Cornwall IV

tipatina

I assume, but I don't know for sure, that it is a K-33 like the previous models.

Although these are sometimes made for Klipsch  by Eminence, the K-33 can't be purchased from Eminence, it is proprietary. Whether a Kappalite is similar enough, or whether it may or may not be better, is an open question. 

If you are doing a DIY, you might want to look at some of the Cornscala builds. The best versions seem to be the ones actually specified by Bob Crites (there are multiple configurations). His versions seem to have the most "design" in them and not merely various parts tossed together. I am obviously showing my bias here.

If you are trying to mimic the above Cornwall system, two of the major difficulties you will have is getting the cabinet geometry right  (including ports) correct. (use BECs recommendations). The other major problem will be getting a mid-range horn that is Modified tractrix (with the mumps) in design. They are designed by Klipsch (Roy Delgado) and not sold to DIYers. I know of no good substitutes. Again, my bias is showing.

Other than those two major snags. It is just a matter of getting a dozen or so other variables correct (esp the crossover). 

Good Luck,

-Tom

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 8:41 PM, IB Slammin said:

Hey Boss,

Where does the mid horn cross??

tc

700Hz                                                 specs here :  https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/Cornwall-2019-Spec-Sheet-v01.pdf

https://www.klipsch.com/products/cornwall-iv-floorstanding-speaker

2 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Thanks. With the larger horn I had hoped that it would cross deeper......

40 minutes ago, IB Slammin said:

Thanks. With the larger horn I had hoped that it would cross deeper......

At various times, Roy has talked about the importance of matching the polar pattern of each driver in the crossover region to make the transition as seamless as possible. I suspect that was a key element in the choice here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

Any word on whether they will use all birch ply in order to enhance water resistance?

I see you OD 🤣

20 hours ago, Marvel said:

If I didn't love fully horn loaded systems, I could really be tempted with these...

Bookshelf speakers next to your MWM's?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

A lot of people don't like Ti crossed that low or used in the mids in general.  I know several folks vote for phenolic along with me.  Seems more realistic. Wonder if the poly is close.

I'm temporarily using my LS crossovers with my MWMs and K-69/BM-D750 drivers, and with the crossover rolling in the tweeter, the Ti  as only mids, it sounds pretty smooth. I know the K-69 is a little ragged up higher. I've always been pretty satisfied with the phenolic diaphragms.

18 hours ago, Bill W. said:

At various times, Roy has talked about the importance of matching the polar pattern of each driver in the crossover region to make the transition as seamless as possible. I suspect that was a key element in the choice here.

Thanks Bill. I had not considered that.

My ear hears something a bit odd when a coned woofer produces the mids in a reflex design. I want to hear the horn produce most of the midrange.

I cross my DBB's at 450hz using an extreme slope circuit on the LF board. Subjective I guess.  ???

tc

• Klipsch Employees
3 hours ago, ODS123 said:

At more than 2” taller than the IIIs it will be a bit harder to fit these in with many decors.   They were already gigantic.  Still, I look forward to hearing them at my dealer.

They are actually the same height. In the old spec sheet, the riser was not taken into account. 

• Like 1