Cornwall IV

tipatina

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

last week I made a post of the kind of data that I think is relevant for home hi-fi consumers to use ...  There were no comments or questions on this post, even though I think it is important enough to discuss--at length.  

I saw that post.  Didn't think it needed comment or discussion as it seemed rather definitive.

• Thanks 1

There probably is a discussion still needed related to the relative importance of the plots/measures.  I did some rearranging of the plots after I initially posted it, but there is room for discussion.  Once you start down the road of correcting for things like phase/group delay or SPL response, there are different schools of thought in what is the most important, but in order to correct for any measured quantities, first you need to measure what you've got (e.g., REW and calibrated microphone)--then you need some way to correct the response (e.g., DSP crossover or upstream convolver like JRiver, etc.).

Chris

I had hoped to get to listen, but Klipsch did not have the Cornwall IV at CES. High end audio seems to be moving away from this event and over to the "Audio Fest" type get togethers. Glad that I get to read about the Cornwall IV here on the forum, and looking forward to more of everyone's thoughts when people hear them.

Has anybody done a listening comparison between the Cornwall IV and the Altec 19? Both are vented 15" systems. The Altec cabinet is considerably larger, so it digs deeper into the bass, and it's a 2-way crossed over at 1200 Hz. The Cornwall is a 3-way that crosses over at only 700 Hz (and 5000 Hz).

Last time I heard an Altec 19 was in the 1970s, and I was impressed. Last time I heard a Cornwall IV was in October, and I was impressed. But the 40 year gap makes direct comparison difficult.

IF this was covered in this thread or elsewhere, I missed it. I tried to read the whole thing. I couldn't help but notice that there is a 25lb swing in the weight from the 3 to the 4. That is a pretty significant difference. Does anyone know why the 4 is so much lighter than the 3? I would have guessed the opposite.

• Moderators
On 1/7/2020 at 6:16 AM, Dave A said:

Hey if you turn your phone 90 degrees you get almost real life and not a truncated slot of life. Just sayin. Seeing this reminds me to ask what ever happened to the free standing Walnut tweeters?

I am combing them with other goodies to auction off during Pilgramage to raise money for the Museum. 

Thank you again for that very generous donation.

• Moderators
On 1/7/2020 at 7:29 AM, BeFuddledinMn said:

I don’t blame Roy for not wanting to divulge competitive information, but I’d like to see a disguised comparison between the Cornwall III and IV illustrating the change in both frequency response and distortion from say 30hz to 1000hz. Of course there’s a product line to market, but I’m still thinking......3/4 Klipschorn and 4/5ths LaScala.....

I know there’s a lot of chat here about flared ports, woofer location and the new midrange, but what do we know about the crossover especially concerning the woofer and midrange. Extreme slope? 

I will let the people who attended @Chief bonehead Education Class respond to this in more depth,  but during the class he had everyone listen to the lab standards of the previous models and then he took had everyone listen to the lab standards of the new models.

Then at one point he had showed everyone what was involved in the evolutuon of the networks, the work that Paul had done on networks, what he took from that, etc.

@jwc was clearly taking a lot of mental notes, he can probably add some. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:29 AM, BeFuddledinMn said:

but what do we know about the crossover especially concerning the woofer and midrange. Extreme slope? 

No not extreme slope.

Roy let us hear the CW4 with different active crossover settings.  Not everyone agreed what they liked the best.  We then got to see the raw curves of different slopes.  The highest slope was the 24dB.

To my liking, was the 12dB between the woofer and mid.  Again not everyone agreed.  The final product was a 12dB with an extra "pole" in there that made it closer to 18dB.  Roy would play with that last component in the chain to get the phase right.  Something I could never do with my novice skills.

jc

• Like 1