Cornwall, Cornscala, other? audition request

ChrisAZ

6 hours ago, ChrisAZ said:

I suppose the Super Heresy would be the “better “ speaker but I’d like to hear a comparison between the two. Such as the difference between the front vs rear ports, how the cabinet volume comes into play etc...

Vents all leak to some degree, larger vents leak more than smaller ones do. What they leak are rear reflections of the upper response of the woofer frequencies at and above crossover. Vents depending upon their size can also make nose due to air turbulence within the vent when played loud. Rear vent mounting is generally a good idea and not usually a problem with most floor standing loud speaker unless you want to position the speaker in a co planar fashion with its back side flush up against the front wall of the listening room then a front or side or top mounted vent are your options. Staying away from mounting your vent in the front of the cabinet is in general a good idea to minimize listening to vent noise.

Cornwall vents are very long extending almost to the rear baffle. In this situation they tend not to vent anywhere near as much noise as shorter vents do simply because the angle of entry into the vent has been cut down. I do not ever recall reading of comments pertaining to vent noise in a Cornwall nor have I noticed any personally. I hope this is helpful.

5 minutes ago, tipatina said:

Moray, Can you describe/link to a photo/plan for a the La Scala riser?

Here you go. There is an alternate method to achieve this. You can seal off the back of the top hat and install the vents there. Then you can re install the top hat on the bottom of the cabinet after removing the cover plate. In this way the top hat provides the additional volume necessary. With this method the modifications can be reversed if desired at a later date but you can more easily undo the mod if you use the riser method. it all depends upon whether or not  you want to raise your LaScala. I cannot imagine why anyone would not want to raise their LaScala so that the centre of the mid horn is placed at your seated ear level. I suppose that there could be circumstances but it is a beneficial thing to do if possible.

Klipsch LaScala vented riser mod....jpg

4 hours ago, justinsweber said:

If you were near LA/SoCal I could aid with a listen of tube amps and cornscalas of a few verifiers.  Phoenix is a bit far 😉

Dammit we just got back from a week in Encinitas! I knew I should have posted about the visit. Thank you for the invite though. Tell me more about your Cornscalas.

Ive built more than I can recall... Its the fun part.

Currently I have a 2way 15" woofer and larger Eliptical Faital Horn... Faital HF driver and ALK style crossover. The cab is 20" wide, 30"tall and 18" deep. Cab is braced to the hilt. 2way cornscalas are generally my favorites. 

2ndly, I have a 2way Heresy... 12" woofer, again larger format Faital horn... special ALK crossover AP12-800 for the Eminence 12LFA... works just like his AP12 for the K33 but  retuned for the smaller woofer. This is an amazing speaker... 1/2 the size of my larger Cornscala with the same HF.

Im in process of building a 3way CornscalaI was trying out another companies amps and paired them with my DIY Heresy... The sound was good but not compelling. I blamed the smaller speaker and decided Id build the 3way again since I know its a proven performer... With some friends over I switched back my amps and fell back in love with my smaller speaker... So now Ill have an extra pair yet again. Ive set my room up to hand the large 3way which is 24W x 36T x 16D. This is a Faital epical tractrix tweeter, Faital epical tractrix mid range and 15" woofer. Though I  prefer a 2way, many want too hear a 3way, esp when demoing gear. 

Also in the hopper is a cab for a set of Audio Nirvana 15" I got from Joe. Dave ran the bass box pro calculations and will likely do the initial build. It will be used interchangeable with the DIY Heresys. 

Re tubes... I have a whole host to choice from... much more from a 50s musical voicing instead of more modern voicings.

Here are some pics of what Im currently running or built ran in the last 12mo. 

IMG_1741.jpeg

2way.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How big is the room those Cornscalas are in?
I probably should have mentioned that the room my new speakers will be in is less than ideal, especially for corner placement. It measures 13.5’ wide x 17.5 deep, with a 9’ ceiling and lots of openings. If I absolutely have to have corner placement I’ll have to place them on the back wall where the couch currently is and run very long speakers wires. Ideally I need speakers that will sound good in the current speaker location. What do you guys recommend?

1f14474fbc35ea0cb80cf8ef5fabe3a4.jpgec345b8289dc009a4c8b327727d89db3.jpg79e60559858f68102d2acdfcdae6a9fe.jpg

I also have a smaller bedroom system(12.5’ x 10’ with 8’ ceiling, currently with speakers in corners), but would rather have the tube rig in the big room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give. The size of the living room. You might consider  bob frites CS-1.5T. It’s uses a 12” woofer like the Heresy. It’s ported... digging lower than a heresy and closer to a cornscala. The mid horn is fantastic with lots of driver choices. 

My own diy heresy design is similar but I used a larger mid horn.  

Lots of choices... size of speaker really determines what’s the best choice.  

Give. The size of the living room. You might consider  bob frites CS-1.5T. It’s uses a 12” woofer like the Heresy. It’s ported... digging lower than a heresy and closer to a cornscala. The mid horn is fantastic with lots of driver choices. 
My own diy heresy design is similar but I used a larger mid horn.  
Lots of choices... size of speaker really determines what’s the best choice.  

I’ve looked at those just haven’t heard many reviews. Earlier you mentioned you prefer two way speakers over three way, can I ask why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More relaxed too end.  Only one crossover point.  Easier to make sound as one unified source. 

Bobs designs are very very well thought out.  The 1.5 is similar in size and it’s ported design to the Klipsch tangent Speakers which were well regarded. The 2 way design of it gets rid of the k700 and k77 for a modern tratrix horn.  The down size of that specific horn is that it needs to be crossed higher that the k700 or than the larger horn her uses in the cornscala d. 

My smaller cornscalas are 20x30x18 and are very similar in thinking to his cornscala d.  

i recently did a diy 2way heresy.  Sealed cab heresy with cornscala type d  top end. It’s as wonderful speaker but costs about what the cornscala did. Smaller size, same price, similar performance... not as deep or large as the type d.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrisAZ said:

I’ve looked at those just haven’t heard many reviews. Earlier you mentioned you prefer two way speakers over three way, can I ask why?

Old-school designers of speakers for use in a home environment generally had ONE MAIN GOAL, which was to work towards having a single point emission of the sound which also met or exceeded a performance with a flat frequency response throughout the frequency-range of human hearing.  This has still not been achieved.  The closest any speaker designer has come is with a two-way design.  That is why PWK wanted to come out with a two-way that could perform as well as his three-way Klipschorn….and the Jubilee was born out of that desire and his final speaker design actually outperforms the Klipschorn...AS A TWO-WAY design!

The simple importance of a speaker unit which is a one-way design rests on it's not relying on a listening distance past the point of separate drivers of multi-way designs finally "blending together" to JUST APPEAR as if it is a single source.  It is a goal which has not been achieved for an in-home speaker design...YET! 

There is a downside to this single-point goal to some extent.  What "soundstage" which people with good stereo hearing "hear" from multiple points of origin in multi-way speaker designs, tends to be more open  in many cases...but that is really just a perception, and not a reality.  Here is why:  The ONLY way to REALLY achieve hearing RECORDED music in its REAL SOUNDSTAGE would be to have each instrument involved recorded on a separate track, to be played by a separate speaker for each track, WITH those speakers in an array identical to how all those instruments were actually laid out when they played together...provided they DID actually play together!  This is simply impossible to do for all music, without having to constantly add or subtract speakers and rearrange them for each thing played.  So, the very best you can do is to have some kind of compromise going on...and the SIMPLEST compromise is the three-speaker stereo array...for stereo listening, to provide a perception of a soundstage. 

UNFORTUNATELY, the recording engineers who are mixing-down and blending tracks have a lot to do with the perceptions of a "soundstage" a listener "hears". 

Here is an analogy for ya...everybody has somebody they know in their family who has a one or more secret ingredients or special techniques to make their version of a recipe which they have prepared taste different (BETTER!?!) than somebody else's version...so goes it with studio recording engineers.  And therefore, so goes it with recordings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1