La Scala Build

Cellular676

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place for this.  I just completed a pair of La Scalas from the plans provided on this website.  A sincere thanks to everyone who made this possible, including Dave Harris for his amazing Eliptracs.  Although I am not completely satisfied with the finish I chose, the La Scalas do sound AMAZING, and that is what counts.  For those interested in the particulars:

Eliptrac 400 and Eliptract HF - I modified the motorboard and the sides 5" to accomodate the Eliptrac 400. The openings in the motorboards were cut with a CNC router for exact fits.  I left the horns natural MDF and then stained them.  I deliberately left traces of the rings in the Eliptract 400 as I like the look.  The construction is all 3/4" Baltic Birch.  I may go back and include the braces if the resonance issue I have read about becomes a problem.

The drives and crossovers are all Bob Crites.  Tweeter is the CT 120.  Mid-range is the A-55G.  Woofer is the CW 1526 (Stamped frame).  The crossover is the AL3.

I am presently using an Yamaha RX A3070 with the pre-outs for the La Scalas routed through a completely restored and refurbished Phase Linear 400 Series Two.  The system has to do double duty between an Audio/Video system and a stereo.

Anyway, thanks again! 

..2019082.thumb.jpg.f8f656cadf62600599826ba674cd9ebc.jpg 

• Like 3

I will post some additional pictures. The finish is Dark Walnut oil stain by Watco. Probably would not use it again. The Eliptracs are MDF and absorbed stain differently than the Birch. My family room is big with 9 foot ceilings. They are 39 1/2 " tall. I am working on the reflex bass bins for them.

Yeah, not happy with the stain. Thought I had researched everything about building these but must have missed posts on not staining Baltic Birch. Maybe re-do them next year. Just finished the bass reflex bins. Did 7" tubes. Noticeable difference. Probably cannot call them La Scalas, just didn't know what to call the to post to the forum.

@Emile They do sound great....effortless with minimal power.  But, of course, lack in low end that was so great in the CF-3's I had.  I just replaced 8 capacitors in a 12 year old Sunfire sub I have had (from when I was a rep) that had a constant buzz to it.  I'd emailed Bob Carver and he told me which ones were probably the issue.  Once replaced, no buzz and I have the sub tied in and crossed over around 60Hz to augment the low stuff and now I can "tolerate" them more for the majority of the music I listen to.  Might do a horn sub one day but for now...

• Haha 1