I'm drinking bourbon- AMA

Deang

Ok, so I have to highly recommend a bottle here. I scored 1792 Full Proof last weekend. This is Jim Murray"s (whiskey Bible) World Whiskey of the Year. I was able to score another bottle last night. It is 125 proof, so you Bookers fans should enjoy this. I have had it neat and also added a few drops of water which really opened it up and brought out vanilla and caramel notes. I I have been on the lookout for this for a long time and never see it. I have seen it twice in the last week, so get out there! It is like no other 1792 variety I have had from Bartons. At $55-60 it is an incredible value which is my #1 attribute in a whiskey!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, capo72 said:

Ok, so I have to highly recommend a bottle here. I scored 1792 Full Proof last weekend. This is Jim Murray"s (whiskey Bible) World Whiskey of the Year. I was able to score another bottle last night. It is 125 proof, so you Bookers fans should enjoy this. I have had it neat and also added a few drops of water which really opened it up and brought out vanilla and caramel notes. I I have been on the lookout for this for a long time and never see it. I have seen it twice in the last week, so get out there! It is like no other 1792 variety I have had from Bartons. At $55-60 it is an incredible value which is my #1 attribute in a whiskey!

I've had it and enjoy Bookers more but different palates enjoy different things.  I've stopped looking at lists as everyone's taste in Bourbon is different.  Now I simply keep a list of what I buy and put a "would buy again" or "would not buy again" next to the name of the bottle.  Congrats though, it's always great to find one that you really enjoy.

I think last years world spirits competition in California bourbon category listed Bulleit Bourbon first and Ezra Brooks ($15/bottle) second.   It's great for the price but shouldn't have been 2'nd when looking at the enormous number of entries.  There again, everybody likes different things.  There were a multitude of bourbons on the list that I like better than those two.

Re. restaurant ordering a bottle for you ... in Edmonton there was/is a restaurant which would sell space in wine lockers.  Then, you got access to all wine at basically wholesale prices, so if a distributor had it, the restaurant could bring it in for you.  Of course, you were expected to have your wine with a meal at their restaurant.  Fortunately, the restaurant was a very good Italian restaurant with very good staff.  Had some very nice Amarone via this method.  They treated us well and I was happy to pay for the locker.  Since we moved, we don't have the locker but I have it on good authority that it has not been rented to anyone else so may still have our name on it.  I wonder if I left any bottle(s) in it?

13 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Re. restaurant ordering a bottle for you ... in Edmonton there was/is a restaurant which would sell space in wine lockers.  Then, you got access to all wine at basically wholesale prices, so if a distributor had it, the restaurant could bring it in for you.  Of course, you were expected to have your wine with a meal at their restaurant.  Fortunately, the restaurant was a very good Italian restaurant with very good staff.  Had some very nice Amarone via this method.  They treated us well and I was happy to pay for the locker.  Since we moved, we don't have the locker but I have it on good authority that it has not been rented to anyone else so may still have our name on it.  I wonder if I left any bottle(s) in it?

I shared a wine locker with my boss at the Morton's Steakhouse in Singapore.  Didn't exactly pay wholesale, but prices were definitely better than ordering off their list.....I swear I ate/drank there at least once a week for three years....

• Like 1

I”ve only been able to find (and purchase) the Antique and the Special Reserve. Antique definitely had a bigger bite to it. With a spash of water, its grown on me though. There is a nice sweetness to it. Carl says that i’d really like the 12 -- just can’t find any in Oregon for sale. 

after the first glass of the Four Roses Small Batch ... i give it a Thumbs Down.  For a supposedly “smooth” bourbon, this has quite a burn. In my cabinet, Colonel E. H. Taylor Single Barrel is still king. 

I was torn between getting the four roses or the 1792 ... wishing i would have tried the 1792 ... but i only wasted $35 on the roses. live and learn. 

I will say that when i first got the Weller Antique, i thought it had quite a bite ... not so much now.  Maybe my impression of the four roses will change over time too. 

On 8/24/2019 at 3:43 PM, Deang said:

I collect more than I drink. That's good, right?

20190824_184021.jpg

Dean, i was at the liquor store earlier and saw some WhistlePig ... not sure which one it was but the price was $299.  The name alone made me want to try it. 

Looked at some Old Forester and then stupidly decided on Four Roses Small Batch.  After one glass, not a fan of it. In fact, I’m heading to the cabinet to pour some Colonel Taylor Single Barrel. I think this Four Roses will sit there for a long time. 

On 12/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, Pete H said:

How does the Weller 12 compare to the Weller Antique?  I'm asking because I can't find any of the 12, but can find, in very limited supply, the antique.  

Buy the Antique whenever you see it.  If it was that easy here, I'd be flush with Weller....but alas.

I will say that I've scored a few special items on our annual trip  a couple of weeks ago, but haven't put everything together for a photo yet.  I think I'm going to start wholesaling EH Taylor, for as many as I have on my bar right now.  Hard to resist.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 1:44 PM, Pete H said:

How does the Weller 12 compare to the Weller Antique?  I'm asking because I can't find any of the 12, but can find, in very limited supply, the antique.  

Same flavor profile but Antique is a little hotter.  You'll see for yourself in April.  I'll probably bring a litre.

On 12/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, BigStewMan said:

bought a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch to try.  I’ve never had it and several have said it is good.

Agreed.  I have that 4 roses too.  Fair.  Left on shelf for those who want bourbon and coke.

On 11/26/2019 at 5:05 PM, Pete H said:

@jwc did you crack the McKenna yet or is that party coming up.  Would really like a side by side comparison, but then again, can't find the darn McKenna again either.  

We had it.  Overrated.  It was good....but not something as good as weller 12.  There are many other bourbons Id rather have.  It was liked by the group....but not a show stealer.

20191208_075953.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said the Weller Antique is a bigger bourbon than is the Weller 12. Both are excellent, the 12 is smoother than is the 107 proof Antique. I cannot find any Wellers in my neck of the woods as folks perceive them as "Poor Mans Pappy". Glad I have a pair of Antique bottles in reserve, no telling when I may come across any in the future.

The Larceny might grow on you CECAA850, I am partial to Wheat bourbons myself and while not in the same league as Weller or VW, it is not bad on the rocks.

37 minutes ago, RT FAN said:

The Larceny might grow on you CECAA850

Normally I like something or I don't.  One glass is about all it takes to make my mind up.  We're going to my daughters Christmas day and I'll bring it with me.  If my son in law likes it I'll leave the bottle.  If not, at least he'll help me with it.  It doesn't remind me in the least of any of the Weller products.

Mind you, I'm not complaining but I wonder why 12 and Antique are so much easier to get here than the rest of the country?

I scored an Elmer T. Lee and a Rock Hill Farms this past weekend at an event. I stopped by my local connection yesterday and she offered me an Old Fitz fall 2019 that just came out. It is a 15 yr. BIB wheated bourbon. Looking forward to trying it this weekend with some friends.