I'm drinking bourbon- AMA

Deang

9 minutes ago, Deang said:

Over hyped wheater with no character. 

I’m talking about the bourbon. 😄

Well, you can stick to your Larceny then.  I cracked one open a couple weeks ago.  Almost dumped it but ended up giving it to my son in law.

The differences in peoples taste preferences never cease to amaze me.  That's why I give zero credence to reviewers.  The only way you can tell if you're going to like something is to buy a bottle and try it yourself.

• Thanks 2

Had some of this New Years Eve.  I'd never heard of it prior.  It's listed as a beer but for more details you can google Sam Adams Utopia.  I've never had anything quite like it.  I was told that msrp on a bottle, if you can find one, is $200 and secondary is about 5 or 600. To me it was more like a liqueur than a beer.

2019-12-31 18.47.20.jpg

I don't think I'm ever spending $200 on a bottle of bear that doesn't taste like beer, but that's me.  I'm not sure I would spend $200 for a bottle of anything unless that bottle had a higher value in the open market and there was a profit to be had.  Too many very good selections that work for me and most are under $60.00.  Now if it's someone else's bottle, well hell yes I would try it. :D

10 minutes ago, Pete H said:

.  Now if it's someone else's bottle, well hell yes I would try it. 

Exactly.

There's certainly a secondary market for this just like bourbon.   He could have easily doubled his money but wanted to try it.

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Had some of this New Years Eve.  I'd never heard of it prior.  It's listed as a beer but for more details you can google Sam Adams Utopia.  I've never had anything quite like it.  I was told that msrp on a bottle, if you can find one, is $200 and secondary is about 5 or 600. To me it was more like a liqueur than a beer.

2019-12-31 18.47.20.jpg

There's a couple stores that have it, one has it at $229 and the other at $249. If secondary is that high I need to buy them and flip. The two I've seen are gold bottles if that makes a difference. I just picked up a 12 yo Knob Creek 100 proof for $60, see how that tastes.

M

Just now, RT FAN said:

Had some Michter's bourbon the other day, only aged 4 years but I liked the small sample I tried. @ $40 a bottle, might have to buy one in the near future.

Michters is a weird on for me.  I really don't like the nose on that stuff and pretty much decided I didn't like the way it was going to taste just by the aroma.  To my surprise, I'd buy it again.  No idea why it smells the way it does or why it's not appealing to me.  They make a toasted bourbon barrel bourbon too that I'd like to try but haven't.  I think it's black labeled.

1 minute ago, Davis said:

I unsuccessfully tried to procure a bottle of Eagle Rare for News Year Eve.

Instead a more commodity available Angels Envy Port Finish had to fill in. 

Son in law loves the stuff but I'm not a fan.  Of course, I like Bookers and he doesn't LOL.  Some stuff we agree on, some we're polar opposites.

1 hour ago, Davis said:

I unsuccessfully tried to procure a bottle of Eagle Rare for News Year Eve.

Instead a more commodity available Angels Envy Port Finish had to fill in. 

Like it has been stated many time on this thread, it's all about what you like, regardless of price or anyone else telling you how great something is.  When I toured Angels Envy in June and sampled all that they had to offer, it didn't work for me, but that's why they make so many flavors of poison, so you can pick yours.