I'm drinking bourbon- AMA

Deang

Was waiting for my takeout today and visited the bar to have a beer while i was waiting.  Noticed a bottle of Stagg Jr. Bourbon on the shelf. Ordered a shot.  $20; but that stuff is GOOD.  Then i noticed they also had Old Rip Van Winkle ... i think i’ll go back tomorrow and try that one (i asked and it’s $35 per shot).  You never know unless you try it. 

On 10/2/2019 at 11:13 PM, BigStewMan said:

Old Rip Van Winkle ... i think i’ll go back tomorrow and try that one ..............  You never know unless you try it. 

Yes do that.  I figured it would be over 50 bucks a shot.

I popped open my bottle of Michters this weekend.  It's another one of those that I've never had before but wanted to try.  Normally the first thing I do is enjoy the aroma of the bourbon for a while before I actually taste it.  There are several that I really like and spend a bit of time doing this before I actually drink it.  This particular brand wasn't enjoyable at all and I just about wrote it off without ever even tasting it.  I just didn't enjoy it at all.  I figured I'd power through the bottle in the next few weeks and move on to something else.  Once I actually tasted it, I changed my mind.  It really had a nice finish to it and I found myself enjoying it more and more as the ice melted slightly.  This one will go into my "would buy again list" much to my surprise.

I had a splash of Four Roses Single Barrel on Saturday night as the temperatures have started dipping into the 50s at night. Four Roses makes consistently excellent whiskey across their product lines from the cheapest the Yellow Label bottle, which may be one of the great bargains in bourbon, around $20, to their high end bottlings.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

This particular brand wasn't enjoyable at all

you know what’s not enjoyable ... took a slug of the Weller Antique last night, some went down the wrong pipe.  That hurt!  for an hour afterwards it felt like extreme acid reflux burning my esophagus. Maybe i’m not old enough to drink?

28 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

you know what’s not enjoyable ... took a slug of the Weller Antique last night, some went down the wrong pipe.  That hurt!  for an hour afterwards it felt like extreme acid reflux burning my esophagus. Maybe i’m not old enough to drink?

I hate when that happens.  Done it with hot sauce too.  Not fun at all.

On 10/5/2019 at 2:57 PM, Deang said:

Maybe grab some Booker’s 2019-03 while you can - because once it’s gone - it’s gone forever.

I had some of that at the cheshire inn in st Louis.   Ill be looking for that when I get back home

3 hours ago, jwc said:

Im on a list to get this.  Cant wait to try it

i’m certainly not a bourbon expert ... more of a tequila man; but, this stuff has a bite to it. A lot stronger than the Special Reserve. Great smell and initial taste that ends with a peppery bite. 

• Moderators

Not bourbon but scotch and very strange.

Like Tide pods for adults :huh:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/business/glenlivet-whisky-scotch-pods.html

Glenlivet, one of the venerable names in Scotch whisky, experimented with something new this month: a tiny whisky cocktail that comes in a clear, edible packet instead of a glass.

It even came with a hashtag for social media: #noglassrequired. But Twitter users seemed unimpressed, and a little freaked out.

In a video released last week, Glenlivet described the walnut-size pouches as “edible cocktail capsules made from seaweed, meaning no need for a glass, ice or a cocktail stirrer.”

“To enjoy them, pop the capsule in your mouth and take a bite to release the delicious cocktail ingredients,” said the video, which as of Monday had been viewed more than 8.5 million times on Twitter. Three cocktails are available in the pouches, and the recipes were developed by Tayer + Elementary, a bar in London.

07xp-whisky-superJumbo.jpg