Cornwall III vs La Scala II for rap/hip-hop music??

Falcar

3 minutes ago, Falcar said:

However, compared to home audio speakers, pro audio speakers are known for having a lot more distortion, issues with dispersion, and issues with clarity

That would, of course depend on the pro speakers. La Scalas are approx. 104db @ 1 watt... blah, blah, I have a pair of older one and love them.  I use 3.5 watt tube amps on them. Some use higher power solid state.

If you were to look at the Klipsch Jubilee, it is a folded horn with two 12 inch woofers. PWK and Roy Delgade designed it to be the Klipschorn replacement, but corporate didn't really go for it. So it is used in theaters across the US and elsewhere. Clean and efficient, but looks to hate in its original form... flat black to go behind movie screens.

Modern pro gear is supposed to sound good. I believe that the Klipsch pro gear does, and does it in spades.

Don't let folks chase you off. My first comment stands... the LS would give you tight, clean bass. I love La Scalas. New ones are just not in reach for me financially. The old ones work just fine.

Perhaps you might want to look into a cornscala from Crites as a consideration in addition. Probably also quite unhelpful to you, but figured I would mention. He can finish and test then for you. Best of both worlds for a lot less coin than either in current consideration as pro speakers are garbage and you don't want to buy used 

I currently have LaScala IIs running with a JTR Captivator 1400. Rap/Hip Hop sounds awesome on this combo, the sub literally makes my windows flex. I have had Cornwall IIIs but never used them with a sub. I liked them but they were always used at low volume no matter the music due to living in a condo at the time. You will be satisfied with LaScalas if that's the route you choose. They are also more visually appealing than Cornwalls in my opinion. If you are near Phoenix you are welcome to come hear them yourself.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Falcar said:

Just like Class D amps (considered pro audio) are known for having a lot more distortion than Class A/B amps (considered home audio). 

I don't have a lot of experience using different amps with my LaScala's but I have really enjoyed the Class D powered receivers and integrated amps I have used on them. Panasonic SA-XR700, Pioneer SC-81, NAD 390DD. Everything has been very quiet for me. I do use RGPC power conditioners which may or may not help.....they don't seem to hurt.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, finallygotmyheresies said:

I don't have a lot of experience using different amps with my LaScala's but I have really enjoyed the Class D powered receivers and integrated amps I have used on them. Panasonic SA-XR700, Pioneer SC-81, NAD 390DD. Everything has been very quiet for me. I do use RGPC power conditioners which may or may not help.....they don't seem to hurt.

Wyred 4 Sound amps I have used to power my mains sound fantastic and offer tremendous bang for the buck used.  Crown k2 on the sub is also class D and has amazing control on how tight and how much slam can be obtained from a smallish 21" ported enclosure.  Don't rule them out because of what your preconceived notions are of class D amps and pro speaker in general.   

16 minutes ago, finallygotmyheresies said:

I have the feeling amp quietness is a very subjective thing. For example, my Monoprice Monolith 5 (made by ATI) Class A/B amp is literally 5 monoblocks put in a case and sold as one big amp. It weighs about 80 pounds. It has a completely silent background, no noise of any kind whatsoever. But that's the reason people (like myself) are willing to deal with such a big amp that takes up more room and needs a reinforced shelf to support it. It's THD level is way lower than a Crown 1502 Class D amp for example. I'm sure the Crown 1502 is a relatively quiet amp, but I highly doubt it holds a candle to my Monolith 5. Also, my Monolith 5 has a thump-free start and that's something a Class D amp is very unlikely to have.

Edited by Falcar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Falcar said:

Also, my Monolith 5 has a thump-free start and that's something a Class D amp is very unlikely to have.

Quite Untrue. You are comparing bad apples to premium oranges.   Compare your monolith amp to something of the same calibre wyred 4 Sound, PS Audio, hypex, PS Audio, Peachtree audio, cherry audio as a few examples... 

1 minute ago, Falcar said:

I have the feeling amp quietness is a very subjective thing. For example, my Monoprice Monolith 5 (made by ATI) Class A/B amp is literally 5 monoblocks put in a case and sold as one big amp. It weighs about 80 pounds. It has a completely silent background, no noise of any kind whatsoever. But that's the reason people (like myself) are willing to deal with such a big amp that takes up more room and needs a reinforced shelf to support it. It's THD level is way lower than a Crown 1502 amp Class D amp for example. I'm sure the Crown 1502 is a relatively quiet amp, but I highly doubt it holds a candle to my Monolith 5. Also, my Monolith 5 has a thump-free start and that's something a Class D amp is very unlikely to have.

I'm not advocating Class D over A/B, that's just the setup I have now and have had recently. I do own an ATI amp that I am waiting to install into my small HT which is still in progress. I've owned an Outlaw Audio 7700 (also made by ATI) which I used on Forte 2s. It sounded great but I sold that when I bought a house which I didn't think could support a HT. 4+ years later and I am making a HT room :) . The HT will be 4 RB-75s and a RC-7 along with 2 Captivator 1400s. Should be up and running by late Oct.

I think you will be very happy using the Monolith on LaScalas as well.

• Like 1

The caveat on the ATI amp I will be using is that it is a 6012. I will be bi-amping and bi-wiring all 5 channels. I wanted a 5 or 7 channel amp with 200 wpc but I couldn't pass on this amp that I found locally. It was left over from a new home build that when south and is still new in box. Knowing ATI's reputation and my experience with the Outlaw I felt it's worth a shot.

2 hours ago, Falcar said:

Okay, no offense, but why am I getting recommendations for Kilpsch Pro Audio?? I just wanted to keep this to the Heritage series. My Cornwalls are PLENTY powerful. I just thought maybe LaScalas offer a slighty higher sound quality at the expense of being bass-shy (which could possibly be remedied with more powerful subwoofers).

This is of course, my opinion only however, I'd presume others would agree with me.

In the world of Klipsch, the sound gets better as you go bigger.  Yes, it will also go more loud, but aside from that, the sound will be "bigger" even at the same level you might listen to.  Also, you are paying for performance instead of looks.  Your Cornwalls are plenty powerful enough....fine.  Next to a Jubilee, they will sound like cheap toy speakers.....  and.....the Jubilee, next to the MWM setup....will sound like a cheap toy speaker. So it's all relative to some degree.

(I feel fine saying this as I own LaScalas, Jubilee and have had the MWM's....  I've never had the Cornwalls but being the smallest of the bunch, feel the logic would still hold true)

So, if you like BIG and effortless sound, not necessarily LOUD sound, then the larger you go, the better....hence the comments.

It's been a slow process getting people here interested in the pro stuff.  There were a few nut-cases early on but now there is an increasing number of them (nut-cases that is), some of which have commented already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Coytee said:

This is of course, my opinion only however, I'd presume others would agree with me.

In the world of Klipsch, the sound gets better as you go bigger.  Yes, it will also go more loud, but aside from that, the sound will be "bigger" even at the same level you might listen to.  Also, you are paying for performance instead of looks.  Your Cornwalls are plenty powerful enough....fine.  Next to a Jubilee, they will sound like cheap toy speakers.....  and.....the Jubilee, next to the MWM setup....will sound like a cheap toy speaker. So it's all relative to some degree.

(I feel fine saying this as I own LaScalas, Jubilee and have had the MWM's....  I've never had the Cornwalls but being the smallest of the bunch, feel the logic would still hold true)

So, if you like BIG and effortless sound, not necessarily LOUD sound, then the larger you go, the better....hence the comments.

It's been a slow process getting people here interested in the pro stuff.  There were a few nut-cases early on but now there is an increasing number of them (nut-cases that is), some of which have commented already.

Just like I am not interested in Class D amps, I am not interested in pro audio speakers. I tend to be old school in my thought processes, and if the notion has always been that pro audio is too distorted-sounding for home use, then I am going to stick with that train of thought. People can claim whatever they want online, but there are certain understandings in the audio industry, and one of them is: It is not advised to use pro audio gear at home (other than XLR cables obviously).

Anyways, I appreciate the suggestions of Klipschorns and La Scalas. I might demo both at a store someday and see how they compare to my Cornwalls. I have always heard that Cornwalls are quite comparable to La Scalas, but I've also heard Klipschhorns are the ultimate for home use (if you can afford them).

Edited by Falcar

29 minutes ago, Falcar said:

Anyways, I appreciate the suggestions of Klipschorns and La Scalas. I might demo both at a store someday and see how they compare to my Cornwalls. I have always heard that Cornwalls are quite comparable to La Scalas, but I've also heard Klipschhorns are the ultimate for home use (if you can afford them).

Having owned all of these, I will tell you that Cornwalls don't even come close to La Scalas or Khorns.  Simply different animals in configuration.  Again, I would highly suggest looking for used La Scalas/Khorns.  New units are quite pricey.  Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Having owned all of these, I will tell you that Cornwalls don't even come close to La Scalas or Khorns.  Simply different animals in configuration.  Again, I would highly suggest looking for used La Scalas/Khorns.  New units are quite pricey.  Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

And here I thought you read that you were going to jubes soon.... 

35 minutes ago, Falcar said:

I tend to be old school in my thought processes, and if the notion has always been that pro audio is too distorted-sounding for home use, then I am going to stick with that train of thought. People can claim whatever they want online, but there are certain understandings in the audio industry, and one of them is: It is not advised to use pro audio gear at home

There's really a lot wrong with all of that.  That being said, Lascalas are very nice.  Find a pair and enjoy.  You'll probably want a sub to go with them.

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

I've heard the opposite too, that La Scalas sound thin compared to Cornwalls. But I've always heard Klipschorns sound the best. This is all very interesting.

I only buy new when it comes to audio equipment.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

There's really a lot wrong with all of that.  That being said, Lascalas are very nice.  Find a pair and enjoy.  You'll probably want a sub to go with them.

You mean everything he states in incorrect and would benefit highly from being enlightened?  I completely agree.  No offense, but the guy has clearly never heard modern hifI class D or likely any klipsch Pro model. Bet you would change your mind in one song, maybe two at the most if you heard both in a proper system.   I used to work in a hip hop and R&B studio in LA, one of the biggest.   Guess what they are using for reference playback?   Oh yeah, large scale horns, bryston amps and jbl 18" subs.   I can tell you, it was AMAZING in SQ and obviously you couldn't even touch the SPL level it was capable of.... No offense (I listen to a fair amount of electronic music), but rap and hip hop is highly compressed, highly eq'd, lots of automation and the list goes on.... I stick with my initial suggestion I made to you regardless of your opinion of inferitory without having ever experienced. I'll second use khorns if you have the right room, if not, from your short list, go LA scalas.   No comparison with Cornwalls, none. 

39 minutes ago, Falcar said:

I tend to be old school in my thought processes, and if the notion has always been that pro audio is too distorted-sounding for home use, then I am going to stick with that train of thought. People can claim whatever they want online, but there are certain understandings in the audio industry, and one of them is: It is not advised to use pro audio gear at home (other than XLR cables obviously).

It's one thing to be old school, quite another to be closed minded.

Like Carl said, there's a lot wrong in your comments....  but hey, this is the internet and for all you know, I might be pals with Bill Clinton & Jeffrey Epstein...  (did anyone see the painting of Clinton in the blue dress that someone painted & Epstein bought & hung??)

Your comment suggests you've never heard the aforementioned speakers and that's fine, no crime in that.  All I'll urge you to do is keep your mind open.  You don't want to do what some of these nut-cases have done....  and gone years with their residential speakers (think Cornwall) to finally, 20 years later, hear some of the larger selections (think pro) and smack themselves on the forehead as they finally get it now that they've actually heard it.

Cornwalls are great but even in the world of Heritage, they come in third.