Porsche Does It Again

Gilbert

Tesla Roadster isnt out yet, then we'll see who has bragging rights. It shouldn't be lost on anyone that these are daily drivers/transportation. As such, Porsche is FAR behind Tesla in real world experience w electric vehicles, programming and efficiency, and charger networks. In addition the range isnt close to even the cheapest Tesla.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Gee, now you have to take your car to a mechanic, electrician, and an electronics technician to get it repaired.

JJK

Don't forget the computer technician! OR did you duplicate the electrician.

Interesting video but that car is going pretty slow when I translate from the foreign speed measurements, haven't other cars turned in way faster laps at that famous track?

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Don't forget the computer technician! OR did you duplicate the electrician.

Interesting video but that car is going pretty slow when I translate from the foreign speed measurements, haven't other cars turned in way faster laps at that famous track?

That's what I thought also. I watch a lot of F1 and MotoGP bike racing and it's all in KMPH. I know 300k is 186 mph, and I didn't see that number in the video.

• Like 1

Never studied it, but the turns there aren't like Nascar tracks. My `73 SE Charger did 233 kph a couple of times in `79 when I was 16 and we did not have a half million here that could not read English signs. Can't do 45 mph on the boulevard now `cause of that!

Could you imagine how quiet it would be at a NASCAR race if all the cars were electric?  So much for the TV stations going to the mode where they don't talk and you just get to hear the cars.  I guess they could fly huge electric drones over the track before the race starts instead of the Blue Angels or whoever they use.  That would complete the "quietness".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Could you imagine how quiet it would be at a NASCAR race if all the cars were electric?  So much for the TV stations going to the mode where they don't talk and you just get to hear the cars.  I guess they could fly huge electric drones over the track before the race starts instead of the Blue Angels or whoever they use.  That would complete the "quietness".

It would change the way I've thought about the north side of town here in May and Oct.

Or Daytona in Feb. with the 12 cylinders singing for days on end or June on with the practices.

Just now, JohnJ said:

It would change the way I've thought about the north side of town here in May and Oct.

Or Daytona in Feb. with the 12 cylinders singing for days on end or June on with the practices.

That's the part I miss about when I lived less than 20 minutes from Texas Motor Speedway....the noise!  If I wasn't AT the race that day, I could still at least watch the jets fly overhead as they made their pass.  lol  But man, it was awesome when they told them to start their engines.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, avguytx said:

That's the part I miss about when I lived less than 20 minutes from Texas Motor Speedway....the noise!  If I wasn't AT the race that day, I could still at least watch the jets fly overhead as they made their pass.  lol  But man, it was awesome when they told them to start their engines.

My office is sandwiched between the Lotus dealer and the Ducati dealer.

The aural seduction around here is tough on the wallet but heaven on the ears.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

I've been to the motorcycle races there (as well as pretty much every race they offer).  When you're in the infield and they start the race it sounds like you stuck your head in a bee hive.

• Like 2

Lots of torque, very quick, but short on top. I think it being close to silent made it seem more impressive than it was.  Although, you have to add that it was a four door (kind of) and all electric, 700+ horses and 750+ lbs of torque and it weighs more than a four door F-150. We have really just begun messing with electrics, so in time its what some of us will see racing in the future.

Having said that...

Even though its a record given its power output for a four door, Its still a ho hum time even compared to an old dinosaur with a mere 505 horses.

Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 – 7:22.68

Chevrolet Corvette Z06

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Its not just looks the Porsche will leave that Tesla miles back on a curvy road / track

suspension, suspension, suspension.....   I recently purchased (April 10th) a used Macan Turbo.... and I love it. It's my first porsche, but because of a few wildass friends, I"m not exactly new to the brand. Anywhoooo, the transmission on that Macan is hands down the best I've had in a loooong time, and the torque vectoring option makes that "little bastard" (a la James Dean) a hoot to drive. Lower the chassis to maximum, click sport plus chassis mode and that little bastard is more fun than my 2016 M5 with comp pkg. .The Macan is so much fun and more engaging on the twisty hill country roads, that I've decided the M5 has gotta go; what started out as my work vehicle turned out to be more fun and definitely practical. Gonna give my daughter the old Macan, and order myself another as soon as the GTS's and Turbos are manufactured again.... another year or two at most.

Somewhere off on the very distant horizon, GT3 baby.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Docreid said:

Tesla Roadster isnt out yet, then we'll see who has bragging rights. It shouldn't be lost on anyone that these are daily drivers/transportation. As such, Porsche is FAR behind Tesla in real world experience w electric vehicles, programming and efficiency, and charger networks. In addition the range isnt close to even the cheapest Tesla.

Porsche is ending it LMP program to enter into E-Prix, possibly as soon as next year..... which means they already have a race car.   Tesla OTOH has been bought and sold not less than 2x, and doesn't know how to turn a profit. I'm not knocking Tesla, they've come a loooong way from where they were in the early to mid 90's. But you will not see them competing with or against Porsche.... would be nice, but I just don't see it. They can't afford to, besides, making a car go fast in a straight line is easy, too easy.  Making it stick and stop is equally, if not more enjoyable.

• Like 1

doesnt matter its irrelevant in a real world scenario. I've owned AMG Mercedes, and driven them at Circuit of the Americas and Laguna Seca. While that's a blast, and really demonstrates the amazing capability of the car, it isn't something that makes a huge difference in daily use. Unless you are buying these as toys to only race them, the track capability isnt of much use. In addition track capability doesnt always make for a nice road car-suspension is often stiffer and the vehicle less pleasant to drive in ordinary circumstances. I think its no small coincidence that one can find large numbers of hard edge sports cars-Lambo, Ferrari etc...w/ low miles because as real world transport it aint fun. I ultimately sold my AMG. The hard core models like the SLS gullwing would IMHO be unpleasant daily transport. The Porsche may be better in that regard, but I will bet it will be ridiculously priced w less mileage than a comparable Tesla.

4 hours ago, Docreid said:

doesnt matter its irrelevant in a real world scenario. I've owned AMG Mercedes, and driven them at Circuit of the Americas and Laguna Seca. While that's a blast, and really demonstrates the amazing capability of the car, it isn't something that makes a huge difference in daily use. Unless you are buying these as toys to only race them, the track capability isnt of much use. In addition track capability doesnt always make for a nice road car-suspension is often stiffer and the vehicle less pleasant to drive in ordinary circumstances. I think its no small coincidence that one can find large numbers of hard edge sports cars-Lambo, Ferrari etc...w/ low miles because as real world transport it aint fun. I ultimately sold my AMG. The hard core models like the SLS gullwing would IMHO be unpleasant daily transport. The Porsche may be better in that regard, but I will bet it will be ridiculously priced w less mileage than a comparable Tesla.

Porsches' EPrix is the test bed for future production cars...so yes, it's relevant, significantly so.  Where do you think AMG got to where it is currently, ever watch F1?... I guess I didn't spell that out clear enough, but who cares.....  And wow, you tracked a brick, impressive, and didn't know the 3600+ pound SLS was considered hardcore? Enjoy your more affordable $250,000 Tesla roadster...... when it does eventually make it to the dealerships. By then I might be getting ready to spend on a ridiculously priced $140,000 (before options) toy.

On the subject of suspension greatness..... PASM baby.

Cheers!!

We just turned in on end of lease a Tesla S which was pretty much my wife’s commute car. Pretty fun to drive but not the same as my 04 Boxster S. I couldn’t tell from the video how or if the regenerative braking was in effect. I take the Porsche to the track pretty regularly and enjoy “driving” the car. Trail braking, heel and toe downshifting etc. I haven’t driven the Tesla on the track but driving it on twisty roads I need to disengage the regenerative braking and even then I have a hard time keeping the car balanced and the weight where it needs to be. 

But im pretty old school when it comes to driving. No rev matching or paddle shifting for me. 

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 9:41 PM, Gilbert said:

Porsches' EPrix is the test bed for future production cars...so yes, it's relevant, significantly so.  Where do you think AMG got to where it is currently, ever watch F1?... I guess I didn't spell that out clear enough, but who cares.....  And wow, you tracked a brick, impressive, and didn't know the 3600+ pound SLS was considered hardcore? Enjoy your more affordable $250,000 Tesla roadster...... when it does eventually make it to the dealerships. By then I might be getting ready to spend on a ridiculously priced $140,000 (before options) toy.

On the subject of suspension greatness..... PASM baby.

Cheers!!

Sultan of Snark huh?    sounds pretty dickish to me...dont know why people cant have a discussion without acting like jerks...whatever....cheers