I'm drinking bourbon- AMA

Deang

On 11/23/2019 at 10:27 PM, BigStewMan said:

i wonder if anyone here has ever tasted Pappy’s?  Personally, i know a lot of folks that want to; but nobody that ever has. That bar & grill across the street from me charges $35 for a shot of Old Rip Van Winkle. 

I have 10 and 12 year on my shelf. I've have tasted 15yr, 20yr, and Van Winkle  Reserve Rye. The only one I haven't tasted is 23 yr. I have a buddy that has a bottle of 23 but has not opened it, and I don't blame him. Anyway, the stuff is good, but not life changing. There are many better value whiskeys out there. Everyone just freaks out because it's so hard to get. Don't get me wrong, i'll buy every bottle I can that is not insanely marked up. I'm hoping to move up the Pappy food chain this Holiday season. I have a couple events coming up where they will be raffling the chance to buy.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 2:43 PM, CECAA850 said:

No it was just for Pete.  Lol.

Love you too buddy!  

I've had the Taylor single and small batch and personally, I don't thing the single is really that much different to justify the additional $30.00, but they are both good, if you can find them.

@jwc did you crack the McKenna yet or is that party coming up.  Would really like a side by side comparison, but then again, can't find the darn McKenna again either.  Walked in to the local liquor store today and it took me all of 10 seconds to scan and start walking out and the clerk asked if they could help me...........I said yes, you could actually stock some decent bourbon once in a while and continued on my way. Guess it's going to be Bookers for a while.  

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

I've had the Taylor single and small batch and personally, I don't thing the single is really that much different to justify the additional $30.00, but they are both good, if you can find them.

don’t know if this is true; but i heard that with single barrels there may be variations in the taste ... i.e. the next barrel may taste slightly different. The person that said this said that the first time he tasted Taylor Single, he hated it.  Tried it again some time later and loved it.  Seems to be that there wouldn’t be THAT huge of difference between barrels to go from hate it to love it. but, if there is variation, i got a good barrel because i love it. 

13 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

don’t know if this is true; but i heard that with single barrels there may be variations in the taste ... i.e. the next barrel may taste slightly different. The person that said this said that the first time he tasted Taylor Single, he hated it.  Tried it again some time later and loved it.  Seems to be that there wouldn’t be THAT huge of difference between barrels to go from hate it to love it. but, if there is variation, i got a good barrel because i love it. 

If you can get the cheap version :o and try it side by side with the single barrel, that would be a worthy comparison. Back to the store.  LOL  I think we should have a gathering for audio and Bourbon in KY at some point in the future.  My first experience on the bourbon trail was wonderful and I certainly learned a lot about the process.  

• Like 1

My haul from a whiskey fest over the weekend. I got to the store at 2:45 am and was 2nd inline for the 9 am event. Top 3 inline guaranteed I would get whatever I wanted based on bottle counts. They later had a lottery for the Pappys and BTAC along with other rare stuff. I got skunked in the lottery , but it was still a good day overall.

20191130_164325 B.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capo72 said:

My haul from a whiskey fest over the weekend. I got to the store at 2:45 am and was 2nd inline for the 9 am event. Top 3 inline guaranteed I would get whatever I wanted based on bottle counts. They later had a lottery for the Pappys and BTAC along with other rare stuff. I got skunked in the lottery , but it was still a good day ove

Excellent score. Hard to get that stuff around here.

32 minutes ago, jwc said:

Excellent score. Hard to get that stuff around here.

I hear you.  I have a trip coming up to Louisville and will be stocking up while I'm there.  I go to stores and can't find one product from Buffalo Trace out of the numerous offerings they have.

40 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I go to stores and can't find one product from Buffalo Trace out of the numerous offerings they have.

Yep, same here.  The retailers here don't put the good stuff out on the shelves.  They hoard it for their "best customers".......If you ask for something, they just look and laugh.

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Nice score on the Elmer T Lee.  That's the only one that I see that I have a hard time finding (haven't found yet).

If I could have only had 1 bottle, it would have been the ETL. That stuff is fantastic. I had a bottle previously. I brought it to my friends cabin and it was so good we drank it all that weekend. I have been on the hunt for a replacement ever since . This bottle will be savored!