I'm drinking bourbon- AMA

Deang

@rockhound came by yesterday and we had a little bourbon.  Started with 1910, then a store pick Buffalo trace, Bookers then Amador.  I think the surprise for him was the Buffalo trace.  Neither him nor I are big Buffalo Trace fans but this store pick was exceptional.  He also thought the Bookers was 80 or 90 proof by the way it drank and was amazed that it was 128.   He took 3 bottles of Colonel E H Taylor with him so he should be OK for a while.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I think the surprise for him was the Buffalo trace.  Neither him nor I are big Buffalo Trace fans but this store pick was exceptional.   He took 3 bottles of Colonel E H Taylor with him so he should be OK for a while.

Did you know that Buffalo Trace and the EH Taylor (along with GTS and others) are all the same mash bIll? All of those are Buffalo Trace mash bill #1. Even the "white dog" is the same. The obvious differences are barrel toasting, warehouse location, and length of time in the barrel. I have yet to try a Buffalo Trace produced product that I don't like. I prefer BT mash bill #2 products- Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, Rockhill Farms. Just for giggles try Benchmark 8 sometime. It is the bottom shelf offering of BT mash bill #1. It's usually around $10. I have that and Ancient Age (bottom shelf mash bill #2) at home just to compare with their big brothers, when I have friends over for tastings.

Jeremy

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Already told Carl and Jerry about this one.  It's moved up to a top pick for me.  I believe it was about $50 and it was limited to 1 bottle per customer, which figures and now they have none.

McKenna Bourbon.jpg

I got a bottle of this recently as the owner had it in the back.  Pop the cork Dec 6 at Mom's Christmas Party.

16 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I'll be curious about your opinion.  I tried some of the Jeffereson and honestly, couldn't wait until it was gone.  I'm searching around for more of the McKenna until I can get my hands on more E.H. Taylor.  

Not a fan of Jeffersons either.

Also not a fan of Jefferson's. The only one I've had I cared for was the Presidential Reserve. That McKenna 10 yr on the other hand is terrific! Hard to get around here. As for E.H. Taylor, I'm trying to find their Amaranth Grain of the Gods version. No luck yet locally and not willing to pay secondary market prices without tasting it 1st. 

On 11/5/2019 at 8:05 PM, JohnJ said:

Numbnuts at my abc store here (state manages liquor sales here) tell me there's a problem getting my Four Roses. Didn't care for the Jeffersons very well though it did the trick and was kinda interesting. They just got the small batch back in stock but none of the Good Single Barrel I like sippin'.

hmmm...

City-limits just about straddle the state line now so found it on the computer south of the border, I counted 16 of them on the shelf!

Ha.

Binny's has 4Roses for $45/bottle

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

I'll be curious about your opinion.  I tried some of the Jeffereson and honestly, couldn't wait until it was gone.  I'm searching around for more of the McKenna until I can get my hands on more E.H. Taylor.  

There seems to be only one store locally to me that will get any of the "good stuff" like the McKenna, Taylor, etc.  And unfortunately, they keep it for their high end customers.....pain in the azz.

28 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

There seems to be only one store locally to me that will get any of the "good stuff" like the McKenna, Taylor, etc.  And unfortunately, they keep it for their high end customers.....pain in the azz.

Jim,

Is there a Binny's by you? Check them out online.

So if anyone wants something from Binny's PM me a list, PP the money and I will pick it up. I can take it to Hope in March or if you want it sooner I can send it out FedEx.

Mark

35 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Jim,

Is there a Binny's by you? Check them out online.

So if anyone wants something from Binny's PM me a list, PP the money and I will pick it up. I can take it to Hope in March or if you want it sooner I can send it out FedEx.

Mark

Nope, no Binny's.  I think they are only Illinois.  We have the dreaded 3 tier liquor mafia here, where everything has to go through a distributor.  Having worked in a high end wine/liquor shop for over 10 years when I lived in Indy, I know the dubious relationships that some distributors form with specific retailers.  Indiana liquor prices are some of the lowest in the nation.