I'm drinking bourbon- AMA

Deang

I'm not a drinker...  so don't know names of anything.

In my work, I travel near the (old & now closed) Brushy Mountain Prison where James Earl Ray Jr. was held.  Interesting place, you can now do lunch there, do tours and the like.

They have a Moonshine "End of the Line" that is made there.  There is a story of one of the inmates making moonshine right out in the open.  I think they said he worked in the kitchen and one of the "cleaning sinks" was actually his moonshine process.  (but I have no clue, just reporting what I was told)

Anyway, you can now get this "End of the Line" moonshine there.  Is it any good?  No clue.  Is it just a touristy novelty trap?  No clue.

If anyone would like to try some, if they ship, have at it.  if they don't ship, I'd be happy to swing by there when I'm in that area and pick some up.

I bought six small bottles (about $75)  so we could pass them around to our drinking friends.....let them decide what to do with it!!!

https://brushymoonshine.com/

881497888_EndoftheLine.thumb.jpg.243703095afee2750b6acd1f81e0325b.jpg

On 8/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, jwc said:

O I've already tried Weller 12 year. It's very good is just hard to find.

Anyone here ever tried Four roses small batch?

YES!  It swaps place with Elijah Craig Small Batch as my #1 preference on occasion.  Smoother and sweeter than Elijah, but a little less interesting sometimes. 

Look for any of the Chattanooga Whiskey beer barrel finished whiskeys for a really interesting and pleasant sip on ice. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, Coytee said:

In my work, I travel near the (old & now closed) Brushy Mountain Prison where James Earl Ray Jr. was held.  Interesting place, you can now do lunch there, do tours and the like.

They have a Moonshine "End of the Line" that is made there.  There is a story of one of the inmates making moonshine right out in the open.  I think they said he worked in the kitchen and one of the "cleaning sinks" was actually his moonshine process.  (but I have no clue, just reporting what I was told)

Anyway, you can now get this "End of the Line" moonshine there.  Is it any good?  No clue.  Is it just a touristy novelty trap?  No clue.

If anyone would like to try some, if they ship, have at it.  if they don't ship, I'd be happy to swing by there when I'm in that area and pick some up.

I bought six small bottles (about $75)  so we could pass them around to our drinking friends.....let them decide what to do with it!!!

Perhaps a taste of the Scared Straight would tell, but flavored whiskey is akin to Boone's Farm or a tequila sunrise.  👎

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2019 at 11:19 PM, Panelhead said:

I like Dickel, my brother lives in Winchester and he recommended it. Tullahoma is close. He drives past Lynchburg to get there. Used to turn up my nose to KY bourbon.

Four Roses Yellow label. That is the my stuff now. Only drink straight. Maybe a couple cubes made from filtered water. 

People give me whiskey. Think I am a whiskey drinker. I just have a lot. Used to drink Weller 107 because it was in a pretty bottle 35 years ago. Liked Eagle Rare better. 

Found a forty year old bottle of Beam in the liquor closet. Still had the Oklahoma tax sticker, been gone from there a while. It was excellent. I think sitting in the dark for a LONG time made it much smoother. Maybe old Beam is what Hank Jr drank.

Dickel has a burnt licorice like undertone that I just can't like, but my old Grandad loved the stuff.  Kept one of the goose-neck commemorative bottles the pour from. 

https://www.drinksplanet.com/1964-george-dickel-tennessee-whiskey-souvenir-bottle-first-bottling-83751.html

Beam does a fantastic job for the volume they produce.  Eagle Rare was my bourbon choice in the '80s.  It is finally easier to find.  Won't go wrong with it! 

On 8/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, Coytee said:

That butterscotch sounds intriguing though.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:39 AM, Marvel said:

That's ok, I have access to some made a lot more local than that. It doesn't come with labels...

yeah Bruce ... the previous generation of my family had stuff like that. It was called Jackass ... and at every family gathering, at some point, out came the Jackass where everyone would do a shot. 

I remember once telling my Aunt, “I can’t believe my 80 year old Aunt is drinking me under the table.”  She said, “it’s just that I have about 60 years more experience than you do."

That stuff was powerful. They cut a gallon with a pound of honey and some water (not sure how much); but, it was still stronger than anything I’ve ever tasted. 

Sadly, everyone from that generation has passed away ... thus, the end of Jackass Era. 

Those flavored whiskeys with fruit are a novelty that do taste good....but get old quick too.  The Jim Beam Apple taste good.  I have some that I will hit on once in a blue moon.

Got whiskey or bourbon laying around that nobody drinks?  Make some cherry Bounce out of it.  Google it.

I'm not a fan of whiskey that has "flavor" added in any way. IMO whiskey flavor profile should only come from the mash bill and the barrel. With that being said, I do enjoy whiskey "finished" in other barrels to modify the profile. A couple of my favorites are Yippe ki-yay from High West. It is rye whiskey finished in syrah and vermouth barrels. Another I like is Slaughter House from wine maker David Phinney. It is American whiskey (undisclosed mashbill) finished in Napa Bordeaux barrels. I would love to hear anyone else's experience with "barrel finished" whiskeys.

21 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Try Amador then.  Made in KY, shipped to CA then finished in wine barrels.  I really like it.

I've been tempted to try it ... 

Just scored this. I'm saving it for my son's next birthday.

20190830_091702.jpg

• Like 2