The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
noviygera

Peavey FH1 vs Jubilee or even University Dean

Guys,

wanted to ask for your thoughts on the folded horns in the title because I am considering those, as the three candidates. Possibly ,I am missing some exotic options but all I need is this:

To cover nicely a 60-400hz, below my multicell horns. Gonna use 6 or 12 db/oct filters, no steep filters.

The 60-400 range is critical in my opinion and must be of great fidelity, clear, natural. etc. Flat response would be nice as I do not like to use EQ if at all possible. The folded horns may not be the best option for the multicell midrange but I don't know if Onken style cab is any better.  Why the three examples I chose?

U. Dean -- least amount of sharp folds (looking at the plans)

Jubilee -- just see good feedback on it

FH1 -- seems most people consider it as good or better than LaScala, so it's on the list.

Who has compared any of the above?

I'm not familiar with the FH1, but if it's "as good or better" than the LaScala then between those two (Jubilee/LaScala), the Jubilee wins hands down.  (I own both)

Peavey will do a slightly better job of the top end extension than say a LaScala but neither a FH1 or a LaScala will get you to 60 Hz with with level you will need at 60 Hz they have the response of a Heresy.

Your options are the Jub the University Classic or The university Dean (versions of the same design) and a third which I think is the best overall and that is the California by Ernst Georg Beck.

Ernst Beck California horn.gif

Beck California exterior view.jpg

Beck California interior view 2.jpg

Beck California interior view.jpg

Modified California Bass Horn.gif

Regarding the Jubilee:

what causes the significant peaks in the frequency responce 70-300. Looks severe (going off online measurement posts). Is this an issue, sonically? 

The California bass horn looks very competent but will the multiple sharp folds cause issues when crossing at 400hz?

The "dean" looks good but has anyone heard one?

2 hours ago, noviygera said:

Guys,

wanted to ask for your thoughts on the folded horns in the title because I am considering those, as the three candidates. Possibly ,I am missing some exotic options but all I need is this:

To cover nicely a 60-400hz, below my multicell horns. Gonna use 6 or 12 db/oct filters, no steep filters.

The 60-400 range is critical in my opinion and must be of great fidelity, clear, natural. etc. Flat response would be nice as I do not like to use EQ if at all possible. The folded horns may not be the best option for the multicell midrange but I don't know if Onken style cab is any better.  Why the three examples I chose?

U. Dean -- least amount of sharp folds (looking at the plans)

Jubilee -- just see good feedback on it

FH1 -- seems most people consider it as good or better than LaScala, so it's on the list.

Who has compared any of the above?

I have owned them ALL. What do you want to know? The Peavey FH-1 I call a "cheap Scala" but both of them are short horns down 90-100 Hz (2 1/2 to 3 ft.). Below that, they are a sealed box in a very tight "corner." The Jubilee are about a 5 1/2 foot horn, with bass extension from corner loading, otherwise they roll off at 60 Hz., since the Jube can be PEQ'd down to 30 Hz. easily while in a corner,  you get by without a sub but still better with a Sub below 40 Hz. The Peavey needs a sub at about 80 Hz. while the LaScala can use one at about 90-100 Hz. depending on which woofer is used.

• Like 1

I want to know everything I can, short of buying all of these and comparing them side-by-side. On a more serious note though, I do have a few specific questions:

For the jubilees, what part of the design/folding accounts for the significant peaks between 70 and 300 Hz?

If anyone has experience with “university dean”, how does it compare sound wise and in bandwidth to the other folded horns mentioned in this thread?

And, finally, but a fair question to ask:

Other than a straight full exponential horn what would be your horn of choice to use below a multi cell? For reasonable purposes we can set the bandwidth 70 to 400 Hz, Since I have some good subs.

thanks.

herman

51 minutes ago, noviygera said:

For reasonable purposes we can set the bandwidth 70 to 400 Hz, Since I have some good subs.

My experience sez the fewer the folds in a horn (straight axis is best) the better, so I guess the FH-1 wins. No experience with the Universal.

ClaudeJ1, 

are there recommended driver replacements if the used FH-1 boxes are beat (to make the most out of FH-1, fidelity)?

You may want to look at the following thread on University Classics, done by someone in the Netherlands.. Done as a two way and he crossed the woofer to the tweeter at 1 Khz. Beware all the plans out thee. The compound angles on the throat are a bit tricky to cut. My son was working on new values which we are sure will work without having to fill a bunch of seams with caulk. A former member (wish he was still here), was drawing up new plans in Autocad, but we challenged a couple of his details and he deleted everything off and left. He was a great asset to the forums.

• Like 1

Are there performance differences between University Classic and Dean?

Has anyone compared these to LaScalas or other folded horns discussed here?

niko boom has two sets of Khorns and said while the khorn's move the room the University Classic's move the slab and prefers the University horns. I have read other comments suggesting the University are a good bass horn with extended upper range. That said I have yet to find a better confirmed response than the E.G. Beck California horn. The LaScala is not a bass horn and will need to be crossed over at 80 - 90Hz. it can make it out to a 450Hz. xover just and getting rough. There is a good build thread at the Lansing Heritage forum on the California. I have forgotten my password there and cannot log on or I would give you a link.

The Dean and the Classic are essentially the same horn with the Dean designed to fit into a corner  more effectively than a Classic will so I would expect somewhat better loading with a Dean if that works for you, out of the corner they ought to be very similar.

20 hours ago, noviygera said:

ClaudeJ1, 

are there recommended driver replacements if the used FH-1 boxes are beat (to make the most out of FH-1, fidelity)?

I'm a fan of the Eminence Kappa 15C for the FH-1. It's also the best bang for the buck at Parts Express. But after owning the FH-1, I designed and built the Quarter Pie horn, which beats them ALL. Flat to 51 Hz. then add a tapped horn sub below that. Super easy build. Look at how much smoother the Quarter Pie is vs. the FH-1, AND you get an extra octave below 100 Hz...............all HORN LOADED.

Thanks Claude, the Quarter Pie horn looks interesting.

Also, the "Juliebee" by "ajsons" looks like a candidate. Anyone know what happened with that project and if anyone actually built one?

Edited by noviygera
added link

On 8/28/2019 at 5:32 PM, noviygera said:

The California bass horn looks very competent but will the multiple sharp folds cause issues when crossing at 400hz?

The response of the California is the smoothest and most extended (in both directions) that I have yet to see in any such horn, definitely the best of those on offer here.

You need these, on the outside of my La Scalas. Claude can tell you because he used to use them as well, but horizontal like they are supposed to be.

mwm_bins_at_home.jpg

• Haha 1

Well, yes they are a bit insane. I hope you appreciate the humor. They are part of the pro line and the ones I have are meant for use behind the big screen. The are supposed to lay in a horizontal position. You can see the different systems using them here:

https://www.klipsch.com/pro/cinema/behind-the-screen

There a a lot of great folks on here who do actually use these in their homes.

Bruce

On 9/3/2019 at 12:23 PM, moray james said:

James,

have you auditioned one or going off of the internet resources?

have not heard one but Beck's response has been verified by builders. There is a good thread at the Lansing Heritage site but I cannot recall the title perhaps you can find that. you might track down the builder in the photo attached. there have been a number of builds on line.

Sato11.jpg

• Like 1