Boxes , Keep 'em ?

Kidd

I guess if a person has an attic or storage area large enough to keep speaker boxes, that's great.  But, if someone lives in an apartment or similar with no storage, I doubt they're going to want to ask their friends if they'll store their big a$$ empty speaker boxes.  lol.  Electronics....sure.  Speakers....depends.

Keep the boxes and if space is a problem knock them down flat, with only 1 seam broken down.  I bought a set of ML from a person on Canada Audio Mart.  He did not have original boxes, because they were water damaged in his garage.  He is a millwright.  He built shipping boxes out of pine.  Not beautiful, but surely the nicest speaker boxes I've ever seen.  Original foam packing etc. and exact measurements of the originals.

The only boxes I got rid of ... big mistake ... after about 30 years, were my Heresy boxes.  Dang I wish I still had them but the Heresy are in my retirement home so I probably don't/won't need them anymore anyhow.

I'd keep the PL box for sure in tact.  Getting a double box original with the interior packing is key if you want to ship it for repairs etc.  I have the original for a parasound A23 I just bought.  It was beat up so I spent an hour one day taking old tape off, peeling cardboard and taping all seams with multiple layers of duct tape.  Mine are stored in my garage up in the "rafters". 

Why bother :)  Got a 15" Klipsch sub a couple of days ago ... box was in the recycling bin the same day :D  Don't think I will ever ship any of my speakers. OK; maybe keep some boxes of your electronic gear ... if you think it may go bad before you "upgrade." :D 

6 minutes ago, Emile said:

Why bother :)  Got a 15" Klipsch sub a couple of days ago ... box was in the recycling bin the same day :D  Don't think I will ever ship any of my speakers. OK; maybe keep some boxes of your electronic gear ... if you think it may go bad before you "upgrade." :D 

Worth more in the box...😎

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Marvel said:

I kept my boxes for my JBL 4211s for over 25 years. Always was nice to pack them up when I moved.

I've got a pair of 4301s in their original boxes.  The woofer surrounds were toast when I repacked them last.  I guess the foam on the tweeter is gone, too, by now...  Hell, maybe even the styrofoam box liners are dimensionally smaller - it's been a good 20 years since I've seen what's inside the boxes.

I burned mine....then again, they were a bit large and the wife has all sorts of things cluttering up the garage.

I gotta say, when I torched them, the flames probably hit 50' in the air, it was short lived but pretty impressive.

DSCN2695.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

IMHO, for quality or high-end items (audio, guns, etc.) the original boxes and packing always adds value and increases the interest in what you are selling! I rarely, and I do mean rarely, buy any used audio equipment without the original boxes and packaging and I never get rid of boxes and packaging either.

Heck, I still have a Marantz 4400 (Quad Receiver) in the original box and Marantz overseas shipping box that I purchased in the Yokosuka, Japan Navy Exchange in January 1975 when I was transitioning back to NAS Miramar. It is sitting in a storage rack with all of my old Carver equipment, all in their original boxes! 😲:emotion-21:

• Like 1

I usually keep the boxes, in folded-down form.  They don’t take up all that much space (I live in an apartment), and really come in handy when you move.  I was very happy that the original owner I bought my La Scala IIs from had kept the boxes.  That way, they could be loaded safely into and out of my van, without improvising with moving blankets or whatever.  I still have the boxes for the Audiologic AL-750s that I bought new in 1980, and those speakers have been through 3 moves without any damage. 

As I mentioned, the folded boxes don’t take up all that much space, although the foam padding pieces (that perfectly cushion the tops and bottoms of the LS2s) are a bit bulkier than I expected.  I have no plans to move from here, but if I ever sell the LS2s, I know that their new owner will get them home safely.  The boxes and manuals might also add to their value.

Some of the other speakers, like the Heresy IIs and the original La Scalas, came without boxes.  All my Klipsch speakers (10 of them) were bought used, and only 4 came with boxes, which I still have.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:34 AM, Davis said:

I just noticed I still have the box to a JVC 26 inch TV I bought 28 years ago.

So I  vote keep em.

I bought a 32" JVC tv when HD first came out. I remember the box weighed "223 lbs"....and I said the tv weighed the same as me!

We are team #keeptheboxes. We have moved cross the country and back three times due to work - Extreme Long Distance Moves. Each time we moved, we were glad we had the original boxes and packing material for our speakers and our home theater components. We also have the boxes for our 70+ living room 4K tv and all the 65+ 4K bedrooms televisions/sound systems. We have invested so much in our HT setup and household electronics that is important to protect our speakers/subwoofers and televisions. We have one last move as we are not currently in our forever home. We store them neatly in the basement on top of the holiday decor bin. The empty boxes don't take up floor space but when it is time to move again we know exactly where to find them.  It gives us a peace of mind knowing the are packed right as we bounce and hit pot holes on the freeways while moving.

• 3 weeks later...