Jubes in Da Houze!

Delicious2

28 minutes ago, dtel said:

Congratulations looks good.

Never seen the 402's positioned like that before, that's different.

It is a configuration which @Chris A recommended in a previous thread to bring the upper registers closer to ear height. According to Chris, the overhanging 402's do not interfere with bass delivery due to the longer wavelength of the lower frequencies. ( As long as certain parameters are complied with)

About halfway down the second page are comments with his rationale and some pix.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the getting the Jubilees set up. I also have the K-402's lower than most folks and find they sound better at that height - there is a more "immediate" sound. I assume this is the result of the ceiling bounce being attenuated as well as simply being at ear height.  

Enjoy them and good luck,

-Tom

• Like 2

Looking at your first picture, looks like the wall in the hallway behind the speaker is suffering from chicken pox or measles.....  that's ok....  it will go beautifully with the mumps on the 402's!!  They'll feel right at home.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Schu said:

Look like Behemoths... in that room.

6 hours ago, Coytee said:

That's awesome!!!  (no push-back from anyone saying they're too large/ugly??)

What's your initial gut reaction as to how these sound compared to the modded Khorns??

Thanks folks!  Yes, they dominate, but I live alone so no one to push-back.  Initial gut reaction?  They have more guts 😁.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, babadono said:

You're talking about the bass bins, right. The Jubes are just such an improvement over the mighty Ks IMHO.

I did not realize md5150's Jubes had the TADs, excellent score!

Yes, bass bins. Mike's Jubes came with the stock K691 drivers. I already had the TADs.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Delicious2 said:

Currently running off the same Xilica biamped settings the modded Khorns used.  VTL TT25 monoblocks on bass and FirstWatt SIT2 on treble with TAD 4002 drivers.  I'll see if I can get ChrisA to help me dial these in with a Umic, REW and XConsole.

How do you feel about the Sit 2? That is the direction I am wanting to go for the k402s. I’d love to hear a detailed explanation of how it sounds compared to other things you’ve tried. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AHall said:

How do you feel about the Sit 2? That is the direction I am wanting to go for the k402s. I’d love to hear a detailed explanation of how it sounds compared to other things you’ve tried. 

I like it in this role because it does no wrong - primarily because it's very quiet.  In a biamped system like this gain of the bass amp relative to the gain of the treble amp is important to match.  I admit I haven't gotten technical enough about this i.e I haven't learned how to measure the actual output voltage of my amps for better gain matching.  This combination of VTL tubes on the bass and SIT-2 above happen to be in the ballpark with each other.  I swept them in REW and let ChrisA tell me if my gains were off.  We dialed them in with the Xilica for EQ, phase, and gain.

Now, how will another amp step into this role on the TADs/K402?  I'll find out very soon with a pair of Welborne Labs Laurel IIs rebuilt/refurbished by Erik2A3.  They should arrive tomorrow.  I will also try the Laurels vs. other amps full range with my Khorns and a pair of Quad ESLs I keep stored in the bedroom just for fun. 

I may have to get out the multimeter and try some measuring again 'cause as Mike D recently pointed out different amps can sound different especially in active multiamped systems not only because of total gain differences but because of "gain tracking" differences.

More to come...

• Like 1