Cornwall IV

tipatina

I heard the new Cornwall lV’s at RMAF today.  I was somewhat skeptical going in but I must say they sound fantastic.  Really great midrange resolution and very tight controlled bass.  I have modded my Cornwall 1’s and they are sounding really good to me but the new cornwalls are definitely a step up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would assume the new Cornwall !V would have more open and natural sounding mids and the port mods should be just what is needed to get rid of the sound of the resonance of the box then lended a tubby slow sound to the bass.  These two changes should make them a much better speaker.

Damn,

Those do seem to be excellent. The ported bottom end may be the ticket. The port flares are a step up. Usually a port is a hole in the cabinet. Like the decision to front firing port. More flexibility in wall spacing. 

The price may be zooming up, but the competing new speakers are not getting cheaper either. 

The horn loaded ports sure look pretty. Would love to hack some on my Hiii.

18 hours ago, larryk said:

I heard the new Cornwall lV’s at RMAF today.  I was somewhat skeptical going in but I must say they sound fantastic.  Really great midrange resolution and very tight controlled bass.  I have modded my Cornwall 1’s and they are sounding really good to me but the new cornwalls are definitely a step up.

Hi, thank you for this report, you are one of the first in the community to have listened to Cornwall IV, lucky man 😎 This confirms that the chef has worked well, the Cornwall IV are certainly better than the old versions I, II and III 👍

• Like 1

Here are the first images of the presentation of the Cornwall IV at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest of Denver, but also Heresy with the new tweeter CWIV, it seems to me that the flag of the medium is new too, but I'm not sure. The base of these Heresy is black too, it's a new riser for the standard series, I do not know if it has already been used for special series. Anyway as much Klipsch has communicated on the new Cornwall IV, as far as I can not find anything on a new Heresy 🤔

dyjr.jpg

ir3p.jpg

ut07.jpg

Edit: a priori it is a new Heresy, here is the back, it is no longer close !!! Damned  :o I hope Chief Bonehead worked well, normally yes :D

twtm.jpg[/url

😍 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure the "tractrix port" is nothing BUT cosmetics anyhow. Sonically, IMHO quoting PWK: "It doesn't make a dimes worth of difference."

I think the tractrix flare improves the flow efficiency, allowing the port tuning frequency to be more stable over a wider output range.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill W. said:

I think the tractrix flare improves the flow efficiency, allowing the port tuning frequency to be more stable over a wider output range.

Not sure about that one. It's only 1 leg of the 4th order acoustic high pass filter, so not as consequential as the aesthetics would suggest. But the flare certainly can't hurt and it does look cool.

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Not the impression I got from Roy when it was first introduced 🙂

Maybe it makes a huge difference on the smaller speakers, but it takes 3 of them in parallel to even make more of a cosmetic difference on a cornwall. Without a Delta of measurements from Roy or anyone else, including me, it's just an impression based on experience in designing bass reflex boxes since my teens. I can be convinced, but right now, I'm stuck in the 90% aesthetics/10% function mode, which means it's probably less than a 1 db contribution either way on a Cornwall vs. a bookshelf like the RP 600 where the relatively tiny box is more critical.