50’s Karlson - mahogany

ben.

• 6 months later...

In the late '50s and early '60s I had a Karlson my dad built for me with a JBL D130 (15") in it, and a friend had one with a University 6201 (12") in it.  In both cases there was a nice bass punch, and they both liked a 4 to 8 dB boost in the bass, with no apparent increase in distortion, due to them having some front and rear horn loading (??).

6 hours ago, ben. said:

They are the K15, loaded w 12s.  Yes, the driver is angled upward.

IMG_3451.jpg

Do the upper and lower chambers communicate with each other?  From the photo it’s unclear whether the central horizontal board is just a brace or a full shelf.  Do you have, or could you please draw, a cross section view?

The “Mini Karlsonators” I was inspired by a diyaudio forum thread to build look like this on the inside.  I’m curious about yours.

CE4FF63C-6DD6-4453-9012-E0E60DF2BECD.jpeg.ba3b6d22fae1712e42f691c91cbecea0.jpeg

4A67BEDE-CD4A-4B75-89BB-3786CAEDD8F5.jpeg.53ac4c62270107cb46b3647df5fc4f0b.jpeg

928ADC20-D80E-49D4-B0F5-357236D2265D.png

I believe this was the "standard" one, if there was one.  It'll be interesting to see if there was a variation.

My Dad built a Karlson Enclosure : diyaudioKarlson Cabinet - diyAudioKarlson - Page 10 - diyAudio

Man, there were people who complained that it was not flat, but it seemed better, punchier, and more exciting than JBL's C34 "Scoop" with identical speakers. 

• Thanks 1