Cornwall IV

tipatina

On 1/4/2020 at 5:36 PM, Chief bonehead said:

This post, like many others I read, just really amuses me. It’s funny to read about the impressions and guesses of those that HAVENT heard this speaker by the so called experts vs those that HAVE heard  them. By the way......I am on the marketing side......lol!!!!  

Knowing you, I'm sure they sound great and are a great improvement over the rest, ESPECIALLY the Midrange Horn (where we live). I give up on my simplistic point about the flared ports. You win.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 1:50 PM, Bill W. said:

I think the tractrix flare improves the flow efficiency, allowing the port tuning frequency to be more stable over a wider output range.

I have no doubt that a Flared Port is superior from an airflow standpoint. I used flared ports in both my Super Heresy 1.0 and Super Heresy 2.0 Modifications, so DUH!

What surprises me is the "much ado about next to nothing" aspect of all the hoopla concerning flared vs non-flared porting in general.  The performance differential as compared to box volume, port volume, port depth, and driver parameters, crossover balance, in TOTAL have 100 times greater effect audibly and measurably than whether or not there's a flare.

I was just trying to keep all of that in perspective by pointing out that the COSMETIC difference was far greater than any other aspect of performance parameters by quoting PWK's famous "dime's worth of difference" comment.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:06 PM, Edgar said:

And the CW4 was noticeably better in the midrange, at least to my ears.

Yes, indeed. A much more relevant observation than creating exaggerated BS about flared ports, which is just a tiny tweak in comparison to the new horn and driver.

On 4/11/2020 at 1:41 PM, Edgar said:

The frequency response curve shown on this link doesn’t worry me, even the apparent crossover related dips, I’ve seen highly thought of speakers with far worse. The distortion curves seem worrisome, especially for a Klipsch Heritage speaker. Are the distortion curves as bad as they look? Could something have been amiss with the speakers, or perhaps in the measuring technique?  

15 minutes ago, Kevin S said:

The frequency response curve shown on this link doesn’t worry me, even the apparent crossover related dips, I’ve seen highly thought of speakers with far worse. The distortion curves seem worrisome, especially for a Klipsch Heritage speaker. Are the distortion curves as bad as they look? Could something have been amiss with the speakers, or perhaps in the measuring technique?  

I was the responder who mentioned that it might be due to a defective component or driver. Distortion that remains a constant percentage of the output level is unusual -- usually percent distortion increases with level.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 4/12/2020 at 10:28 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I have no doubt that a Flared Port is superior from an airflow standpoint. I used flared ports in both my Super Heresy 1.0 and Super Heresy 2.0 Modifications, so DUH!

What surprises me is the "much ado about next to nothing" aspect of all the hoopla concerning flared vs non-flared porting in general.  The performance differential as compared to box volume, port volume, port depth, and driver parameters, crossover balance, in TOTAL have 100 times greater effect audibly and measurably than whether or not there's a flare.

I was just trying to keep all of that in perspective by pointing out that the COSMETIC difference was far greater than any other aspect of performance parameters by quoting PWK's famous "dime's worth of difference" comment.

Not just s flared poet. The flare does make a very significant difference. Our measurements and study have proven that. I think mr K said that tractor flared ports were about 13.5 cents difference. So have you heard the speaker?  

• Thanks 2

• Klipsch Employees
23 hours ago, Edgar said:

I was the responder who mentioned that it might be due to a defective component or driver. Distortion that remains a constant percentage of the output level is unusual -- usually percent distortion increases with level.

Hmmmm. Doesn’t look like our data.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Not just s flared poet. The flare does make a very significant difference. Our measurements and study have proven that. I think mr K said that tractor flared ports were about 13.5 cents difference. So have you heard the speaker?  

Well, then I guess the extra 3.5 pennies should put me over the edge. I'm looking forward to hearing it. I have owned a several cornwalls of different years and looking forward to hearing the IV. I'm sure that you spent a whole bunch of time on that one, probably more than the Heresy IV. I'm really glad to see that you got "turned loose" on the Heritage line, as it were, since I think it really needed updating to modern standards of performance.

"The life so short, the craft so long to learn"............................Geoffrey Chaucer

14 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Claude did  you find out if the midrange driver of the CW 4  is 16 ohms or 8 ohms   -tx

I have no idea. I'd have to own a pair or know someone who does and who'd let me look.

But you could always ask Roy as I don't think the midrange impedance matters that much,  since it would just mean different component values to maintain the same topology and performance.

Woke up this morning to find  this is the front driveway, special delivery from Hope, Arkansas. Who doesn't need a little Hope is this day and age?.  KCIV's and  KFIII's,  in Black Ash  and Ebony,  respectively.   I will be doing a  Heresy IV comparison, even though I know the answer already. 

IMG_6867.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pete Mote said:

Woke up this morning to find  this is the front driveway, special delivery from Hope, Arkansas. Who doesn't need a little Hope is this day and age?.  KCIV's and  KFIII's,  in Black Ash  and Ebony,  respectively.   I will be doing a  Heresy IV comparison, even though I know the answer already. 

IMG_6867.jpg

I wake up every morning hoping to find speakers like these sitting in my driveway!

And I don't even have a driveway!

I would say that you are starting to have too many speakers, but that't just nonsense talk around here.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I wake up every morning hoping to find speakers like these sitting in my driveway!

And I don't even have a driveway!

I would say that you are starting to have too many speakers, but that't just nonsense talk around here.

Enjoy!

If this is wrong then I don't ever want to be right!   3 pairs of Scala's,  Corn III's California style,  Corn 4's, Heresy 4's, Forte 3's  and a silly R-28PF for kicks.  I've definitely got the  Klipsch-19  in a strong way.  Stay thirsty my friends.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pete Mote said:

If this is wrong then I don't ever want to be right!   3 pairs of Scala's,  Corn III's California style,  Corn 4's, Heresy 4's, Forte 3's  and a silly R-28PF for kicks.  I've definitely got the  Klipsch-19  in a strong way.  Stay thirsty my friends.

I'd make furn of you, but I have 2 pair of La Scala's, 2 pair of Belle's, 2 pair of Heresy's, RB61's and a few others scattered around.

• Haha 1