Cornwall III vs La Scala II for rap/hip-hop music??

Falcar

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:
39 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Ah, what do you no? 

Mark

He might know how to spell......

I know I will never be in that, maby as the subject. :huh:

Yes I do see that spell checker thing light up words, they must be signaling someone else who cares or tries ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Ah yes, another Quasi-Religious Follower of the Stereophile Myths, untruths, and exaggerations. Lord help us all. Direct radiators create distortion 10X greater than horns. Easily heard by anyone not too busy "lifting veils" from the front of female vocalists in the DAC of the Month club, which is, by the way how 99% of them are RECORDED (pop filters anyone?). Never argue with a fool.

That's for sure. I have been following some threads at Audiogon and it is amazing the nonsense many of those guys who have never heard a good horn system  have to say about things they apparently have not heard.  Not saying the OP is guilty of that just observing the penchant to repeat things with no basis in reality until they become gospel for those who don't really have experience to know better. Some absurd things just have more lives than a cat.

I think some of the Heritage speakers are very nice and for the most better than the competition at similar prices. For me though it is Klipsch pro that is the real stellar heaveyweight.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:
59 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

That’s funny!!!!

Ah, what do you no? 

Mark

I will say he knows alot, just depends on what were talking about. :lol: Sometimes I wonder, he says things I just can't understand, and for good reason, he needs to break it down to one cylinder at times. I didn't make that up, I stole it. 

• Haha 1

Speaking for myself however, others might agree (or not) but the OP is certainly free to purchase as he may....  all I was trying to do was take his absolutes and try to educate him that there might be another truth there.

If he wants "loud", he can certainly get that with his Cornwalls and have mighty fine (and loud) sound....  If instead, he'd be intrigued with his sound scaling up to what I call "the scale of life" then some other ideas might be better for him.

Heck, I even stayed away from talking about the Jubilee's other than how they might sound like toy speakers when up against the MWM's.

If someone has size constraints, I get it and understand.  If however, they are contemplating Khorns or LaScalas, their size constraints aren't as stringent as some other folks might be....  so along THOSE lines, he insists he "only buy's new" which personally, I applaude as only new purchases keep the factory rolling things out.

So he's stating he's willing to consider something like the LaScala/Khorn which is what, TWICE (??) the price of the much better sounding Jubilee??

The good news is, he will evidently never know what we're speaking of so he can live in bliss and be happy as a bug in a rug.

• Like 2

Yes; OP can and will do whatever he likes.  Just was a bit disappointed by some of his responses ... for example, "why are you trying to talk me into Pro speakers ... are they 5 times more expensive" ... this was after a poster told them they were "cheaper." :D  Does he think we get a commission on Pro speaker sales here? :D  Also, OP seems to be "closed-minded" about suggestions made in this thread. :(  Oh well; we have tried to welcome him and give our opinions ... guess certain "newbies" just do not appreciate it :( 

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

If I were the OP,  I would be very disappointed and disturbed by  most of the  content of this thread 

+1. Isn't the intent of the forum to bring someone into the "Klipsch family". Maybe all the pro advocates should explain why pro is better in the technical sense instead of attacking. I give OP credit for coming back even after the abuse. If the forum is somewhat representative of the company, I would take my money elsewhere. 

I couple of us told him that he would probably love the La Scalas, even if a little light one the bass.

And I can understand if he wouldn't want those big ugly horns...

20190814_213038.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

I will say he knows alot, just depends on what were talking about. :lol: Sometimes I wonder, he says things I just can't understand, and for good reason, he needs to break it down to one cylinder at times. I didn't make that up, I stole it. 

Rumor has it he can fish a little bit too! I wouldn't try and talk speakers with Roy, my knowledge is I know when I hear something I like.

Mark

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Yes; OP can and will do whatever he likes.  Just was a bit disappointed by some of his responses ... for example, "why are you trying to talk me into Pro speakers ... are they 5 times more expensive" ... this was after a poster told them they were "cheaper." :D  Does he think we get a commission on Pro speaker sales here? :D  Also, OP seems to be "closed-minded" about suggestions made in this thread. :(  Oh well; we have tried to welcome him and give our opinions ... guess certain "newbies" just do not appreciate it :( 

You've been here under 2 years and you call him a newbie? And tell him he's closed minded after he said he doesn't want PRO? Who are you to tell anyone they need to listen to anything? Maybe a lot of folks should have left it alone when he said he wanted Heritage NEW and welcomed him instead of hammering away

Mark

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Falcar said:

Okay, no offense, but why am I getting recommendations for Kilpsch Pro Audio?? I just wanted to keep this to the Heritage series. My Cornwalls are PLENTY powerful. I just thought maybe LaScalas offer a slighty higher sound quality at the expense of being bass-shy (which could possibly be remedied with more powerful subwoofers).

I appreciate the responses so far, but is this how it works on this forum (i.e. you mention Heritage series and start getting directed towards pro audio)??

How it works is like every where else in life, you ask for an opinion and everyone will have at least 2 to give you.  One of which is in an effort to reassure thenselves they bought the right speakers, car, motorcycle, turntable, cable, etc.

I'm trying to remember who is a hip-hop/tap fan on here that has owned both.  My recollection is they tended to prefer direct radiators for bass.  One forum member is a huge funk fan, he has owned everything pro and heritage Klipsch,  and he has always come back to expressing a preference for direct radiator bass.  He has indicated he thinks it is because that's what he grew up on and so just formed a preference to that kind of bass.

Paul Klipsch used to tell people he was.going to recalibrate his ears by going to a live symphony.  To him it was always a matter of getting as close and faithful to the original performance.  I don't know how that is going to equate with hip-hop.

The other issue is Klipsch just did a major update to the La Scala (AL-5) and so most/many will have never heard those.  I have, with properly tuned subs and tube amps and they sounded significantly better than my 90s era LS, but it was jazz and rock obviously selected for low end, and to show off new high end capabilities of the Tractrix tweeter.

I ran my LS with tubes and SS (McIntosh) and they sounded great with the right SS amp.

I sold my LS when I had the house for Khorns, kept my Cornwalls.  I would never sell my CW's.  Some days I'm just in the mood for Cornwalls.  

A Klipsch dealer recently mentioned that he purchased the last pair of Cornwall III's off the line to donate to the Klipsh Museum, so my unofficial speculation is you will see a new version of the CW soon.  If that's the case, everyone is going to be in the same boat, no idea until they actually hear them.

The engineer for these new versions has been Chief Bonehead, but he is a drummer and tends to like power metal stuff.  

@Marvel and some of the other technical folks could tell you, putting aside type of music and direct radiator bass, which speaker, on average, will work beat with a particular type of amp and topology.  As I recall, one of those speakers has been discussed as being a better match for SS vs. the other.  But that involves understanding phase, impatience curves, etc which I know nothing about.

@Youthman is a youth minister so he may have listened to some rap/hh and he is constantly rating subs with his LS home theater systen along with Reference  products.  He may have some good insight for you.  I taghed him so he may see this.

Where are you located, there may be a certified Heritage dealer close to you where you can listen for yourself.

Travis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Falcar said:

If that's the case, why would anyone buy the Heritage series then? And why would the Cornwall, La Scala, etc even exist?

Is Klipsch Pro Audio like 5 times the price or something? Is that why?

No they are less, all things being equal, because no fancy wrapper.  You can get them in any color as long as it is black, handles are an option and you either really need to know what you are doing, OR, go through a knowledgeable dealer/installer who can help guide you through the morass.  I think I saw a someone who posted in here earlier that is familar with hip hop rap and is a dealer.

@Falcar   I've never been able to own new Klipsch. Been listening to different models since early '80s, though and the La Scalas ha e always been standouts. I've heard some Khorns and tbey were exceptional in their own way.

I own some beat up la scalas I found sitting on a guys front porch. They didn't have any of the correct drivers in them, so over a period of a few years I got them up and going. They are fantastic, even with my 3.5 watt amps. I had sold my very nice '89 LS, so I was happy to get these up and running again.

The big MWM BASS BINS I picked up were from a college where I had worked ... they decided they didn't want to use them.

I applaud you for wanting to buy new... it keeps the company going. I would love to have a new pair of La Scalas. It's just an expense I  can't make at this point in my life.

Bruce

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Dave A said:

I have been following some threads at Audiogon and it is amazing the nonsense many of those guys who have never heard a good horn system  have to say about things they apparently have not heard.  Not saying the OP is guilty of that just observing the penchant to repeat things with no basis in reality until they become gospel for those who don't really have experience to know better. Some absurd things just have more lives than a cat.

It was not all that long ago the Jub could not hardly be talked about here, because of the problems it would cause. And your right, at one point only a few people got to hear them but that did not stop some from having a strong opinion against them. I can understand the type of speaker may not have been there favorite, like horn to direct radiator but to not hear them and be so positive was strange. 

Now some of it could have been they loved their Khorns for a very long time and did not want to hear there was something better ? (it is tough to beat)

From Klipsch there was nothing better for 50-60 years so there's that. :mellow:

• Like 1