Back Home with the LaScala III's

texas42

Well, after many years of wandering in the audiophile wilderness trying over 100 other speakers in my main system (Revel Salons, Magnepan 3.7i's, ATCs, Thiels, etc, etc...) I finally decided to come back home to Klipsch as I've owned more Klipsch speakers than anything else (3 pairs of Khorns, 6 pairs of Chorus, 5 Pair of Cornwalls, etc, etc..).

I had almost forgotten what attracted to me the sound of a horn speaker; immediacy and dynamics.   I ordered and received my new pair of LaScals IIIs (AKA AL-5's) over the weekend and just got them set up (see pics).  I'm currently using some vintage Pioneer Elite gear (M-91, C-91, etc) and it sounds incredible!  Nothing reproduces a jazz horn like a horn speaker!

Now I think I'd like to match up the LaScalas with some Tube gear or maybe a warmer sound SS amp.  I do have a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated in another system which might be the perfect match for them but haven't tried it yet.  Any suggestions from those who have this speaker?  (McIntosh, NOSValves, etc)?  Obviously I'd want something with a very low noise floor as I don't want any buzzing or hissing.   Appreciate any suggestions.

LaScala.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on your new La Scala AL5.. 👍🙂

I’m currently running the McIntosh MHA100 Headphone Amplifiers on my La Scala AL5 and Jubilees and very happy with the combinations. Dead quiet and excellent sound with plenty of power headroom with these systems. 

miketn

C1DA9432-6F26-4A6B-B185-F5DCB86BED0A.thumb.jpeg.f0e739dd09becee644cfd58277062360.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get why they changed the designation on these, but Klipsch can pretty much do what they want. There must be a lot of people showing up with disposable income. I'm glad they see the value in Klipsch high end products.

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

I don't get why they changed the designation on these, but Klipsch can pretty much do what they want. There must be a lost of people showing up with disposable income. I'm glad they see the value in Klipsch high end products.

new crossover design and new mylar film tweeter as I understand it....

Back when you were young there were lots of bad Mylar tweeters and also some fine ones such as the Coles 4001 which is still in production today and a lovely super tweeter. There were terrible Mylar tweeter diaphragms used by Klipsch in the Legend series for example, those awful black shiny poly units used in the K79 tweeters and elsewhere. Just because a lot of bad diaphragms were made out of Mylar does not make Mylar bad or bad for making tweeters. There were a  lot of ordinary sounding capacitors made out of Mylar but a well wound Mylar and foil cap sound excellent to me with a really bold ballsy bass quality similar in tonal quality to a 6V6 pentode amp. There are some very spendy boutique Mylar caps on the market. Lets not dump on DuPont just because Phillips and others made a lot of poor sounding speakers with Mylar diaphragms. Remember also that just because a diaphragm is transparent does not mean it is Mylar either.

Brought to you by the "Lets all learn to like Mylar Society"

14 hours ago, Docreid said:

new crossover design and new mylar film tweeter as I understand it....

Sure, but they never called one an AL, or AA. Isn't it a La Scala? YES! My point being, they never named a speaker according to its crossover. Just seems a bit weird to me.

BTW, they are beautiful speakers and I am sure they are amazing.