Cornwall, Cornscala, other? audition request

ChrisAZ

Hello all, I live in Phoenix Arizona and I’m looking for any local members that would invite me to hear their tube powered high efficiency speaker systems. I’m more active on Audiokarma (username ChrisAZ) has but since I’m interested in Klipsch I’m posting here as well. I’ve made the decision to sell enough of my vintage solid state equipment and speakers to fund a tube amp and appropriate speakers but I haven’t actually heard any(🤔) so I’m hesitant to drop several grand on a gamble. Based on reviews and popular opinions I’d really love to hear any of the following...

Speakers:
Klipsch Cornwall 
Cornscalas (especially the two way D)
Pi 3 or 4
Full range drivers
Any DIY I could build under $2000

Amps:
Fisher x202b or similar 
HH Scott 299c/d or similar 
Bob Latino st120 or similar 
Any DIY under $1500

Will you help?

P.S. I love vintage but I’d be grateful to hear any tube systems you all have and am open to suggestions. 

Chris

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Chris: I cannot read the content of your post it is faded to being almost invisible. Perhaps yo can change what ever the setting you are using. Good plan to find some speakers to audition. If you like two ways and you have a sizable power amp then I think that the Crites Cornscala "D" would be your best choice, with a smaller amp Wayne's two way with a JBL 2226 would get the job done. Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, moray james said:

Welcome aboard Chris: I cannot read the content of your post it is faded to being almost invisible. Perhaps yo can change what ever the setting you are using. Good plan to find some speakers to audition. If you like two ways and you have a sizable power amp then I think that the Crites Cornscala "D" would be your best choice, with a smaller amp Wayne's two way with a JBL 2226 would get the job done. Best of luck.

Moray, if you scroll to the bottom of the page, click Theme and chose Klipsch Light you can read it.  I'm too lazy to do that and normally just hold down my mouse left button and swipe the page like I'm going to copy it.  You can read it when it's high lighted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Default always works just fine for me.  ;)

I built a pair of Belle inspired clones using 2 different plans that  are quite accurate.  I always wanted a pair and non ever came up that looked decent and/or affordable before the flippers got to them.  So, I just built a pair.  I'd often pondered on making mine a 2-way using the Crites woofer along with the Faital driver & horn that is used in the Cornscala D.  Bob had said the passive crossover he has for them would most likely work.  Or build a pair of Cornscala D's.  Those are lots of good choices you posted for sure.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisAZ said:

appropriate speakers but I haven’t actually heard any

Visit a Klipsch dealer to "hear" some ... for a listing, check Klipsch.com .. believe there are several in your area such as walts.com ... haha; you do not have to buy new ones; just listen :D 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Blvdre said:

My 4pis are not finshed, but will be soon. If you haven't made a decision yet, I'll offer my opinion. I've owned Cornwalls, and still have a pair of modified La Scalas (which I'm holding on to).

did you try the reflex loaded riser mod on your LaScala? Curious to know what you tweaked on your LaScala's.

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum!

I have owned 2 sets of Cornwalls , built a pair of Type C Cornscalas as well as a trio of Wayne's 4pi speakers.

For "my ears", my Cornscalas easily sounded better than the others.

Mind you my CS build was perhaps a bit over built, see link:

The 4pi turned out very nice for me, but A-B'ing with the the CSs, the Cornscalas win.

I think Wayne's 2 ways would have benefited with a pair of his flanking subs as he recommends but I never built a pair.

Both the Cornwalls and Cornscalas were easier to power than the 4Pi, I think it takes a bit more to get that nice JBL 2226 going.

I would also bet the amps you are thinking about would be best suited to the Cornscalas.

4pi_HT_sm.jpg

4Pi_Single_sm.jpg

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, moray james said:

did you try the reflex loaded riser mod on your LaScala? Curious to know what you tweaked on your LaScala's.

No, I've never tried the reflex riser. I currently have a Fastlane Tractrix horn with one of Dave's aluminum CD motorboards, with the nice CNC'd transitions (don't think he offered these for long?).

I've had the CT-125s installed for many years now, but they are too laid back for my old frequency-challenged ears, so I'm going to swap the old k-77s back in. maybe I'll try the DE120s at some point.

I've had a few different crossovers in these; The original AA, I've built type A & Als Universals. I'm in the process of building an AP-500/Universal so I can throw the JBL 2470 mid back in. I had used it in the past with a slightly modified type A, and preferred the sound over the k-55.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and input! Please let me know if the text is still hard to read. I’ve been on vacation and haven’t had time to visit the forums much lately but I’m still on the hunt. I lucked out on a set of Heresy II drivers and crossovers for $40!!! The tweeters tested bad on a multimeter but no big deal. I think I might try building some nice custom styled tangent 400 type boxes for them or make them into Super Heresy 2.0’s. I suppose I could also just make some vanilla Heresy II’s, sell them and use the money elsewhere. This is all based on the assumption that standard H2’s won’t have the bass capabilities I’m after.

3 minutes ago, ChrisAZ said:

Can any of you offer a comparison of Super Heresy’s to Tangent 400’s? 

I suppose the Super Heresy would be the “better “ speaker but I’d like to hear a comparison between the two. Such as the difference between the front vs rear ports, how the cabinet volume comes into play etc...

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

As far as vintage amps/receivers, you should also consider Fisher 400C/500C.  Fantastic sound with most Klipsch.

I definitely am as well as many other great vintage units by Fisher, HH Scott, Heathkit, Mcintosh etc...I’m just having great difficulty choosing based on options. I need to make some local friends and hear some tube gear for myself. It’s been extremely fun just researching though. I’m just as enthralled by the aesthetics of vintage gear as the sound of quality. I’m an artist and really appreciate this stuff.