allows the tweeters to better distribute the highs down into the space.

Many years ago when I visited the factory in Hope in the testing lab for finished speakers, there was a reference K Horn mounted upside down on the ceiling in the corner. The ceiling acts as the floor in a corner. I don’t argue with the Colonel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the man who designed the speakers says to place them on the floor in the corner for best performance, you should. The ceiling is simply the floor, upside down. So, inverted in the corners would be the correct answer, IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

IMO, inverting them, in addition to bass reinforecement described above,  allows the tweeters to better distribute the highs down into the space.

And here was me thinking that you hang them upside down so that you put the flying hardware attachments on the bottom of the Heresy, not into precious veneer...

36 minutes ago, garthbernstein said:

unfortunately, I have an A frame shed!

Keep the speakers. Build a new shed! 😂 Just do the best you can to place them high up in whatever you have for corners, angled down into the listening area. I don’t think inverting them will matter with no solid surface available above the woofer. 

• Haha 1

Definitely suspend them from the ceiling, tilted down at an angle. If you really want bass in an arrangement such as yours, you're going to need a subwoofer.

While I didn't do this with Heresy's, I did suspend a pair of bookshelf speakers in mid-air, tilted down, in a large stockroom. Even if I was only playing FM, the sound was airy and spacious, with no echo.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Definitely suspend them from the ceiling, tilted down at an angle. If you really want bass in an arrangement such as yours, you're going to need a subwoofer.

While I didn't do this with Heresy's, I did suspend a pair of bookshelf speakers in mid-air, tilted down, in a large stockroom. Even if I was only playing FM, the sound was airy and spacious, with no echo.

Now suspending them in the air would be fun, that will be the next upgrade!  

I hope you can picture this.

Yes, ceiling corners.

To do that, pull the backs.  Add a pair of screws through the reinorcement block the back screws to about 1" apart and into the side of the cabinet, but not long enough to pierce the veneer.  Place those screws about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cab height from the bottom and on both sides.  Repeat at the top center so you have 3 reinforced fly points.  Drill a hole between each pair of new screws through the back for a bolt.  Those bolts will attach a wire cable or chain with a working load of at least 4x the weight of a Heresy, about 150 lbs.  Attach to ceiling with eye bolts also rated at least 4x the weight of your Heresies and use the 3rd attachment to aim the speakers.  Voila! 

Do you live in an earthquake zone?  At least double the above.