Slightly Muddy Top end out of one Horn

Max D

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Max D said:

No they dont but im also borrowing from a pal so Id be reluctant to do the surgery. 

If your changing out the whole tweeter it's very simple, not even close to surgery. You can do that easily. 

Diaphragm replacement are closer to surgery.

2 hours ago, Max D said:

Wow its amazing how swift you guys are,  Like Klipschorn paramedics!  Thanks. So hear your advice about the upgrades from crites to stop it happening again but for the sake of speed and for this one off party would these work in theory? ( I know they are not ideal but the only chance i have for repair by saturday it seems) 

https://www.amazon.com/Diaphragm-ST350-T350-Klipsch-K-77/dp/B00CT9QBPI

I also have some heresys as a back up to compensate but would obviously want the horns singing properly if possible. 

Cheers

Max

A word of caution on the aftermarket diaphragms for the K77. This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. You want to do a search and pay close attention to what Bob Crites (BEC) wrote. 

1 minute ago, PrestonTom said:

A word of caution on the aftermarket diaphragms for the K77. This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. You want to do a search and pay close attention to Bob Crites (BEC) wrote. 

I was sitting here trying to compose what I want to convey to the OP when you posted.  Bob will say many replacements are not up to snuff. But hey in a pinch(or panic) to do sound at a party those replacements will make more sound than the blown one(I would hope). Question is can you really get it delivered before the weekend and installed?

5 hours ago, babadono said:

I was sitting here trying to compose what I want to convey to the OP when you posted.  Bob will say many replacements are not up to snuff. But hey in a pinch(or panic) to do sound at a party those replacements will make more sound than the blown one(I would hope). Question is can you really get it delivered before the weekend and installed?

An aftermarket diaphragm of any sort will make more sound .... I agree. 

However, if these are being used for a party and they were simply run as a two-way, how many people would even notice? That is the sad truth. Besides what people are captured by when they listen to Klipschorns is partly the bass, but mostly the life like dynamics. That will still be fairly well captured even without the tweeter. If these guys are blowing tweeters, then the levels are probably insane anyhow.

All good points. I guess only the OP can answer if others will/do notice the blown tweeter. He certainly did in a non party situation. Which brings up a quandry from me, I wonder how he sets the Ks up at a party? Do you suppose he takes along false corners? Or makes sure the venue has good corners? Or just hook up and let'em blow?

2 hours ago, Max D said:

would these work in theory?

If you are lucky they will work, but many "aftermarket" diaphragms are of poor quality.  Suggest you call Crites and spend an extra $30 (?) to have him send it overnight :D 

3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Thanks for all the input! I've called up crites and getting them shipped as we speak. Thanks for the input. For the party ( for those interested) we're using 2 Mcintosh 2100 amps monoblocked to 2 la scalas raised at the back and two k-korns backing into the buildings corners at the front + an E+S rotary mixer + nagoaka needles. My suspicion is that some harsh EQINg from the rotary may have topped out the tweeter but open to suggestions of how else this is likely to happen to avoid in the future. We will probably for this one also daisy chain the heresys in between them for the first time. Some audio heads have also suggested that the amp (s) might not be up to it if the khorns have the room for a 300watts per channel amp. But always opened to suggestions for improvements for party sounds from the klipschorn party vets. cheers

Also not to use this forum for promotion more sharing... but If anyones in the long Island area the party is in sounthold on saturday and the forum's more that welcome. spiritual jazz, reggae, soul, disco vibe. gardenpartybk@gmail for the location. Cheers Max