Cornwall IV

tipatina

12 minutes ago, AHall said:

VFw7Sdi.jpg

Damn, it does look like a larger horn.. if the Chief put a k-500 style horn in this thing he swung for the fence! I hope it is that would make a big difference IMO. Look at the screw holes top of the mid horn to tweeter.

Forte-III_Walnut_Front.jpg

5 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

if the Chief put a k-500 style horn in this thing he swung for the fence!

A K510 is 15" wide. Too small for that. I'm pretty sure it's the same 702 as Adam mentioned. And probably a different driver since it's not a two way as on the 8060.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MenloBob said:

A K510 is 15" wide. Too small for that. I'm pretty sure it's the same 702 as Adam mentioned. And probably a different driver since it's not a two way as on the 8060.

My CF-4 horn is 13"  (or 13 1/2" can't remember off hand) wide? I had it next to a k-510 and the extra width on the 510 was just flange material not horn throat. 

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

My CF-4 horn is 13"  (or 13 1/2" can't remember off hand) wide? I had it next to a k-510 and the extra width on the 510 was just flange material not horn throat. 

Fair enough but if you look at the picture above that's a fifteen inch woofer below the horn. The horn is clearly at least a couple of inches narrower including the flange.

6 hours ago, Sunnysideup said:

That mid horn looks good and should sound gorgeous... 😍 A jaw drop moment for folks about to receive their new Cornwall IIIs, like me. 😭

Got my CW III 2 months ago... basically on the same boat as you.. 

Don't fret it too much... CW III is a great speakers...

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees
On 8/29/2019 at 6:40 PM, jjptkd said:

It looks to me going by the pictures posted here that its a CF-4 horn with mumps, the tweeters are the same in the forte III so going by the screw hole alignment the Cornwall IV mid horn is larger.

Ding ding. We have a winner. It is an infected k603 horn.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

@Chief bonehead

From the KGI press release:

New features include:

• All new K-702 midrange compression mated to a modified proprietary Tractrix® horn with patented Klipsch Mumps technology for even mid frequencies and consistent sound throughout the listening area.
  • A new high-fidelity, steep slope network, for truer to life sound reproduction with best in class efficiency and power handling.
  • New ports with Tractrix flares that deliver the most efficient, fastest air transfer in their class. The result is reduced port noise and clean, more powerful, punchy bass.

So what's the difference between sensitivity and efficiency?  I know they are interrelated, is one a an expression of "work."

What's this "best in class" business? There's no speaker in that "class."

Do the guys at Samsung,  I mean Harmen Intl., I mean JBL have something they are pumping out of China that's comparable?

Travis

• Moderators

@Chief bonehead on having the mumps (quote in reference to Forte III horn with mumps):

"Literally named for the swollen salivary glands they sort of resemble, Roy Delgado's patented Mumps are curved 1" ridges that round off the interior corners within the throat of the K-703-M midrange horn. The goal, according to Klipsch's website, is "to improve coverage and control of the key mid-frequency band."

"Studying various data," Delgado noted, "I noticed that when the directivity index tends to drop, right before the horn starts to lose control of the coverage pattern, it beams, the coverage pattern becomes narrower and starts to wrap around itself like a cloverleaf effect, and the output comes down. I wanted the waves to stay in contact with the horn walls so that when they exit the horn that beaming is eliminated. Working with modeling clay, I noticed that the more clay I put into the corners of the horn, that tended to eliminate that beaming. Usually you avoid that by raising the crossover point, which isn't the most efficient use of the horn. The Mumps allow me to use the horn in a wider bandwidth."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-forte-iii-loudspeaker#ckkSAfH01vJIUdpv.99

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, RLink said:

STILL NO QUALITY WOOD VENEER SUBWOOFER????  

I know what you mean. I am trying to find a 30 year old teak JBL B460 right now for my other system.

Subs are always like..."hey I am just a huge ugly monolithic black cube trying to hide in a shadow.  Don't put any wood veneer on me, your wife might be able to see me." 

I am not completly sure where the "Heritage" emblem gets hung on that product though.