I'm drinking bourbon- AMA

Deang

I’ve never had Pappy’s.  The Bar & Grille across the street has Old Rip Van Winkle -- i will go over one day and try it.

Heard some guys saying that they liked the 15 year Pappy more than the 23.  I have also heard that you can overage Bourbon and the taste suffers. Not being an expert, I can’t say definitively.

I do have a bottle of Col E. H. Taylor Single Barrel -- just finished a Weller Antique (had a strong bite at first, but by the time i got to the end of the bottle, i was in love with the stuff). Also have a half bottle of Four Roses Small Batch (which i’ll never buy again, don’t care for it at all).

BTW.  I had some Blantons this weekend.  It was good....but I wouldnt fall over myself to buy it.

I bought my 4th bottle of Town Branch (not the malt)   Finished it.  Sub $40.  Hard to find but when I see it

...I buy it.

Her ability to get these difficult to find Bourbons isn't by lottery.  Basically, some places will get the opportunity to get the bourbon by luck, connections, or volume.

She said what she has to do is buy a whole bunch of cheap stuff in order to qualify for the buy.  Then she has a hard time unloading the cheap stuff.  In return, she charges a pretty penny for the bourbon desired.

When talking to two of the liquor store owners here locally, they can't get any of the stuff listed.  But one told me the way he can get it ....   is that I would have to agree to buy some barrels along with it to get the bourbons of desire at a cheap price.  Problem...is the barrels are typically not that great quality.....plus it is a $hitload of bourbon that I may not like.

I would want to try the following:

Weller full proof

Pappy 15

You would pick the third based on what your favorite was that I haven't tried before.

Agree with you on the Blantons, it was fine, but not something I'm really looking for after trying it.

I'd heard mentioned here what I already knew, that the Four Roses Single Barrel was harsh. Yea I considered it more bang for the buck since I haven't drank to get drunk since about 1989, and a fifth will last me a couple of months now.

Found myself making sours more often than not just because I like them and they're easy. That or with ginger ale.

ABCstore next to the grocery I go to most often never had any of the names I asked about, tried the Jeffersons Small Batch and it didn't really turn me on either. A smaller store near the older money part of the south side had a gal there that just cracked me up earlier. Said "Don't you tell me you're ignorant about bourbon since you're asking me about it!" She was the one that asked if she could help!  

Told me a truck came in yesterday and she had two bottles left of the decent stuff that had all but sold out already. A Larceny Barrel Proof and one by Elijah Craig. Picked up the EC, will try it with cubes later on, it's even more strong at 136.8 proof.

I'll find a way to start going there every time I get the itch now, it is literally around the corner from the BBQ Smokehouse & the good French bistro.

22 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

A Larceny Barrel Proof and one by Elijah Craig. Picked up the EC, will try it with cubes later on, it's even more strong at 136.8 proof.

Good pick.  I had to make bubba tea (sweet tea and bourbon) with the last of my Larceny to get it down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I'd heard mentioned here what I already knew, that the Four Roses Single Barrel was harsh.

I was just cleaning up some trash and something flew up and hit my on my lip.  I washed my face, rinsed my mouth, and then used some Four Roses as a mouthwash.  If there were any germs in my mouth, they've got to be dead now ... after about 20 seconds, when I spit it out, my tongue was on fire.

worst stuff ever (if you want to enjoy the drink).

the only way I can drink it is to mix with some seven up.

I haven't tried the EC ... hearing good reviews though.  Still have 1/2 bottle of Colonel Taylor. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

WLW, Pappy 15 and GTS. 

JC, what was the price for all of it? You can PM me please. 

And make sure you give me your address, I have some flyware for you

Mark

Pretty sure they want secondary prices for it but he can tell you for sure.

18 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Picked up the EC, will try it with cubes later on, it's even more strong at 136.8 proof.

The C919 release is fantastic. It's hot, but not as bad as the proof suggests IMO. It's one of the best releases this year, along with the 1792 Full Proof.

• Thanks 1

Didn't even get to try it last night the circumstance required my full attention here.

Good thing is that is exactly what I've got in the cabinet @capo72!

IMG-20200220-122526.jpg

Man, the picture I just took does show a nice deep amber color, wonder if I'll perceive all the aromas and flavors their webpage states it's got!

20 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Good pick.  I had to make bubba tea (sweet tea and bourbon) with the last of my Larceny to get it down.

Like bubba tea even though Ronnie Van Zandt made fun of it long, long ago.

Decided $40 for the 4roses was wasted if I cut it with two cubes or sugar water plus a lime & bitters.

37 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Didn't even get to try it last night the circumstance required my full attention here.

Good thing is that is exactly what I've got in the cabinet @capo72!

IMG-20200220-122526.jpg

Man, the picture I just took does show a nice deep amber color, wonder if I'll perceive all the aromas and flavors their webpage states it's got!

just be careful that if you have a few too many, you don't grab one of those "other" bourbons in the picture and start slugging that. 

• Haha 1

When I said this year, I meant 2019. Heaven Hill has been killing it the last couple of years with the Elijah Craig Barrel Proofs and Henry McKenna BiB. The C919 is no longer the current release as A120 is out now. I haven't acquired it yet but have heard very good things about it. I enjoy these EC barrel proofs much more than the coveted Elijah Craig 18 yr.

• Like 1