I'm drinking bourbon- AMA

Deang

8 hours ago, capo72 said:

Scored another Weller 12 at the grocery store last night for $36!

I'll find a winning lottery ticket on the ground around here before I'll find a bottle of Weller (anything).  I've only found a Weller Antique and a Special Reserve in the past two years!  Another reason to hate Oregon ... that and the ridiculous tax bill I just received. 

5 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I'll find a winning lottery ticket on the ground around here before I'll find a bottle of Weller (anything).  I've only found a Weller Antique and a Special Reserve in the past two years!  Another reason to hate Oregon ... that and the ridiculous tax bill I just received. 

The thing is stew, the stones have a lyric for just about anything.  They are not overrated.

• Haha 2

Just now, oldtimer said:

The thing is stew, the stones have a lyric for just about anything.  They are not overrated.

you oldbuckster reincarnated?  He loved the stones. I saw them back in 1982 on their "Farewell Tour."  It was at the coliseum in Los Angeles. Opening acts were Prince, J. Geils Band, and George Thorogood. 

Just now, BigStewMan said:

i just had a glass of the Four Roses Small Batch ... ugh!  Had to mix in some 7 Up ... will never buy that stuff again. Now onto some Modelo (much more enjoyable).

It's hell getting through the bad bottles.  I'm working on a Larceny myself.   Every once on a while I'll have to cleanse my palate with some Elijah Craig. 

• Like 2

I no longer have unlimited picture posting privileges that I enjoyed having when I was a moderator so I'll have to find an online picture hosting site.  In lieu of that, you guys get no picture but I picked up an Old Fitzgerald bottled in bond 15 year yesterday.  That's one of those things that you stumble across when you're looking for something else.

} Not being an avid bourbon drinker and/or aficionado, I find the old names in bourbon - Heaven Hill, Old Fitzgerald, Weller, etc. as those currently being hunted kinda funny. When I was in the liquor business two or three lifetimes ago, these bonded, 100 proof bourbons were a dime a dozen, meaning they were nothing considered “special”. Only a very small percentage of customers bought bonded bourbon in those days, price being a main reason. I’d bet a dollar to a donut 10-15 years ago a bottle of a Old Fitz would sit on the store shelf getting more attention from being dusted than an interest in purchasing.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

I find the old names in bourbon - Heaven Hill, Old Fitzgerald, Weller, etc. as those currently being hunted kinda funny.

Supply and demand at it's finest.  I was told that the shortage started when Japan became a big player in the bourbon market.  Thousands of bottles that were allocated for the US started going overseas shorting the US supply.  Combine that with the fact that the bourbon distilleries have to project demand 12 to 15 years in advance in a fickle market.

• Like 1