I'm drinking bourbon- AMA

Deang

On 8/24/2019 at 6:43 PM, Deang said:

I collect more than I drink. That's good, right?

20190824_184021.jpg

What do ya Think of the ocean aged?  

I see you like it *spicy*!  See if you can find a bottle of Chattanooga Whiskey Cask.  My all time favorite is Elijah Craig Single Barrel, 18 y.o.  The 23 y.o. is dark and musty leathery tasting.  Too much over the edge for me.  The 18 is "juust right". 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnA said:

My all time favorite is Elijah Craig Single Barrel, 18 y.o.

Their small batch is a great bang for the buck bourbon.

Dean and I have different tastes.   I can't speak for him but the ocean aged wasn't one of my favorites.

My God fellas.  How in the hell are you able to hold onto this stuff.  After frustrating weeks at work,..... come friday night.......those bottles would be callin' my name.  Only ones that last here are the ones I don't particularly care for but save them for guests that may like them.  If I like or love them....THEY WILL BE GONE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jwc said:

My God fellas.  How in the hell are you able to hold onto this stuff.  After frustrating weeks at work,..... come friday night.......those bottles would be callin' my name.  Only ones that last here are the ones I don't particularly care for but save them for guests that may like them.  If I like or love them....THEY WILL BE GONE!

I'll second that. Didn't want to be the one to say it, but completely agree you. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jwc said:

My God fellas.  How in the hell are you able to hold onto this stuff.

Buy more than you drink. 

I have a fairly decent collection but always have a couple bottles open at any given time.  I normally only drink on the weekends also which allows it to accumulate.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Their small batch is a great bang for the buck bourbon.

Finally picked up a bottle to try it while on vacation, and was pretty nice considering the price.  Everyone has such different tastes and budgets that it's a good thing there are so many to choose from.  During my trip to KY, I thought I was going to find a lot of new favorites, but when it was all said and done, I still like the ones that I did prior to the trip.  I've really only been drinking bourbon for a little over a year, so there are many to explore, but as of right now, the E.H. Taylor small batch that I tried in Hope, is my go to, but my stock is getting low (bad corks?) LOL, and me and some friends are going to make a run to Buffalo Trace to re-stock, since finding it here is a problem.  

I also learned that anything I have tried that is Rye, or a high Rye blended bourbon, has not been to my liking at all.  The Bulleit facility was incredible (high tech versus old school), but I did not care for any or their products.  Lots more to try, so I'm going to Carl's house and it looks like Dean needs a visit as well.

1 hour ago, jwc said:

After frustrating weeks at work,..... come friday night.......those bottles would be callin' my name.

Hell.  I work nights and if I've got a bottle, it gets swigged-from before I change out of my work clothes.  Any day of the week.  That's what it's for.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Pete H said:

the E.H. Taylor small batch that I tried in Hope,

You're welcome!!    If you can score a few bottles, especially the single barrel, buy them and keep em for me till the spring.....  Almost impossible to find here in NW Indiana.

https://bourbonsippers.com/top-10-overrated-whiskeys/

Bulleit is an excellent Bourbon - if you like ryes.

I can enjoy any Bourbon, but the wheated stuff is definitely getting a chunk of ice.

Jefferson Very Old Small Batch is very good, and how good Jefferson Ocean is depends on the voyage. The middle voyages were stored below the deck, so weren't exposed to as much rocking or salt from the air. When they moved them back to the deck, the unique flavor returned. I have bottles of 17 and 18. I have no idea what the older voyages taste like.

I have self control issues, so nothing during the week for me! I also prefer to drink alone. If I'm distracted or yacking with someone, I lose track of how much I'm drinking. Just ask Jim!

i have a bottle of the Weller Antique. It’s good ... has a great first taste followed by a peppery burn.  However, i’ve recently renewed my love of Tequila. Halfway through a bottle of La Fortaleza -- man, is that good stuff. Finishing my last 12-pack of Molson Golden now though.  It’s an hour drive each way to get more (because they don’t sell it around here), so I’ll have to switch back to my second fave Modelo Especial, until i get the mood to make the trek to get more Molson. 

I do not drink heavily or often but George Dickel #12 is my American whiskey of choice. I am not a native Southerner, but an old friend introduced me to Tennessee Whiskey almost 35 years ago. It was an easy to love drink.

But a 21 year old Glen Livet is still my preferred whiskey.

27 minutes ago, Marvel said:

But you should call it Scotch, just to be clear... 😉

And Dickel 12 is a Tennessee whiskey that tastes like swallowing cane sugar. JD is the same way - 

Did a lot of Scotch before I discovered Bourbon. Glenfiddich 18 is really good.

@Marvel A bit more than 30 years ago on a trip to the UK I was introduced to Scotch Whiskey. In Scotland, it is referred to as Whiskey.

I have sampled many single malt Scotch whiskey's that have a flavor profile that closely resembles lacquer thinner. And a few that are truly "nectar of the Gods".

Glenlivet 21, Balvenie Portwood, Glenfiddich 18, Macallan 25 all please my palate.

1 hour ago, TFR1 said:

I do not drink heavily or often but George Dickel #12 is my American whiskey of choice. I am not a native Southerner, but an old friend introduced me to Tennessee Whiskey almost 35 years ago. It was an easy to love drink.

But a 21 year old Glen Livet is still my preferred whiskey.

I like Dickel, my brother lives in Winchester and he recommended it. Tullahoma is close. He drives past Lynchburg to get there. Used to turn up my nose to KY bourbon.

Four Roses Yellow label. That is the my stuff now. Only drink straight. Maybe a couple cubes made from filtered water. 

People give me whiskey. Think I am a whiskey drinker. I just have a lot. Used to drink Weller 107 because it was in a pretty bottle 35 years ago. Liked Eagle Rare better. 

Found a forty year old bottle of Beam in the liquor closet. Still had the Oklahoma tax sticker, been gone from there a while. It was excellent. I think sitting in the dark for a LONG time made it much smoother. Maybe old Beam is what Hank Jr drank.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

anyone do the Bourbon Trail?

I've mulled it over, haven't got around to it yet.  Make a nice getaway with momma on the bike.  Them highway numbers, though have no rhyme nor reason.  Stumbled onto a back gate for Fort Knox once, not knowing what it was I pulled up to the gate to ask the gentlemen for directions.  They almost wouldn't let me (& momma) turn the bike around and leave, like "Deliverance" only different.  Reminded me of the time I nearly stepped on that yellow line at the air base...

8 hours ago, TFR1 said:

@Marvel A bit more than 30 years ago on a trip to the UK I was introduced to Scotch Whiskey. In Scotland, it is referred to as Whiskey.

I have sampled many single malt Scotch whiskey's that have a flavor profile that closely resembles lacquer thinner. And a few that are truly "nectar of the Gods".

Glenlivet 21, Balvenie Portwood, Glenfiddich 18, Macallan 25 all please my palate.

Of course it's whisky... I'm just jerkin' yer chain. I went thru a period for a few months in early 2006 where I drank a bit too much. Loved the Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie. I was just emptying my wallet too quickly. It's mostly why I stick with beer (although a friend of mine has a still and makes a pretty good beverage).

• Like 1