I'm drinking bourbon- AMA

Deang

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Yep, same here.  The retailers here don't put the good stuff out on the shelves.  They hoard it for their "best customers".......If you ask for something, they just look and laugh.

But in Ohio, you literally can search the inventory of the entire state so based on my understanding, they can't do that here but I won't know that for sure until I locate something and have that store tell me they don't have it.

39 minutes ago, Pete H said:

But in Ohio, you literally can search the inventory of the entire state so based on my understanding, they can't do that here but I won't know that for sure until I locate something and have that store tell me they don't have it.

i’ve done that in Oregon.  Found a place that had Weller 12. Drove there and the cashier called her boss and asked if she could sell it and was told no. she said it was reserved for “restaurants.”  Not going back to that store. 

53 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i’ve done that in Oregon.  Found a place that had Weller 12. Drove there and the cashier called her boss and asked if she could sell it and was told no. she said it was reserved for “restaurants.”  Not going back to that store. 

The first time I ever had Weller 12 was in a restaurant.  That started the slippers slope I'm sliding down on now.

• Haha 1

Just now, BigStewMan said:

ever tried to have a restaurant order a bottle for you?  I wonder if they would or perhaps the availability is too rare for them to do a customer a favor like that.

Just like the liquor store I would imagine.  You need to know the owner.

53 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

ever tried to have a restaurant order a bottle for you?  I wonder if they would or perhaps the availability is too rare for them to do a customer a favor like that.

No, they wouldn't do that.  Many high end or rare bottles carry such high margins to be served in the restaurant that it's in their best interest to keep them in house.  Having worked for quite a few years in the wine business, I can say this with confidence.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Many high end or rare bottles carry such high margins to be served in the restaurant that it's in their best interest to keep them in house. 

the bar & grill across the street carries Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon. They charge $35 per shot.  So, with a shot being an ounce and a half, that’s 16 shots per 750 ml bottle equally $560 in sales.  Van Winkle website says the MSRP is $69.99.

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

the bar & grill across the street carries Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon. They charge $35 per shot.  So, with a shot being an ounce and a half, that’s 16 shots per 750 ml bottle equally $560 in sales.  Van Winkle website says the MSRP is $69.99.

Dang, they are looking to retire soon to somewhere soon I suppose.

You would think that at the high prices some of these items go for at restaurants/bars, that they may not sell very quickly.......but oh no.....the more high end goodies on the menu, the better they sell, almost regardless of price.

An ounce and a half?  That's a pretty healthy serving for a rare item.  Usually it's strictly an ounce.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Can't wait to taste it, or are you just using it for charcoal starter?

Jim,

You have 2019-01, 03, 04 waiting here for you. There's a ton of Booker's still around, I saw 2017 and 2018 varieties. Almost everyone is $79.99 except Jewel who has the six pack price of $64.99 each. 

Mark

8 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Jim,

You have 2019-01, 03, 04 waiting here for you. There's a ton of Booker's still around, I saw 2017 and 2018 varieties. Almost everyone is $79.99 except Jewel who has the six pack price of $64.99 each. 

Mark

@jimjimbo if it hasn't been bought already don't bother with the 01.