Cornwall III vs La Scala II for rap/hip-hop music??

Falcar

3 minutes ago, Md5150 said:

The mid range horn and drivers on the KI-396 are far superior to the Cornwalls. The weight difference is because the Cornwall cabinet is bigger. You want to pay 3x as much for a pretty wrapper then that's your choice but you're trading in sound quality for a better finish.

I find it funny you think pro speakers have higher distortion than speakers made specifically for the home. Cornwalls will distort and sound like they are struggling way before speakers like KP600'S, Jubilee's, and other pro speakers. The KP600's that someone linked to you to consider buying are the best speakers for rap music I've ever heard and destroy Cornwalls so badly they shouldn't even be compaired. 

So you are saying they make the Cornwalls bigger for no reason other than looks? That makes no sense at all considering the Cornwalls are way more expensive to ship too because of larger size and weight. 

The Cornwall is a 3-way speaker too which should have better separation than the KI-396 (which is a 2-way speaker) and the Cornwall goes significantly lower than the KI-396 too. But you are ignoring the virtues of the Cornwall and saying the KI-396 is better no matter what. Seems quite bias to me.

Falcar,

As to your original question, I stand by my vote for the La Scala... plus a sub or 2.

As for where this thread has deviated to, Pro vs Heritage, you should browse through the list on the first post here:

and find a forum member that is near you (hopefully one that you have not alienated) and see if you can invite yourself over for a listen.

I would bet that after hearing a pair of Jubilees, or JubScalas you probably will discard your preconceived notions on Klipsch Pro Gear.

If you still have the same thoughts after hearing in person, so be it, but at least you let your ears make the decision and not what you have read or guessed.

After all, not everybody has the same tastes... that is why there are so many different types of speakers to choose from.

12 minutes ago, Falcar said:

The Cornwall is a 3-way speaker too which should have better separation than the KI-396 (which is a 2-way speaker)

I think this right here shows how inexperienced Falcar might be (and he can't be faulted for being inexperienced)

12 minutes ago, Falcar said:

But you are ignoring the virtues of the Cornwall and saying the KI-396 is better no matter what. Seems quite bias to me.

and this shows his dogma and unwilling to open his mind.

You know what Falcar?  Just speculate on this for 2 seconds....heck, make it just one.

"what if we're right and you're wrong??"

Edited to clarify myself:  I'm actually referring to the coherency of the sound, he might not be so perhaps I should have shut up!  (just ask my wife!!)

11 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

la ass.jpg

I'm sure this speaker is inferior too because it's an audiophile home speaker and not a pro speaker, and probably doesn't require 1200 watts to power it.

That's how it works around here, right guys??

Train horns rock!!!!

Edited by Falcar

He's disingenuous.  (or is harboring a hidden attitude/agenda)  Time to let him move on to new topic (in my opinion)

Perhaps his spirit has been crushed by being a bose owner and he thinks everyone is out to get him?

Just speculating.

2 minutes ago, Falcar said:

I'm sure that speaker is inferior too because it's an audiophile home speaker and not a pro speaker, and probably doesn't require 1200 watts to power it.

Train horns rock!!!!

You will be a lot closer to 1200 watts to power the above nice speakers than you ever will need to power a pair of Klipsch Pro.

I run my Pros with 150 watts on the bass (overkill on my part) and 3.5 watts for my 402.

4 minutes ago, Coytee said:

He's disingenuous.  (or is harboring a hidden attitude/agenda)  Time to let him move on to new topic (in my opinion)

Perhaps his spirit has been crushed by being a bose owner and he thinks everyone is out to get him?

Just speculating.

I have Cornwalls, a Heresy, and two subs. I think putting pro audio stuff into a home is silly for various reasons, hence my snarky remarks. No one is going to talk me into putting pro audio stuff into my house because it's illogical and totally unnecessary and brings up other problems too. It's simply not meant for home use. 

3 minutes ago, Falcar said:

I have Cornwalls, a Heresy, and two subs. I think putting pro audio stuff into a home is silly for various reasons, hence my snarky remarks. No one is going to talk me into putting pro audio stuff into my house because it's illogical and totally unnecessary and brings up other problems too. It's simply not meant for home use. 

You start off so rational and believable....  then your mind zips shut and it turns a bit moronic.

If you like/love what you have, then power to you!!!  Nobody begrudges you that.  You don't want pro stuff in your house for various reasons, power to you.

You just start to sound stupid when you then declare that "it's simply not meant for home use"

Again, I ask you about the Jubilee.

The Jubilee is a ........  'Pro' speaker however, it was originally designed for residential, HOME use...

So, now you have a residential speaker that is good enough to be placed in the cinema lineup.

How do you square that circle?

Oh yeah, it's black

(sigh)

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Falcar said:

The Cornwall is a 3-way speaker too which should have better separation than the KI-396 (which is a 2-way speaker) 

Not really how it works, the less "ways" the better with speakers, it is one reason PWK wanted to make the Jub 2 way instead of 3 way like the Khorn. Everytime you add another driver you add a crossover point which can not be as seamless as that point not being there.

Do you even know the history of the Cornwall, how it died off and was brought back by popular demand, one of the reasons it will stay around. With thinking like this speaker companies should just make their best speakers of different sizes to fit different rooms, no reason to keep something not s good as the best even considering it's history.  

I'm sure that speaker is inferior too because it's an audiophile home speaker and not a pro speaker, and probably doesn't require 1200 watts to power it.

Train horns rock!!!!

If you are so sure of your opinions and anyone with a different opinion is wrong, just go buy whatever fits your beliefs. 

It's apparent no one can even slightly get you to even consider other than your preconceived ideas.

Your right everyone here is just out to fool you, this is why many here have pro speakers and the rest were just told to agree, we all knew you were going to come here one day and ask so we all set our homes up like this as a way to fool you.   It was all a preconceived plan..........does that sound even a little silly?

What does anyone here gain by giving this advice to someone if it were not true ?

I guess when well over a hundred people who get together each year for a few days from all over the country and meet up to listen to different models are all being fooled.

It's simply not meant for home use. 

So no matter the sound it should not be done, got it.

I doubt anyone really cares what you put in your home, these are just opinions from experienced open minded people answering a question you had.

It's everybody's longtime hobby and like any hobby they will tend to direct other to the best they know of, some of which will not fit everybody but when you ask for the best it's what happens.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I think the OP has all the information that he needs to make an informed decision.

Not that it matters.

I am having flashbacks to when this was the argument by some about Jubes, even though most had not heard them. An argument against something not heard or having any knowledge of is kind of weak to say the least. After many more have listened, the opinions sure have changed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Falcar said:

To all the people saying the Klipsch pro speakers are better, how about explaining this to me:

Why is a Cornwall III significantly bigger and heavier than a KI-396 if the KI-396 sounds better? Is Klipsch making the Cornwall bigger and heavier just for fun while purposely neutering it? To me that makes no sense at all. Some people claim the Forte III sounds better than the Cornwall but when I demoed them both, the Cornwall sounded a lot fuller due to its larger size, so why wouldn't it be the same when comparing a Cornwall to a KI-396?

Roy could speak much better to that,.but I think it has to do with coverage pattern, 2 way v. 3 way, polar plots, in a word, Tractrix.  This results in lower distortion and better controlled directivity.  

In any event you now you have the Cornwall IV, which @Chief boneheaddesigned, and the new La Scala AL-5, which he also designed, and the 396, yes he designed that, and his THX Pro (not home) Cinema Certified 684 direct radiator subs, and his 1802 vented sub to compare and hear.

If you want looks and great sound, Cornwall IV or LS with pro sub system hidden behind something,.you want bone jarring clean clear sound  that will knock you pictures off the wall but not as pretty, you are set.  Either way you will piss off your neighbors and you will love what you hear.

I wish I was in your shoes, the possibilites are endless.

The Museum has been donated the last pair of Cornwall III's to come off the line, signed by the people who built them and we will be getting those up for sale soon if your or anyone else is interested.  More information to follow.

Thanks again to @MetropolisLakeOutfitters for the generous donation.