Cornwall IV

tipatina

13 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

I believe someone asked to see the CW4 filter: here it is

Tsk, tsk; those zip-ties are the wrong color.

Six inductors, six capacitors. Three 2nd-order filters; either that or asymmetric crossover slopes.

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:01 PM, Chris A said:

As far as the Cornwall IV, I can see some of why a lot of people like what they're hearing--mostly midrange and tweeter driver/horn overhaul and I can only guess what Roy did with the crossover (although if someone were to open up a Cornwall IV and take a picture of the crossover--or perhaps even post a schematic--it would be much less of a mystery).  I do congratulate Roy on the CW-IV design as being Guttenberg's "Loudspeaker of the Year".  That's saying a lot, since there are so many factors (and so many non-technical ones, like the art of making loudspeakers that consumers will like--rather just make them accurate reproducers).  The original Cornwall design seemed to be PWK's upgrade from the Heresy (model "H"), and Roy has taken that design and really done something with it--enough to get real notice.  If there was a time that Klipsch could use that added reputation boost, now is a good time.

Chris

The demand was there 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

Six inductors, six capacitors. Three 2nd-order filters; either that or asymmetric crossover slopes.

Hi,

I see at least 7 inductors, it seems to me that Klipsh always has an 18db / oct (3nd-order) on the tweeter, certainly the 1.5uF visible.

And then there must be RLC circuit(s) in parrallele on the squawker and maybe also the woofer to compensate for the bump in the impedance curve

😉

14 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

I see at least 7 inductors,

I only count 6; see attached.

And then there must be RLC circuit(s) in parrallele on the squawker and maybe also the woofer to compensate for the bump in the impedance curve

Zobels are often mounted at the drivers, and don't contribute to crossover filter order.

Image1.jpg

16 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

Sorry, I made a mistake, I meant seven capacitors :D There are 2 one on the other in the bottom right !

No problem. 

Yes, I didn't notice that "hidden" capacitor, but two capacitors in parallel are electrically one capacitor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeFuddledinMn said:

Looks like a 12db slope on both sides of the mid and the woofer. And I’m guessing those carefully sculpted bass ports were tailored to reduce distortion/resonance relative to the past. But by how much? Is the Cornwall IV getting closer to clean LaScala bass?

From what I heard at the Bonehead class, the Cornwall IV went deeper than the LaScala, but it didn't quite have the horn-loaded bass character of the LaScala. That's not to say that the CW bass was bad; it was just different.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:35 AM, Edgar said:

Yes and they hid the slobber, I mean solder joints.

12 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Yup the physical impact of the La Scala was better but the fidelity of the CW4 was stellar. If I had to choose between the two the CW4 would easily win. 

And the CW4 was noticeably better in the midrange, at least to my ears.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 2:53 PM, BeFuddledinMn said:

Looks like a 12db slope on both sides of the mid and the woofer. And I’m guessing those carefully sculpted bass ports were tailored to reduce distortion/resonance relative to the past. But by how much? Is the Cornwall IV getting closer to clean LaScala bass?

Yes.  The Chief told us most (all?) of the filters were 2-pole.  But that does not mean 12 dB/oct for the network.  With contouring, the slopes are much steeper, a la the Type AA's 21-ish dB tweeter high pass.